I've been maintaining on the Chron's website that Matt Smith owes us some loyalty. Without us, he wouldn't be in league football and prior to the FA Cup run his league form was less than impressive. I thank him for the money we earned in the cup games and his vital 3 goals that earned him this player of the month, but I think he owes us another year!

I've been maintaining on the Chron's website that Matt Smith owes us some loyalty. Without us, he wouldn't be in league football and prior to the FA Cup run his league form was less than impressive. I thank him for the money we earned in the cup games and his vital 3 goals that earned him this player of the month, but I think he owes us another year!

Footballs a business, Loyalty doesn't exist.

If he stays he knows a team will be built around him and he will be idolised.

If he goes he knows he will be fighting for a first team place but ideally at a higher level.

He owes us nothing. You even point out yourself about the impact he made in the FA Cup and then followed it up with vital goals at the end of the season to keep us up. Those were our rewards for any initial investment and coaching time in him which isn't too bad at all.

Absolute Piffle

Rumour is he is on less than 600 quid a week here and can get 2.5k in the championship. That will dramatically change his life. It isn't someone on 90k a week moving. You'd go for the money if you were him. If you say you wouldn't you are deluding yourself. Plus, how much did he earn us in FA cup winnings, and his goals which were a catalyst to staying up? Repaid us back - and then some. He owes us nowt.

I hope he stays, but best of Luck Matt.

Edited by pukka

We should give him a rise and a release clause. Without us, he wouldn't have been in the position he is now. He's 23 and can prove himself not to be a flash in the pan by playing and scoring regularly next season. If he wants to warm the bench in the championship, good luck to him, but a little bit of loyalty might go a long way in the future. Short term greed has the potential to back fire. Other than the 3 FA Cup games, Bury, Yeovil & Crawley, he'd been relatively ineffective. He's got a long way to go yet, I think he'd be better served spending more time with us.

I think he'd be better served spending more time with us.

I think as a footballer he may be in the long term, butIf someone offers you 4 times your wage (when your wage isn't that great) AND higher division football - what would you do. Be honest.

We should give him a rise and a release clause. Without us, he wouldn't have been in the position he is now. He's 23 and can prove himself not to be a flash in the pan by playing and scoring regularly next season. If he wants to warm the bench in the championship, good luck to him, but a little bit of loyalty might go a long way in the future. Short term greed has the potential to back fire. Other than the 3 FA Cup games, Bury, Yeovil & Crawley, he'd been relatively ineffective. He's got a long way to go yet, I think he'd be better served spending more time with us.

I agree with Pukka.

Despite being relatively ineffective in a number of games, and having a long way to go - we too wouldn't be in the position we're in without him. He has more than repaid us for the gamble we took on him.

So if you think he's been ineffective in all but 6 games, why would you even want him to stay?

Given the wage he'll be on, you can hardly call him greedy - it's his best opportunity to sign a contract with decent rewards. Much as I'd like him to stay, he could knock in 20+ for us next season and his stock still wouldn't be as high as it is now.

We should give him a rise and a release clause. Without us, he wouldn't have been in the position he is now. He's 23 and can prove himself not to be a flash in the pan by playing and scoring regularly next season. If he wants to warm the bench in the championship, good luck to him, but a little bit of loyalty might go a long way in the future. Short term greed has the potential to back fire. Other than the 3 FA Cup games, Bury, Yeovil & Crawley, he'd been relatively ineffective. He's got a long way to go yet, I think he'd be better served spending more time with us

He owes us nothing he signed a 2 year contract he's seen that through. He doesn't owe us a new contract someonelse could have taken him on plus without some key goals in the FA cup and the league we would be down and we would not be showing any loyalty to him by offering a new deal if that was the case. We can't show sentiment when offering players contracts, hell if that was the case we would still have Andy Ritchie on the payroll.

Its not a case of loyalty its a case of what we can offer him and what he would stand to gain from being here He would continue to develop he would likely be given a starting spot on a regular basis arguably what he needs most at this stage of his career. At a championship club he would have to fight for his place against several strikers who may be more experienced and of better pedigree so it may mean sometime warming the bench and reserve team football.

Its upto him but in his shoes I'd be off to the championship and try and take my chances at a higher level he might not get another opportunity.

I disagree with the supposition that his stock wouldn't rise if he knocked in 20 goals. I think it would, hence my view he would be better served remaining with us for another year.

I guess it depends what he's in football for. He's an educated boy who's earning potential could well be greater post his football career. If true he could achieve £2.5k per week to warm a bench, and lets say we could only afford him £1k to prove his 6 games were not a flash in the pan, he could get his £2.5k+ the following year and not be warming a bench.

As I say, these 6 games apart, he's still a lot to prove. I'd like him to stay to build on that and show some loyalty for the opportunity he was given.

If he goes because he doesn't want to risk £2.5k not being on the table again, maybe that shows a sign that he isn't confident he can repeat his form of those 6 games?

I think he should be thankful of what OAFC have done for him and I would like him to stay ‘loyal’ but he does not owe us anything. He was contracted for a given period of time and served us well, if another club come in and offer him 2x 4x 10x what we can offer and he thinks it will be a good move footballing wise, he would be a fool to turn it down. Let’s remember as much as we gave him the opportunity, he had to take it!!! Now he has another opportunity…

Absolute Piffle

Rumour is he is on less than 600 quid a week here and can get 2.5k in the championship. That will dramatically change his life. It isn't someone on 90k a week moving. You'd go for the money if you were him. If you say you wouldn't you are deluding yourself. Plus, how much did he earn us in FA cup winnings, and his goals which were a catalyst to staying up? Repaid us back - and then some. He owes us nowt.

I hope he stays, but best of Luck Matt.

Or to put it another way, a £100 k per year pay increase!!!

Sure, or £78k, between £1k and £2.5k, but what use is that for 2 years if you're on the bench. Show some loyalty, score 20 goals and get £4k the year after and play every week? It's a gamble either way I guess, and whatever he chooses good luck to him, but a la Baxter, I'd like to see some loyalty.

I don't get why he owes us "loyalty" above and beyond what he's already done. We saw potential and offered him a deal. He played, scored a few goals, and that's his end of the bargain. We weren't offering him a contract out of the goodness of our hearts or charity.

Well, yes, but maybe what he wants to do is prove it at a higher level and not have to wait another year to do it.

How well he would do at BP also depends also on the service he gets and staying clear of injury, neither of which are within his control.

(I'll shut up now. Said my bit.)

Edited by Crusoe

Loyalty my arse.

Like I say, this would draamatically change his life. I'd like some fans to show some loyalty to players.

Not get on their back for feck all*.

Then when they do what they are paid for score some goals, improve, help us earn money, see the contract we offered him, they ask for some loyalty

*Not saying lookerstandandy does that - It's just something that gets my goat

its funny how fans demand loyalty from some players and not others. I am not fussed either way what happens. Players can do what they want and they will, we have very little say in our financial situation. If Smith wants to be here then he should sign soon, if not lets forget about him and look somewhere else.

I ask for players to see their contract out. If they are unhppy at staying for 2/3 years then DONT SIGN IT. If we want them for longer, GIVE THEM A LONGER CONTRACT or at least start sorting out the contract sooner.