Can we beat Liverpool and progress?

91 members have voted

1. 1. What do you THINK will the result?

• Oldham WIN
    • Liverpool WIN
    • Draw to take it back to anfield
  2. 2. What do you HOPE the result will be?

• Oldham WIN
    • Liverpool WIN
    • Draw to take it back to anfield

The chances are that we will lose BUT history dictates that we do have a chance, otherwise we wouldn't be on TV. Look out how they have done in the Europa League? They haven't been convincing and They may end up resting a few players. The Everton we beat in 08 was stronger.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its possible Gerrard may play as he did last season, they may remember he was very influential....thank goodness no Craig Bellamy this time though.

The one I fear is Sturridge with his pace. Shelvey is another I am concerned about with his surging runs from midfield.

Sturridge has it in him to be a bit of a donkey.

The chances are that we will lose BUT history dictates that we do have a chance, otherwise we wouldn't be on TV. Look out how they have done in the Europa League? They haven't been convincing and They may end up resting a few players. The Everton we beat in 08 was stronger.

look at where some of the players in that starting eleven have ended up... Lomax at barrow mcdonald morecombe

Who voted that they want Liverpool to win??

Me

Not to mock the originator of the poll its well worth having the first question to gauge overall opinion, but come on, who really on wants anything other than an Oldham win? Alright going to Anfield will result in another pay day and another likely defeat but the prize money publicity, good feeling and another potentially very big pay day (which is far more likely the further you go in the competition) that a victory would give us here far outweighs just taking them back to their place.

look at where some of the players in that starting eleven have ended up... Lomax at barrow mcdonald morecombe

Pretty sure Lomax is now at Hyde along with Scott Spencer & Adam Griffin?

If Liverpool field the same side as they have been for the Europa; then it levels it out a tad more; but even still - that side should have more than enough to see us of comfortably. Logic says we'll lose easily. But Latics dont do logic do we? It'll be about right if we go and beat them

Scruffy 1-0 win for us..

gut feeling.

If we win 1-0 it can be a :censored: as you like to me it will be classed as a thing of beauty, i hope the goal comes from the biggest scramble of all time and hopefully in to his own net via the hand of that cheating prick who plays upfront for them

One thing if it is 1-0 to them and he does this last kick of the game v us I will not be responsible for my actions

Apprently still gets death threats from Ghana now!

Common sense tells me its nothing other than a Liverpool win

However common sense says that we should have been beaten by Nottingham Forrest and thats why I didn't go.

Common sense says we should have beaten Chesterfiled and won the JPT last season.

Common sense says Everton should have beaten us in 2008.

Common sense says Man City should have beaten us in 2005

Common sense says that we should by now have a nice modern stadium after years of "ambitious plans"

Common sense says that we should have gone bust in 2003

Common sense says we should have gone down in 92-92

Common sense says that Andy Ritchie should not have destroyed the Arsenals legendary back 4 in 1989

and Common sense says that at 2-0 down 5 minutes into the 2nd half we shouldn't have beaten Sheffield Wednesday in 1991 to win the league title.

Oldham Athletic doesn't do common sense

I love this club

As I read this a huge St George's cross with 'OAFC' emblazoned on it unfurled behind me, billowing in the wind as Fanfare for the Common Man provided the soundtrack to my tears.

If we win 1-0 it can be a :censored: as you like to me it will be classed as a thing of beauty, i hope the goal comes from the biggest scramble of all time and hopefully in to his own net via the hand of that cheating prick who plays upfront for them

One thing if it is 1-0 to them and he does this last kick of the game v us I will not be responsible for my actions

One of the most unsportingly conduct I have witnessed shortly followed! The lad is a :censored: end of.

Pretty sure Lomax is now at Hyde along with Scott Spencer & Adam Griffin?

If Liverpool field the same side as they have been for the Europa; then it levels it out a tad more; but even still - that side should have more than enough to see us of comfortably. Logic says we'll lose easily. But Latics dont do logic do we? It'll be about right if we go and beat them

Logic states that there will envitably be a rate of error in any human activity.

Are take one for the team if he does it as he is getting back on the coach after if something like that costs us and smack him

I far from condone violence and I know it was Gyan fault he missed the pen but that is just damn right cheating in that instance football should introduce a rule that he goes and the goal is given

I'm not a massive fan, but if anyone ever just said :censored: it I'm taking one for the team, it's Suarez just there in that clip.

Its not 'taking one for the team' that I took issue with; it was the celebration that followed in the tunnel, a smug grin and a shrug of the shoulders- I doubt that my first impression opinion would be the sane as it is now. I have one forparticular fb friend who jumps to his defence at the first given opportunity- funny how he went all covert on me when Suarez was served his punishment. He's a pleasure to watch when he turns up and plays rather than testing the ref with his theatrical dives, he doesn't need to do that: he has more than enough ability to go past any defence. Hate the game of today at times.

Common sense tells me its nothing other than a Liverpool win

However common sense says that we should have been beaten by Nottingham Forrest and thats why I didn't go.

Common sense says we should have beaten Chesterfiled and won the JPT last season.

Common sense says Everton should have beaten us in 2008.

Common sense says Man City should have beaten us in 2005

Common sense says that we should by now have a nice modern stadium after years of "ambitious plans"

Common sense says that we should have gone bust in 2003

Common sense says we should have gone down in 92-92

Common sense says that Andy Ritchie should not have destroyed the Arsenals legendary back 4 in 1989

and Common sense says that at 2-0 down 5 minutes into the 2nd half we shouldn't have beaten Sheffield Wednesday in 1991 to win the league title.

Oldham Athletic doesn't do common sense

I love this club

"On paper, Oldham shouldn't even bother turning up." Graeme Sharp, January 2008.

Think Liverpool'll win, but with the fixtures they've got coming up (Utd away, Norwich - who didn't make it easy for Chelsea or City - at home, Arsenal away 3 days after they play us, then City away) and the fact Brendan Rodgers' bosses sacked a manager who took the FA Cup seriously and got them to the final last season....this might be the best chance we'll have of beating them.

If we are 1-0 up in the last minute and an Oldham player has the opportunity to do that and doesn't I won't be held responsible for my actions.

You do that exact thing given the chance from a lot earlier than the 90th minute if you are level or 1 goal up. Feck the media backlash, feck the spirit of the game (whatever is left of it), the game is about winning; doing that gave Uruguay a much greater chance of winning (essentially the % of pen kicks missed). The celebration afterwards was a bit meh but essentially he had won them the game, it's not that much different to the way teams celebrate the opposition missing the crucial spot-kick.

Edited by rudemedic

Its not 'taking one for the team' that I took issue with; it was the celebration that followed in the tunnel, a smug grin and a shrug of the shoulders- I doubt that my first impression opinion would be the sane as it is now. I have one forparticular fb friend who jumps to his defence at the first given opportunity- funny how he went all covert on me when Suarez was served his punishment. He's a pleasure to watch when he turns up and plays rather than testing the ref with his theatrical dives, he doesn't need to do that: he has more than enough ability to go past any defence. Hate the game of today at times.

If that was Jose Baxter in the play-off semis, he'd be a People's Republic of Oldham hero forever.

I doubt Jose would then go about destroying his reputation by being a racist and a filthy diving cheat though.

If that was Jose Baxter in the play-off semis, he'd be a People's Republic of Oldham hero forever.

I doubt Jose would then go about destroying his reputation by being a racist and a filthy diving cheat though.

WOW WOW WOW... he isn't a racist! He just racially abused somebody. But he's not a racist. No sir.