Would've, Could've, Should've

After most home games I come home just wondering that.

Smith up front on his own and nobody getting onto the end of his flick-ons.

No clinical finisher.

Opposition players getting lots of space in our box and scoring 1-on-1's.

Why we get overrun in midfield very often.

Why teams come to Boundary Park, seem to expend very little energy and come away with an easy win - That's probably the main one.

It's just so timid and I don't even think that it's a lack of effort. Winchester put a lot in today, so did Smith and Simpson. I think it's more of a mentality that our players have.

There's no confidence in tactics or their own ability or their team-mates. We lack all ruthlessness.

See, today we would've won that match in the first half if we could've put those chances away or made those through balls that should've found the man alone in the box. But we didn't and that's the main problem. Dickov can say Would've, Could've, Should've in his post-match interview but the fact is we didn't.

We need a leader, a proper character who isn't scared to put his foot in and shouts at the players when it's not enough. Like their Number 8 today. That's what we're missing. We have too many passengers.

After most home games I come home just wondering that.

Smith up front on his own and nobody getting onto the end of his flick-ons.

No clinical finisher.

Opposition players getting lots of space in our box and scoring 1-on-1's.

Why we get overrun in midfield very often.

Why teams come to Boundary Park, seem to expend very little energy and come away with an easy win - That's probably the main one.

It's just so timid and I don't even think that it's a lack of effort. Winchester put a lot in today, so did Smith and Simpson. I think it's more of a mentality that our players have.

There's no confidence in tactics or their own ability or their team-mates. We lack all ruthlessness.

See, today we would've won that match in the first half if we could've put those chances away or made those through balls that should've found the man alone in the box. But we didn't and that's the main problem. Dickov can say Would've, Could've, Should've in his post-match interview but the fact is we didn't.

We need a leader, a proper character who isn't scared to put his foot in and shouts at the players when it's not enough. Like their Number 8 today. That's what we're missing. We have too many passengers.

Too nice. That's what we are...

As i said in another thread when Byrne went so did any sort of shape, big Jean must have thought who's going to tell me what to do now. Byrne is our best centre half, most consistent. Thought Grounds was excellent today. he gets better every game. Found a gem IMO

PD was trying to get a point (or more) against a team who were 1-0 up and playing 4-1-4-1 with the front man very isolated. We didn't need 2 centre-halfs marking the one forward, if the ref had done his job Donaldson wouldn't have scored as he should have given a FK to us for the foul on Youseff. Hindsight is always 20/20 and IMHO PD was right to take one of the defenders off.

Whether PD should have taken Mvoto off instead of Byrne is another matter but we'd have lost Mvoto's pace and his threat from corners.

Edited by rudemedic

PD was trying to win the game against a team playing 4-1-4-1 with the front man very isolated. We didn't need 2 centre-halfs marking the one forward, if the ref had done his job Donaldson wouldn't have scored as he should have given a FK to us for the foul on Youseff.

Whether PD should have taken Mvoto off instead of Byrne is another matter but we'd have lost Mvoto's pace and his threat from corners.

Are they the front post corners which were so effective today. Agreed it was a foul on Changy but the ref wasn't up to much today as usual (that aint sour grapes just a generalisation of the refs in this division). Just think going 3 at the back aint the best way with this set of players. Big Joe could get away with it with the pace of Warhurst, Barrett and Irwin.

Are they the front post corners which were so effective today. Agreed it was a foul on Changy but the ref wasn't up to much today as usual (that aint sour grapes just a generalisation of the refs in this division). Just think going 3 at the back aint the best way with this set of players. Big Joe could get away with it with the pace of Warhurst, Barrett and Irwin.

Remember when Big Joe switched it to 3 at the back against West Ham and we scored 6.

Strange feeling over the last few home games.

All defeats, but still feel strangly more positive than at other times of similar results.

Think its because we are trying to play good football, and are having good posession for long periods.

We lack pace to worry teams and make them drop deep, therefore giving us the space to turn possession into chances / goals. But feel that the approach of the team is good, but we don't have the players to make this successful at the moment. Our attacking threat is not great - Smith trys hard and gets his head on the end of a lot, but we having had a striker play alongside him as a partner to learn how to make the most of this. He needs to stop throwing himself to the floor and pleading so much.

JB signing is great news though

He is not there to pick passes.

We fell apart when he went off, are you blind ???

No,I am not blind.You have seen the same game of football that I have.He did not play well today so you would be foolish to try to try and convince otherwise.As for falling apart,we were chasing the game.Sometimes it works,sometimes it doesn't.Today it didn't.

Please remind me when this rather desperate tactic has worked ?

And with 15 mins to play ?

And whilst Byrne wasn't setting the world alight today, he was marshalling, and talking to others around him, to take him off was suicidal, as was leaving ourselves so exposed by having 3 at the back with tiring midfielders offering no protection.

They walked through us at will for the last part of the game .

Massive percentage of the goals we concede come from simple diagonal balls targeting our full backs, clear tactic from the opposition yet remains a mystery to our management.

And where would Grounds be to blame in the first goal. Cross from the left wing (wabara), Mvoto to pick up the centre forward.

Please remind me when this rather desperate tactic has worked ?

And with 15 mins to play ?

And whilst Byrne wasn't setting the world alight today, he was marshalling, and talking to others around him, to take him off was suicidal, as was leaving ourselves so exposed by having 3 at the back with tiring midfielders offering no protection.

They walked through us at will for the last part of the game .

This rather desperate tactic is something you will see every week in every division of football. What would you have done differently?

Doesn't matter what I would do, I have nt spent most of my life in professional football.

But seen as you ask . .

Taylor straight swap for smith , croft off he was shattered , brown on. That would have been on the hour Mark , give it 10, then mellor for Winchester who gave a lot and made some good runs to give Jose someone to look for, thus was knackered too, mellor left, Jose n changy in middle, Simmo off taylor , leaving FOUR at the back, 2 fresh wide men, our best player in the centre getting in the ball, Simmo in his ( apparently ) best position, and a forward who can actually run the channels , which hard as smithy tries, he can't do.

So that's what I'd have done but I'm sure many will disagree , obv PD ain't got the best options but you have to utilise what you've got rather than the same failed tactics time and time again.

We appear to suffer fro a total lack of belief, a fear of the opposition.

The victory over Forest was a blip in the same way the victory at Sheff U was last season , a total one off.

The players should have been bouncing with confidence and feel good after Forest , but no sign whatsoever today.

Utterly dejecting ,our league form is a disgrace.

Doesn't matter what I would do, I have nt spent most of my life in professional football.

But seen as you ask . .

Taylor straight swap for smith , croft off he was shattered , brown on. That would have been on the hour Mark , give it 10, then mellor for Winchester who gave a lot and made some good runs to give Jose someone to look for, thus was knackered too, mellor left, Jose n changy in middle, Simmo off taylor , leaving FOUR at the back, 2 fresh wide men, our best player in the centre getting in the ball, Simmo in his ( apparently ) best position, and a forward who can actually run the channels , which hard as smithy tries, he can't do.

So that's what I'd have done but I'm sure many will disagree , obv PD ain't got the best options but you have to utilise what you've got rather than the same failed tactics time and time again.

A very well thought out post,however you need to stick to delivering papers.