Great win (Why so quiet on here)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrible performance until he changed it. Exactly the kind of football that could have cost Dickov his job at the start of the month.

First half we got chances from out wide, M'Voto and Baxter exposing a back four that couldn't deal with width and failing to finish. But we didn't get it wide enough.

But most of our play was hoof it up to Simpson and see what came off it. Jack :censored: being the result. The was also the hoof it up to Derbyshire approach which was equally unsuccessful. Ridiculous when you have a player who runs the channels so well.

Subs came on and some nice interplay down the right won a corner from which we scored. Similar for the second, kept it on the deck down the left, worked it across to Baxter who finished beautifully.

We are a far better side when we keep it on the floor. I don't mind mixing it up occasionally. But get it wide, beat your man and get it in the box is where we have real strength. For most of today we played to Orient's strengths.

A word for Matt Smith too. Made a difference off the bench. Again.

Good last 15 minutes. Great result.

Edited by opinions4u

Terrible performance until he changed it. Exactly the kind of football that could have cost Dickov his job at the start of the month.

First half we got chances from out wide, M'Voto and Baxter exposing a back four that couldn't deal with width and failing to finish. But we didn't get it wide enough.

But most of our play was hoof it up to Simpson and see what came off it. Jack :censored: being the result. The was also the hoof it up to Derbyshire approach which was equally unsuccessful. Ridiculous when you have a player who runs the channels so well.

Subs came on and some nice interplay down the right won a corner from which we scored. Similar for the second, kept it on the deck down the left, worked it across to Baxter who finished beautifully.

We are a far better side when we keep it on the floor. I don't mind mixing it up occasionally. But get it wide, beat your man and get it in the box is where we have real strength. For most of today we played to Orient's strengths.

Pretty much how i saw it.

Dont think it was that bad a performance but it was frustrating how everytime we got the ball on the deck we cut them to ribbons and created some good moments but at times we just hoofed onto the head of Chorley and Clarke who were more than happy to deal with it - i think Furmans ability to keep the ball find a blue shirt even if its sideways might have helped today. SImspon did OK but im struggling to find a place for him in the team at the moment. Not an out and out forward not really a winger and not really a midfielder.

I thought Baxters contributions was less and less as the game went on (from open play) he started the game running the show but then seemed to fade as we hoofed it more and more - understandable- with aroud 15 mins to go we started getting the ball down again and we deserved to go in front and Baxters second was class.

Smith won a few flick ons and had once header claimed by the keeper

we were having a lot of success from set pieces today so it was useful to be able to bring on someone like him who might nod one in .

Good result - Orient came for a point and got what they deserved - nothing.

Briefly

We dropped to a less exciting more direct approach..probably due to how our opponents played in fairness....The right idea was to try and play football, which we did on the odd occasion and did play some neat stuff. Simpson was a passanger for the vast majority of the game, partly down to the style of game, but i have no idea how he fits in the team.

The correct decision based on how the game had gone was to bring smith on who performed admirably and made a big difference. He gave us that target to hit where Baxter and Derbyshire prefer balls to feet.

Baxters goal - absolute class. This guy stands out like a sore thumb in this league - as discussed by a few posts on here, enjoy it whilst we can, because unless we risk the clubs long term future, we won't be seeing him for long.

Average game....but these are the ones we usually lose....so good result

Up the tics :)

Thought we played well in the 1st half but as usual we were 2nd best in the 2nd half. We put Smith on and played it long up to him. Smith gave us a different option and it proved decisive.

The good thing is the team plugged away and got the rewards, I thought Montano struggled today, but I notice his thigh was heavily strapped and maybe he shouldn't have been risked.

Not sure where Simpson fits in now and I think Furman will return against Carlisle.

Bouzanis was my MOM, quick and commanding, Cisak may have to wait a long time to get back.

Edited by BP1960

Yet again ,a great team performance , not a weak link on the pitch.

It also shows the type of consistency needed , this is the type of game we have so often tripped up in.

Good to see Mvoto back to his best today ....mind he could have a hat-trick of headers with their awful zonal marking.

Wabara & Croft were rampant again second half & Wes was superb in midfield.

Derbyshire is a joy to see as a proper number 9 & Baxter delivered yet another gem of a goal.

But as I say , all played superbly.

Was it only 2 weeks & 10 points ago that there was a poll on the manager .......

Yet again ,a great team performance , not a weak link on the pitch.

It also shows the type of consistency needed , this is the type of game we have so often tripped up in.

Good to see Mvoto back to his best today ....mind he could have a hat-trick of headers with their awful zonal marking.

Wabara & Croft were rampant again second half & Wes was superb in midfield.

Derbyshire is a joy to see as a proper number 9 & Baxter delivered yet another gem of a goal.

But as I say , all played superbly.

Was it only 2 weeks & 10 points ago that there was a poll on the manager .......

Can we please put the manager issue to bed, once and for all... Dickov will get us promotion if funds allow. Doubters get off his back and enjoy the Dickov era!

Crowd about 400 up from fixture on almost the same date (22nd October) last year against a side from a similarish area of the country (Wycombe). We had a similar number of points (17 from 13 going into the game) and had similarly just come off an impressive win in the previous home game (2-1 v MK Dons).

Does it mean anything? Are fans slowly returning?

Edit: Just remembered kids ST deal, may negate the above!

Edited by jsslatic

Can we please put the manager issue to bed, once and for all... Dickov will get us promotion if funds allow. Doubters get off his back and enjoy the Dickov era!

I can't say I enjoyed Walsall or Stevenage earlier in the season.

Effectively we are 12th and in the top half of the elague as Portsmouth will face a minimum 10 point deduction when they come out of administration. Win our game in hand and we woiuld be 9th and just 3 points from the play offs.

What a difference 3 weeks make

Are we good enough? Yes we are! We showed in pre -season that we were but for some reason the manager put the shackles on when the season started and only let them off when he was under pressure. Why?

3 weeks ago we would have lost that game today. In fact we did against Coventry. We had the better chances that day, didn't take them and paid the price. Today we were the better team and again failed to take our chances. Big Jean should have had a hat trick. The difference is we now have players who give us a cutting edge and PD's changes again made a difference as players came off the bench to change the game.

Time to keep those shackles off now PD, the qulaity is there let them show it.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20121020-orientreport-435899.aspx

Latics kept their third clean sheet in the last four matches after another terrific showing from the lads at the back.

Crewe 0-2 Oldham

Oldham 3-1 Preston

Sheff Utd 1-1 Oldham

Oldham 2-0 L Orient

OS doing a stellar job, as always.

Good performance today in keeping going. Not the best flowing football in this mini revival but again at times some great stuff. Orient came to spoil the game today which is testiment to how well other teams see us playing.

Long may this continue, it will only help us keep the players here we want to stay.