Are you Old? Did you watch Latics in the Early 60's?

I was 16 years old at the time Oldham Athletic played Liverpool at Boundary Park in the F.A.Cup on January 27th 1962.

I initially stood about half way up the Rochdale Road end. I can't remember going to the toilet during the game, but I'm sure many who wanted to were caught short, as once you left your space on the terracing there was little chance of returning to your place.

When the Latics scored I must have been pushed down about half a dozen rows, it all seemed acceptable back then.

Other members memories of that match are on this thread;

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=36892

I remember in 1960 the Latics played Chesterfield in an F.A Cup replay at Boundary Park on a Tuesday afternoon.

This was because if was half day closing in the town and there were no floodlights at the ground.

Unfortunately I couldn't get time off work, perhaps as well as they lost 3-0.

Edited by BP1960

I was 16 years old at the time Oldham Athletic played Liverpool at Boundary Park in the F.A.Cup on January 27th 1962.

I initially stood about half way up the Rochdale Road end. I can't remember going to the toilet during the game, but I'm sure many who wanted to were caught short, as once you left your space on the terracing there was little chance of returning to your place.

When the Latics scored I must have been pushed down about half a dozen rows, it all seemed acceptable back then.

Other members memories of that match are on this thread;

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=36892

I remember in 1960 the Latics played Chesterfield in an F.A Cup replay at Boundary Park on a Tuesday afternoon.

This was because if was half day closing in the town and there were no floodlights at the ground.

Unfortunately I couldn't get time off work, perhaps as well as they lost 3-0.

I must have been somewhere near you as I was about half way up to the right of the goal in the middle of a load of Liverpool fans. Not a hint of trouble; in fact, quite the reverse. They were a great bunch and we had a great time with them.

I was 17 at the time and went with a mate who worked at the hospital in Rochdale. I lost touch with him when I left Oldham in 1966. I'd love to meet up with him again as we had some good times together.

Like LaticsPete, I'm also in contact now with the Liverpool fan. I hope we can help him.

By the way singe, I'm not old. I'm a recycled teenager. :grin:

Edited by Bristolatic

Anyone in the ground when we played West Ham in the Cup when Harry Redknapp and John Bond played. John Bollands our goalie that day. Which game was it when the crowd surged forward in the Chaddy End and those at the front nearly got crushed to death. In excess of 42.000 in the ground. Sorry another rolling stone.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barry

Anyone in the ground when we played West Ham in the Cup when Harry Redknapp and John Bond played. John Bollands our goalie that day. Which game was it when the crowd surged forward in the Chaddy End and those at the front nearly got crushed to death. In excess of 42.000 in the ground. Sorry another rolling stone.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barry

I was at that West Ham game if it was the one where Burkett, I think it was, scored from inside his own half when the wind carried the ball over Bollands' head as he was about 10 yards out of goal. It was a filthy wet day played on a mud heap.

42,000 plus was the attendance at the Liverpool cup game in 1962. The crowd crush was also the Liverpool game.

Concur with BristolLatic.

There's a classic photo of Bollands clawing at the air as the ball bounces over him. I was in the Chaddy End and there was a "time stands still" feeling as it bounced and everyone knew that Bollands wasn't going to get it.

It was also the match when Albert Quixall had a penalty saved by the West Ham keeper.

Which game was it when the crowd surged forward in the Chaddy End and those at the front nearly got crushed to death. In excess of 42.000 in the ground. Sorry another rolling stone.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barry

That was the 2-1 defeat to Liverpool in 1962 that prompted this and the original thread.