Latics, The Millionaires

Having started watching in 1969 with no real aspirations of seeing top flight football, to see it happen on a shoestring made it even more remarkable. The club is in my blood, my son feels the same bond with the club. To feel that some multi millionaire could come in and buy success would not sit right with me. If we are going to get back to the top lets do it the hard way, and without the snide money remarks which taint some of the so called big clubs.

Yeah, League One or below is certainly de rigeur.

We should always strive to become the best team in the country. That's the very essence of professional football/sport. I'm stunned that there are people who are content with the club simply existing.

That's ridiculous though, and completely unrealistic. Striving to be the best might be the essence of professional football for professional footballers, but it isn't for the supporters.

Edited by JonesyOAFC

I only started going regularly about 10 yrs ago, missed out really on the pinch me years as lubed abroad or in London playing on a Sat. Memories of games in the 70s, winning the old Div 3, the excitement of a cup game v then top flight Burnley (lost btw), Hearts at BP on a Tuesday night, going to Alan Groves birthday party, playing Scrabble at big Jim Bowies, amazed at the time that we had a flair player in Simon Stainrod, and other small things to numerous to mention. Haven't lived in the area for 30 years but love every moment of match day. My lad had a season ticket got 6 yrs until this season when he's opted to work weekends. He's born and bred in Leeds but is a true Tic and knows it! I love the bones of the club, the friendliness if the staff and mostly as I'm ion my tod at games, the camaraderie of the fans and the feeling that it really does matter. Especially to a sad 52 yr old heading back to Leeds on a train post match these days!!

Although being away at uni played some part, I actually stopped going when we were in the Premier League and didn't return for some time. Great times building up to it but it suddenly felt like the club had changed from the one that I'd grown up with (and had been a season ticket holder for a few years). Maybe the all seater ruling didn't help things but it felt like the camaraderie between supporters and the close ties with those working at the club had been diluted. In someways I thought that the club (having reached the promised land) had begun to act like a bigger club at the expense of what had made them such a great part of the community before the success. I'd love to see all kinds of success but not at the expense of 'my club'. Clearly the two things aren't mutually exclusive as long as things are managed in the right way and focus is maintained on the role that the club should be playing in Oldham.

That's ridiculous though, and completely unrealistic. Striving to be the best might be the essence of professional football for professional footballers, but it isn't for the supporters.

I think we're diametrically opposed on this issue. :lol:

I only started going regularly about 10 yrs ago, missed out really on the pinch me years as lubed abroad or in London playing on a Sat. Memories of games in the 70s, winning the old Div 3, the excitement of a cup game v then top flight Burnley (lost btw), Hearts at BP on a Tuesday night, going to Alan Groves birthday party, playing Scrabble at big Jim Bowies, amazed at the time that we had a flair player in Simon Stainrod, and other small things to numerous to mention. Haven't lived in the area for 30 years but love every moment of match day. My lad had a season ticket got 6 yrs until this season when he's opted to work weekends. He's born and bred in Leeds but is a true Tic and knows it! I love the bones of the club, the friendliness if the staff and mostly as I'm ion my tod at games, the camaraderie of the fans and the feeling that it really does matter. Especially to a sad 52 yr old heading back to Leeds on a train post match these days!!

Great post!

Memories are made of this and can't agree with you enough about Stainrod, It was like we'd signed Pele and what a player he was! Also loved seeing Carl Valentine running at defenders and ofcourse Vic Halom banging em in whilst Alan Young usually hit the woodwork.

Then came Jim Steel, The Futchers from City but we never signed a player I really wanted us to at the time and that was Dave Bennett and he ended up at Coventry if memory serves me correctly.

The Anglo Scottish cup and holding that all conquering Forest side to a 0-0 draw in the League cup, Beating Blackpool 2-1 and Burnley 2-0 in the same week, Getting totally destroyed by Blackburn 0-3 on possible the coldest day in all my 50 years.

I hope more history can be made for future generations on the proud foundations of the past glories.

In amongst all this speculation we seem to have missed one cast iron FACT.

Even with new billionaire owners doing everything right, there would be still be a sizeable proportion of Oldham fans doing nothing but moan.

Expectation would rise exponentially. Suddenly, the minimum acceptable performance would be to win successive leagues outright, then to win the Premiership in the first year, and after that the Champions League. Anything less (in fact even if that impossible feat was achieved) and there'd be just as many threads on here as there are now complaining about the board, the chairman, the manager and the players.

Edited by garcon