Happy birthday to one of the best.

Excellent keeper, no messing Harry about, strong and brave.

I will always remember a game at Crewe when I saw two of the best performances ever, Harry for the Latics and Stan Bowles for Crewe.

I believe Harry often turned out not knowing who the opposition were, no need for for clip boards with him, he played it as he saw it.

Edited by BP1960

Happy Birthday, Harry. Latics legend, family friend and all round good bloke.

He also has the distinction of being The Fall's Mark E. Smith's favourite footballer. :-)

WSC: Who were your favourite players?
Mark E. Smith: Harry Dowd, the goalkeeper in the championship team in 1968, was the best. He still worked as a plumber part-time and my dad was a plumber too. We used to go behind the goal and Harry would wander over and talk about washers and copper joints. I remember being at a cup tie once and Harry was saying “Do you know if this goes to extra time today, only I’ve got a job on at half five?” then suddenly people are shouting “Harry Harry!” and the team we were playing are charging down the pitch and Harry rushes out, dives at someone’s feet, throws the ball up the pitch then comes back and starts again, “So, is this extra time today...?”

Full interview: http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/100-Fan-culture/3751-call-yourself-a-football-fan--mark-e-smith

Top keeper in his day and without doubt a hero of my during my youth. He really made a difference when we signed him. It was a pity his career here finnished the way it did primarlily due to breaking his finger at Port Vale on New years day allowing Chris Ogden to come in and make the jersey his own during our remarkable run of 10 consecutive league wins on our way to winning this division in 1974.

Happy Birthday Harry

Dad said he was fantastic with his rushes to meet a player near the half way line or corner flag and always had time for the fans. Happy memories.

I can still picture HD rushing way out of his penalty box. He was quite quick over 25 yards!

Talking of pictures, here's another one for old times sake!

oldhamathleticteampic7071.gif

Happy days.

I can still picture HD rushing way out of his penalty box. He was quite quick over 25 yards!

Talking of pictures, here's another one for old times sake!

oldhamathleticteampic7071.gif

Happy days.

Not as quick as David Shaw though.