New for old

Things have become clearer now? In essence the major changes from the team LJ was picking at the end of last season and the one he appears to favouring are

Oxley for Bouzanis

Byrne / Mellor for M'voto

Schmeltz for Croft

Rooney For Smith

Is this stronger or weaker?

Do the options of JCH Mac Donald Dayton Rodgers on the bench for midfield and attack compensate for nil cover at keeper or back four?

After reading he ping pings comments in the Chron (or was it the fishal) think it was the Chron, regarding Mellor at the back, I can see what he's trying to do now.

High tempo, pushing up meaning defenders will play with a real high line, an old clogger like Byrne doesn't fit in with this philosophy, of quick passing, speaking of passing, you watch on Sat against Hudds. how many time Oxley taps it to Mellor mainly but also Tarky and see how they pass it out to the midfield, with the occasional long pass (not to be confused with aimless punt) - much more refreshing to watch.

Also, the fear is when we play a PNE with a Davies up top he'll exploit Mellor, but its simple really, high line Davies is on half way out of trouble, put Mellor on him, let him flick it on, Traky/Grounds sweeps up every time, easy!! (says here :-))

The issue arises if he has a pacy forward along with him, but if Tarky/Grounds/Brown do they're job properly and anticipate the flick on's etc it should be a simple sweep up.

Edited by alex_balls

After reading he ping pings comments in the Chron (or was it the fishal) think it was the Chron, regarding Mellor at the back, I can see what he's trying to do now.

High tempo, pushing up meaning defenders will play with a real high line, an old clogger like Byrne doesn't fit in with this philosophy, of quick passing, speaking of passing, you watch on Sat against Hudds. how many time Oxley taps it to Mellor mainly but also Tarky and see how they pass it out to the midfield, with the occasional long pass (not to be confused with aimless punt) - much more refreshing to watch.

Also, the fear is when we play a PNE with a Davies up top he'll exploit Mellor, but its simple really, high line Davies is on half way out of trouble, put Mellor on him, let him flick it on, Traky/Grounds sweeps up every time, easy!! (says here :-))

The issue arises if he has a pacy forward along with him, but if Tarky/Grounds/Brown do they're job properly and anticipate the flick on's etc it should be a simple sweep up.

Such a simple game. Makes you wonder why every team doesn't do this.

Joe Royle's ethos was, we'll score one more than you. 3-2, 4-3 were not irregular score lines. LJ I feel might have something of the same opinion. His front 4 look like they might be more dangerous than we've been used to recently, but his back 4 will probably get caught out quite a bit. Could be good fun though. If he's only half as successful as Royle, I'll take it.

Joe Royle's ethos was, we'll score one more than you. 3-2, 4-3 were not irregular score lines. LJ I feel might have something of the same opinion. His front 4 look like they might be more dangerous than we've been used to recently, but his back 4 will probably get caught out quite a bit. Could be good fun though. If he's only half as successful as Royle, I'll take it.

both Dickov and Moore also had that philosophy but we ended up getting found out by better sides i.e Southampton 6-0, Peterborough 5-0, Barnsley 4-0, Huddersfield 3-2

It's a team game and most successful sides have a defence, also if you spend most of the game on the attack you risk tiring key players out

both Dickov and Moore also had that philosophy but we ended up getting found out by better sides i.e Southampton 6-0, Peterborough 5-0, Barnsley 4-0, Huddersfield 3-2

It's a team game and most successful sides have a defence, also if you spend most of the game on the attack you risk tiring key players out

If Dickov did have that ethos, you could've fooled me. We had a paltry scoring record and lost an abundance of games by the odd goal.

If Dickov did have that ethos, you could've fooled me. We had a paltry scoring record and lost an abundance of games by the odd goal.

he started off with an attacking mindset in the first half of his first season, for example he told the full-backs to push on with the attacking midfielders supporting the strikers. But after we got spanked by Peterborough it all changed instead lining up in most games 4-4-1-1 instead of 4-2-3-1

he started off with an attacking mindset in the first half of his first season, for example he told the full-backs to push on with the attacking midfielders supporting the strikers. But after we got spanked by Peterborough it all changed instead lining up in most games 4-4-1-1 instead of 4-2-3-1

That was the game we went 2-0 up and lost 5-2 wasn't it. Remember it well. I didn't dislike PD, but he definitely lost his way. After we came away from Tranmere with a win in his first game, I was really excited. His last game, Walsall away, was abysmal.

I'm excited to see how we shape up at Stevenage, but I do expect us to ship a few goals this seas

Things have become clearer now? In essence the major changes from the team LJ was picking at the end of last season and the one he appears to favouring are

Oxley for Bouzanis

Byrne / Mellor for M'voto

Schmeltz for Croft

Rooney For Smith

Is this stronger or weaker?

Do the options of JCH Mac Donald Dayton Rodgers on the bench for midfield and attack compensate for nil cover at keeper or back four?

Lee Johnson for Paul Dickov

That was the game we went 2-0 up and lost 5-2 wasn't it. Remember it well. I didn't dislike PD, but he definitely lost his way. After we came away from Tranmere with a win in his first game, I was really excited. His last game, Walsall away, was abysmal.

I'm excited to see how we shape up at Stevenage, but I do expect us to ship a few goals this seas

no they beat us 5-0 at BP a few weeks after the Southampton game, they scored all 5 goals in the 2nd half. Dickov's main problem was that he couldn't win the ugly games

Edited by Tommy_Fent