What must we do to create more chances?

Guest Scratch2000uk

How can a central midfield play so negatively for so long? it's basic stuff, to get it to the forwards, even when they get space and room they fooking side foot it to Croft or back pass it, no wonder he's our best player week in week out. If Dickov's happy with that, he might as well just GO.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can a central midfield play so negatively for so long? it's basic stuff, to get it to the forwards, even when they get space and room they fooking side foot it to Croft or back pass it, no wonder he's our best player week in week out. If Dickov's happy with that, he might as well just GO.

Negative manager, negative coach, negative team, it's no wonder fans are also negative.

Exactly as I feared.

It's like we're going stale.

One tactic - long ball to Grounds, until the Smith panic button.

Awful goal.

Donny were so poor it was untrue. But we didn't even have a go.

There doesn't seem to be any cohesion.

When we did pass it, we're either pressed back to the keeper or pushed out wide and an average cross is headed clear.

We've got one of the league's best strike partnerships, but they barely get the ball.

Even Derbyshire was making mistakes tonight - his heart doesn't look in it. He looks fed up. I can sympathise.

Baxter too made errors.

So many just 6/10, enough to avoid being blamed, but no spark to grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

Critics of Furman looked silly tonight. I'd gladly watched him pass to another Latics player - sideways or backwards a rather than Groundhog Day long balls to Grounds.

There's no spark. Nothing to suggest tactics or formations are working.

Thoroughly disillusioned

Exactly as I feared.

Awful goal.

When we did pass it, we're either pressed back to the keeper or pushed out wide and an average cross is headed clear.

We've got one of the league's best strike partnerships, but they barely get the ball.

Even Derbyshire was making mistakes tonight - his heart doesn't look in it. He looks fed up. I can sympathise.

Baxter too made errors.

So many just 6/10, enough to avoid being blamed, but no spark to grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

Critics of Furman looked silly tonight. I'd gladly watched him pass to another Latics player - sideways or backwards a rather than Groundhog Day long balls to Grounds.

Thoroughly disillusioned

Has there been a team that we've played so far this season that ARE any good?

I've seen 12 of the 20 games we've played in the league this season and every single team we've played have been p*ss poor.

People were moaning after the Shrewsbury game, but that's exactly how we should be playing every game, I'm afraid. Nullify the oppositions threat and take our chance when it comes. Boring, but that's League One football.

There's no doubt Dickov has his faults, but a new manager isn't suddenly going to bring results from flowing, pretty to watch stuff...

Edited by JoeP

Exactly as I feared.

Awful goal.

Baxter too made errors.

Thoroughly disillusioned

Didn't see the game, obviously, but if Donny are a poor team, then the rest of the league, bar Tranmere, are even poorer.

They are in second place for a reason and that reason is that they have consistently won their games.

The thing is, bad teams don't become good teams overnight and vice-versa.

Latics haven't become a bad team overnight, we have shown what we can do when we play up-tempo and attacking football.

Dickov has to take the responsibility for the way this team is performing, the lack of motivation and :censored: tactics.

Playing Grounds on the wing again tonight was stupid. Sure, maybe Montaño deserves a slap on the wrist for his recent performances, but playing a left-back when we have Mellor or Sutherland who could probably do a better job...well, it just highlights Dickov's frailties.

I've seen 12 of the 20 games we've played in the league this season and every single team we've played have been p*ss poor.

People were moaning after the Shrewsbury game, but that's exactly how we should be playing every game, I'm afraid. Nullify the oppositions threat and take our chance when it comes. Boring, but that's League One football.

There's no doubt Dickov has his faults, but a new manager isn't suddenly going to bring results from flowing, pretty to watch stuff...

What a new manager may bring is tactical awareness and a better knowledge of how to utilize the quality of the players we already have.

Who that man may be, I have no clue, I just believe that Dickov does not have what it takes to be a manager.

Edited by Wardie

Not just this season, not seen many teams in the league whilst PD been manager look good apart from Southampton and P'boro due to the attack they had. No other team has been genuinely better than us.

Disagree your point about the Shrewsbury game. Why should League one football be boring? We have good attacking players, why not use them to their strengths rather than focusing on nullifying the oppositions threat? With Derbyshire, Baxter, Montano and Croft we've got what should be one of the best attacking 4 in the league and we've seen it when given the chance they will rip apart defences. Our full-backs are good attackers who like to overlap (people might argue not Grounds, but he will overlap given the chance - seems as though Dickov restricts this as shown by Wabara constantly overlapping when he joined, now he hardly does it) and provide extra attacking options whilst Wes/Furman are good at sitting in front of the defence whilst the other one joins the attack. Play them to their strengths and we'll beat most teams in this division.

We need to stop trying to nullify the opposition because lets be honest, we don't do that well. But Dickov will continue the way he is because it seems as though he's scared of getting a couple of hammerings even though we would give a few out. Been like that since the Southampton and P'boro hammerings we got at home. Even with the feel good factor at the club last season around October-January, that was due to cup runs of beating mostly league two teams with a few wins in the league.

Since we played Preston scoring 3 and playing possibly our best football of the season we have played 10 league games and scored........

1 2 1 1 1 0 1 2 1 0

We have scored more than 2 goals on only that one occasion all season.

We appear to have the most attack minded players for many years in Derbyshire , Baxter , Croft , Montano , Simpson & Smith ,but the goals for don't show this .

It sounds like we matched them in a non event of a first half , but yet again they appear to have been well on top in the second half.

One common denominator - The Manager and his defensive, sit deep with two banks of four tactics. How many times have we come back to win from behind this season? None. How many times have we gone behind and not recovered? 10 times…. Taken the lead 9 times and won only 6 of them….

Played 23 this season we've lost 11 and won only 6

Edited by oafcprozac

Yeah that's why I'm so concerned. You knew what was coming second half - the sad thing was Donny barely had to lift their game at all to stop us having any chances. All we did first half was keep on level par and not make any big mistakes - still not enough to celebrate to be honest.

Our creativity was just non-existent. The tactics were seemingly non-existent bar lumping it to Grounds. It just looks like we are sitting 'in shape' but with no freedom/confidence to attack. When they do get forward, it's so telegraphed and simple to defend - no-one taking anyone on, no cutting passes, no movement to keep the opposition guessing and create space.

If you playing a slightly deep midfield, it's obvious you HAVE to attack/counter with pace. Or at least plays balls down the channels. Baxter and Derbyshire didn't even have anything to chase. Derbyshire looked like he was rusting through inactivity and started making mistakes. The one chance Baxter got through the middle, from a defensive error, he rushed and scuffed the shot.

Finding it hard to just brush it off as a 'we were always going to lose to a 'good' team, roll on the cup', because there was so little to give hope for our ability to win future games.

We've got to at least have a go on Saturday. Donny will just sit deep and hope to nick a goal, like they pretty much did last night. There's no excuses if we don't throw everything at them. If we lose, I think it will be PD's last game.

PD should have gone when we lost to Bury, it is absolutely imperative that we win on Saturday for financial reasons and we are sat.here hoping rather than knowing the team will put in a decent performance.

If we get battered yet win it with a last minute penalty then will Dickov be safe.....it's ridiculous that his fate could be decided by the result on Saturday.....we aren't suddenly going to put in a Barcelona like performance and stroll into the next round.

We have been :censored: for 2 years.....we should not be relying on Dickov to get us into the third round!!!

Anybody watching the Wigan v City match on Sky at the moment?

Wigan are showing how you play. Get your CM's pressing up field, give it to your wide men and let them cause trouble.

Then when they get it into the strikers they run off one another, shield the ball well and wait for reinforcements.

We could learn from them.

Anybody watching the Wigan v City match on Sky at the moment?

Wigan are showing how you play. Get your CM's pressing up field, give it to your wide men and let them cause trouble.

Then when they get it into the strikers they run off one another, shield the ball well and wait for reinforcements.

We could learn from them.

But not from the goalkeeper.