Greatest cup victories. How does today compare?

Being of an age where I can remember the pinch me years but did not attend all those great days and nights I have had some great moments in cup games at Boundary Park

Going to Wembley in 1990 will always be a special memory and for those who witnessed the 3-1 against Arsenal or the 6-0 vs West Ham will no doubt take pride of place.

But in terms of F.A. Cup wins this would be better than the win against Man City in 2005 as the Liverpool team today was stronger than the city team of then. In 1990 2 wins against Everton where Marshall won it for us at the 3rd attempt and the 3-0 vs Aston Villa where Rick Holden tore apart the top team in England at the time. But that was a great Oldham team that could rightly go toe to toe with most of the big boys.

When you consider the gap in talent I would say this is the best cup victory at Boundary Park that I can remember.

Thoughts

I was born in 1988 so all I've known is two relegations.

Best games for me in recent years:

Today

Sheffield United last season

Huddersfield away a few years ago when we stuffed them

West Ham away in the league cup

City in the third round

Everton

Forest this season

There's probably a few more but can't think straight at the moment!

I honestly think today's victory tops them all.

I went to all the cup games back in the day.

We had some of the best players in the country.

But today we are 19th in Division 3 , and hopelessly out of form.

The players form today was so far ahead of what they have done before.

Awesome.

Only went to 9 games in 89/90 but did see the 2-2 with Everton, the 3-3 at Maine Road and the Final

2002 Derby was a good night

2002 West Ham was a cracking night against a team that included James, Cole, Defoe etc...

2005 City was a great day, but having seen us win at Maine Road time and again whilst it's up there...

2008 Everton fantastic, against all the odds, injuries and suspensions and Kelvin :censored:ing Lomax and JP I :censored: you not Kalala...

But yesterday was my Arsenal moment, yes Liverpool are not what they were but they are 5 times European Champions and we throughly deserved it. At Everton and v City we rode our luck at times! Yesterday we mostly never looked in real trouble, I can only remember the Borini brain fart and Gerrard hitting the bar, did Deano make a save?

As good as yesterday was, for me a more mature fan it has to be Arsenal in 1989. They had a full strength team, were defending League Champions and we made them look mediocre.

Keeper Andy Rhodes beat himself up and kicked the goalpost in disgust after conceding a very late consolation goal to deny the cleansheet at 3-0. Such was the confidence in the squad that they were better than the big clubs.

Tbf Terry, that was the first time we'd really done it against the big boys under Joe. We'd come close against Everton at Goodison in 1987, taking the lead before losing to a late Neil Adams goal. Later that season we'd given Spurs a good game but Waddle and Ardiles destroyed us at times in the 4-2 defeat. The following season we deservedly drew at Goodison before absolutely hammering Everton but not taking our chances cost us when British Football most expensive striker bagged a late, opportunistic brace.

The game against Arsenal was when we finally got what we deserved, I wasn't there but have the full match on VHS and we were magnificent, that game was the catalyst for the club to rise, I really hope now the only way is up for us…. perhaps we've gone as low as we will for a while now. We should now be looking up, back the manager with a couple of quality additions but give the lads like Winchester a decent run now, give Connor Brown a go at RB and let's get out there and start picking points up!

Yesterday was the best by a mile. Okay, so we beat everton at goodison. yeah, so what we scrapped it 1-0 (with an admittedly great goal). but when i looked around did i see a full stadium bouncing round? did i see a team who had not won in eight beating a team worth over £100 million (and thats without the unvalued gerrard).

the fact it was at home, in a full boundary park, against liverpool, for me one of the top 4 clubs in english football wipes the floor with anything else ive ever seen. you can compare it to city if you like but again city at the time wernt as good as liverpool were yesterday.

as for those saying games like arsenal and west ham, we were in amongst the best days this club has ever seen. we had an awsome team ourselves, so realistically the victory was far more likely than a victory yesterday

if you are to top that, it will have to be with something very, very memorable.

I'd say there was an element of 'we can do this' against Arsenal. The squad had players in it that were clearly building towards something half decent. Yesterday came out of nowhere with a crowd backing based on nothing other than blind faith.

I told my lad (6) after it that he'll be watching re-runs of that on YouTube when he's in his 30s (when he should be doing something else instead). I probably undersold it to him - he'll be watching that when I'm dead & buried and recall the looks of disbelief that we shared at the final whistle.

I told my lad (6) after it that he'll be watching re-runs of that on YouTube when he's in his 30s (when he should be doing something else instead). I probably undersold it to him - he'll be watching that when I'm dead & buried and recall the looks of disbelief that we shared at the final whistle.

It turned out to be great value for £20 and even if it's £50 for 25 games after Everton, the kids will be talking for years about how they were there.

It turned out to be great value for £20 and even if it's £50 for 25 games after Everton, the kids will be talking for years about how they were there.

Absolutely. Fans of some other teams in the region need to pay over the odds, board a plane into Europe and pay for over-priced hotels in order to share their teams really big moments in a 'I was there' style. We get to enjoy this stuff by jumping on a local bus.