Can anybody tell me who was the last player to have a testimonial for us ? i vaguely remember there being 1 when i was a child, standing in the chaddy ? im picturing it being against some team in red ? Also do you think we will ever see anybody stay around long enough for us to get one in the current merry-go-round of players in and out ? I very much doubt il be seeing a thirty something Jose stepping out for his .

Can anybody tell me who was the last player to have a testimonial for us ? i vaguely remember there being 1 when i was a child, standing in the chaddy ? im picturing it being against some team in red ? Also do you think we will ever see anybody stay around long enough for us to get one in the current merry-go-round of players in and out ? I very much doubt il be seeing a thirty something Jose stepping out for his .

Didn't Eyresy get one?

Roger Palmer wasn't it vs City?

That could've been the Wayne Harrison game against Liverpool. Not so much a testimonial as a benefit game...

The last Testimonial actually billed as that was Andy Ritchie's v Blackburn in July 1999 we drew 0-0.

Other games since them have been termed as 'Benefit' games or fundraisers

Richard Graham 2001

Shez 2005

Eyresey 2006

Ernie 2008

Etc

Testimonials I have personally attended

Roger Palmer 1991 v City

Billy Urmson 1993 v Burnley

Frank Bunn 1994 v Everton

Andy Barlow 1995 v Everton

Benefit Games

Wayne Harrison 1992 v Liverpool

Ian Olney 1996 v Aston Villa

Edited by oafcprozac

as I say last Testimonial was Andy Ritchie's Testimonial, a night match v Blackburn Rovers in July 1999 a 0-0 draw.

Roger Palmer's was a night match, a Monday night 8 years earlier, the Monday after we won the title...

Roger's would have indeed have been the last Testimonial at BP where you could have stood. City wore their burgundy away kit that night.

Edited by oafcprozac

That was the centenary game. Ridiculously we paid United a fortune for the 'honour' of playing them.

Nice one, I knew remembered being there as a 10 / 11 year old anyway.

Edited by pukka

as I say last Testimonial was Andy Ritchie's Testimonial, a night match v Blackburn Rovers in July 1999 a 0-0 draw.

Roger Palmer's was a night match, a Monday night 8 years earlier, the Monday after we won the title...

Roger's would have indeed have been the last Testimonial at BP where you could have stood. City wore their burgundy away kit that night.

thanks mate thats deffo the one im thinking of

Did we not play Man ure in one circa 95 or 96? Lost 2-0?

August 1995, a team of United kids + Lee Sharpe beat us 2-0. I think they charged a couple of quid more than the usual matchday prices. I remember the cover of BTB a few weeks later, with a Lab Flask half filled with liquid and the caption "Yes, this is the amount of piss we took from the Boundary Park Faithful'…..

Roger Palmers match is the first match I can remember going to, 9 years old and I bloody loved it.

Won 3-2 Jobbo, Marshall and Obviously Palmer, Goram played the 2nd half for us and made an outstanding save. Last ever 1st Team game on Plastic Paradise and last ever time the Chaddy End was used as a terrace…..

Not unless Corney awards himself one….

I'd like to think that we might offer one to Philliskirk. He's been on the coaching staff for 15 years now including 2 stints as caretaker manager. Perhaps if he gets to 20 years would be the right time.

Can't imagine he's made big bucks so don't imagine many people would object.

If Billy Urmson deserved one (and he did) then it's only right TP should get one, he's an unassuming Latics Legend, and I mean that in every way. When we met Lee Johnson the other week he popped into the players lounge, we thanked him and gave a brief round of applause, he looked embarrassed, that's the mark of the man….

Those 9 points out of 18 will have played a massive part in keeping us up. TP has more than played his part, his decisions v Everton earned the club a tidy sum too. That on its own was worthy of recognition, in addition the players he has brought through that has earned us a decent wedge. He spotted Trotman at Burnley, Spencer came through, his own son Danny, Eardley, Taylor, Eaves have all come through on his watch. Two of our talismen in our upturn in form Millar and Mellor are his proteges etc… the man's a :censored:ing legend on a par with if not above Billy Urmson….