The Lee Johnson Honeymoon Period

The last manager got the goodwill of most Latics fans for much longer than was perhaps deserved.

The initial groundswell of goodwill to Lee Johnson, an unknown, has been earned by a mixture of talking the talk and walking the walk. It's won fans over and rightly so. He made the changes that got us out of a hole.

That's not to say that he's the Messiah. There were some performances under Johnson that simply replicated what led to Dickov's demise. Hardly surprising as the personnel were much the same. But, in the name of goodwill, I'll see this as giving a new manager a chance to identify weaknesses and address them.

But the measure of Johnson will be what he achieves with the team that he puts together. I have no idea about the new signings and their ability. A few YouTube glimpses will never convince me one way or the other. I do know that as June ends and professional footballers stop getting paid Latics will make new signings. The same applies to coaching staff too.

A bunch of average footballers with a mix of youthful ambition and steady experience can't really be expected to achieve much more than a solid mid-table position. But, as a true football fan, I have to have hope. Without it there is little point. And I've always believed that a bunch of average footballers can be made in to an above average team.

So for now Lee Johnson is my hope. Not only will he be my great hope but I will also have faith in him. I'll give him a chance to fix things when it goes wrong, whichever method he chooses to use. I'll accept it when he bins off players I see as being decent. I'll accept it when he brings in youths, unheard of foreigners and players from the dodgy league to the north.

But there will be a judgement day. Hope tells me it might be a positive moment when we all realise we have a gem. Reality suggests it's more likely to be another disappointing run of results where it's clear that the squad he put together and motivated cant cut it.

For now let the hope over-ride the doubt. Let the dream diminish the nightmare. Let the opportunity for change and improvement take shape.

The truth will eventually reveal itself. Hopefully with an open top bus!

Edited by opinions4u

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But the measure of Johnson will be what he achieves with the team that he puts together. I have no idea about the new signings and their ability. A few YouTube glimpses will never convince me one way or the other. I do know that as June ends and professional footballers stop getting paid Latics will make new signings. The same applies to coaching staff too.

A bunch of average footballers with a mix of youthful ambition and steady experience can't really be expected to achieve much more than a solid mid-table position. But, as a true football fan, I have to have hope. Without it there is little point. And I've always believed that a bunch of average footballers can be made in to an above average team.

This is the key thing for me. I'm not interested currently about the personnel we sign, it's about how LJ moulds them into a good quality unit.

Call me harsh but I'm giving LJ the length of his contract to prove himself: 1 year. I had a lot of faith in Dickov and I genuinely believed that by keeping the best players from 2011/12 and with a few additions we'd have a squad capable of challenging at the top end of the division. Without hindsight I was convinced that continuity of manager and squad was the right way to go about things, they would be able to learn as a unit from previous mistakes. Of course this was nowhere near the case.

The last two managers that we've given nigh on 3 years to have got progressively worse over time instead of better, teams have proven that short term success can be achieved even without a big budget (see Yeovil) and LJ has not far off a clean slate to work with. I've always been a fan of slow and steady winning the race but I now see no reason why a manager can't show us what he's all about in the space of a season, even one as inexperienced as LJ.

Our budget may not be big but I believe that any good manager with a clean slate can build a fairly good team, maybe even a successful one.

I'm hopeful O4u. If I'm honest, feel exactly the same as I did with Dickov. 100% agree he deserves a chance and at the moment you can't criticise him.

On the same note though, there's people talking about how long we'll keep him and it's ridiculous. There's so many comparisons to Dickov's early days it's untrue.

Happy with the signings, seems like he knows what he's doing. Some of the illogical praise he winds me up. You can be confident but we don't know yet..

Two year contract! Success will be gaining another 12 points this season for our highest finish in four years - I hope this is four more wins at home to encourage more people through the turnstile. Success and proof that we have the manager he looks destined to become will be a play off place in May 2015.

I gave Dickov just over 2 years, the penny dropped for me when we had 11 man behind the ball trying to hold onto a 1-0 lead at League Two Chesterfield, a game in the JPT when our fringe players that were crying out for game time yet still didn't get picked in favour of the 'clique'. That coupled with the dreadful start to last season, going into a season for the third consecutive year without his squad assembled and the 'judge me after 10 games bollocks, saw for me his position was on borrowed time...'

LJ will get the duration of his contract, we looked a better team in the league when he took over than we had all season, we were tight at the back (mostly), we pressed on in midfield and created lots of chances - that's all the majority of us want to see. I do think we will struggle again next season, as I think LJ will be trying to do his job with one arm tied behind his back.

He urgently needs 3 or 4 backroom staff in sharpish to lighten the load. However, I do think that at the end of his initial contract we will be in a better place than we are now and i'm sure we'll be scrambling around for it to be extended/renewed. Dickov will be sat in a studio somewhere having long since been sacked by Doncaster......

Edited by oafcprozac

I gave Dickov just over 2 years, the penny dropped for me when we had 11 man behind the ball trying to hold onto a 1-0 lead at League Two Chesterfield, a game in the JPT when our fringe players that were crying out for game time yet still didn't get picked in favour of the 'clique'. That coupled with the dreadful start to last season, going into a season for the third consecutive year without his squad assembled and the 'judge me after 10 games bollocks, saw for me his position was on borrowed time...' LJ will get the duration of his contract, we looked a better team in the league when he took over than we had all season, we were tight at the back (mostly), we pressed on in midfield and created lots of chances - that's all the majority of us want to see. I do think we will struggle again next season, as I think LJ will be trying to do his job with one arm tied behind his back. He urgently needs 3 or 4 backroom staff in sharpish to lighten the load. However, I do think that at the end of his initial contract we will be in a better place than we are now and i'm sure we'll be scrambling around for it to be extended/renewed. Dickov will be sat in a studio somewhere having long since been sacked by Doncaster......

defending corners, every sod was back...frustrating

At last some thoughtful and realistic reflection. It seems my work is complete .

For the record I think he will a bring a togetherness and spirit to the club which will compensate for other deficiencies and I am hopeful of getting 60 points

I'd of just told the person who started the thread to :censored: off if I were you mate.

The last manager got the goodwill of most Latics fans for much longer than was perhaps deserved.

The initial groundswell of goodwill to Lee Johnson, an unknown, has been earned by a mixture of talking the talk and walking the walk. It's won fans over and rightly so. He made the changes that got us out of a hole.

That's not to say that he's the Messiah. There were some performances under Johnson that simply replicated what led to Dickov's demise. Hardly surprising as the personnel were much the same. But, in the name of goodwill, I'll see this as giving a new manager a chance to identify weaknesses and address them.

So for now Lee Johnson is my hope. Not only will he be my great hope but I will also have faith in him. I'll give him a chance to fix things when it goes wrong, whichever method he chooses to use. I'll accept it when he bins off players I see as being decent. I'll accept it when he brings in youths, unheard of foreigners and players from the dodgy league to the north.

But there will be a judgement day. Hope tells me it might be a positive moment when we all realise we have a gem. Reality suggests it's more likely to be another disappointing run of results where it's clear that the squad he put together and motivated cant cut it.

For now let the hope over-ride the doubt. Let the dream diminish the nightmare. Let the opportunity for change and improvement take shape.

The truth will eventually reveal itself. Hopefully with an open top bus!

That, MrO4u, is a brilliant post. Take a bow. It's realistic and honest without either going overboard or negative. We all have hope every season, only to be let down so many times. LJ is certainly one switched on cookie and, hopefully, we will soon start seeing the positive fruits of his labours. All we ask is to give the guy a chance, encourage the team, don't start picking out boo boys the minute they make a mistake and don't judge until you've seen enough to make a considered decision.

At last some thoughtful and realistic reflection. It seems my work is complete .

I don't know how we would have managed without you. Other threads/posts have also been sensible and considered. Maybe you missed them.

For the record I think he will a bring a togetherness and spirit to the club [that's a positive for once] which will compensate for other deficiencies [followed by a negative, based on ???] and I am hopeful of getting 60 points [another positive; excellent]

He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy……..now :censored: off!

;-)

hes not the messiah , hes a very naughty boy . (mrs cohen brians mum , life of brian ) I have wanted to say that for years.

Prozac is the winner by three minutes

I'm hopeful O4u. If I'm honest, feel exactly the same as I did with Dickov. 100% agree he deserves a chance and at the moment you can't criticise him.

And Dickov had us in the play-off places at the end of the following February.

I'm pretty much where you are with one difference. Dickov was trying to motivate his team through talk - that's fine to a point but there as to be more than a few high fives. Johnson talks with more substance about how he will build a team and set expectations. That gives me more hope.

Great post o4u

Realistically I think if we finish above 15th that's a hell of a job done and foundation to build on

We shouldn't forget Johnson made bould decisions to take off bigger name players and not only a good feeling that a new manager does to fans but the squad by involving them all and rewarding hard work on the training ground

Not many rookie managers would have left Baxter out after his return from suspension but he showed no one is bigger than the boss or the club... Oh and we won that game :)

We are in decent not great shape all the moment

LJ won't be here long as he will either be great and get poached or :censored: and get sacked, whilst he is here let's try and enjoy it and lift all these negative thoughts of the past which have never helped

Im really confident about next year. So much so ive put my money where my mouth is and stuck 20 quid on us making top six. My way of thinking being the odds will dramatically drop if we get the multi million pound takeover which is in the pipeline.

Ive never been more confident in a manager at latics