Are the Neighbours too noisy?

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neighbours-noisy-regions-clubs-say-5582018#.Uf_93TVeL6Q.twitter

As if the morphing, gluttonous giant of the Premier League was not enough to deal with, sides in our region have to cope with having two of not just this countrys but the worlds, busiest clubs on their doorsteps.

With the new Football League season kicking off today, M.E.N. Sport spoke to officials at some of our clubs getting ready to kick their first ball in anger and amount the impact both good and bad of having City and United on their doorstep.

At Oldham , who are hoping to end their 17th season in League One with promotion, I found a surprising response.

The Etihad stadium is a short hop up Oldham Road from the Oldham borough boundary. You could even walk it.

But Latics owner Simon Corney actually welcomes having a big boy parked on his doorstep.

It is a challenge, he admits. But it is one that we have had to come to terms with. The clubs and Sky have done an excellent job promoting the Premier League and football has changed. We cannot compete with them any more and we have accepted that.

Corney, who will this year mark 10 years at Boundary Park, has nothing but praise for his noisy neighbours.

To be honest City have been fantastic with us, he says. That is also something that has changed. When I arrived it was difficult but now anything they can do to help is no problem if we ask them, and they have the capacity to do it, it happens.

City can even claim they did their bit to inspire Oldham to their famous FA Cup win over Liverpool.

Last season we were unable to use our training pitches because of the weather, Corney said.

That happened before the Liverpool cup game. City allowed us to use their facilities and we did alright from that.

Corney even believes the Blues come in for some unnecessary flak.

They get a lot of stick, City, and it is unjustified. They do a lot for us but keep it low-profile. They dont seek publicity.

Its not just training, theres equipment, offers of players. Theres been a real sea change.

I see Manchester as my adopted hometown and I am delighted that it is the capital of football.

Our relationship with them can only help us.

I know this topic can get a bit tedious, but what do people make of SC's words?

Personally I think the selling point of the Football League is Competetive Football, whereas the Premiership is about Glamour and big brand names

Edited by Tommy_Fent

Well, he's right isn't he? We can't compete with them, we never will be competition for them, football has changed, so if we can get something out of them that helps us then let's take it thanks very much.

Personally, I'd hate to support a club like City. The spirit has gone. It's pantomime. For all its misery I'd still take Latics in League One a thousand times rather than that.

City doesn't bother me, or Utd for that matter, it's the glory hunting armchair supporters in our town that does. Having said that greedy league fans in general annoy me, which is ironic because unrealistic as it is if we found ourselves in the championship then that would be the next dream. Things such as tuning into the radio to listen to post game phone ins and all you get is premier league muppets phoning in and the premiership ain't even started yet, usually discussing the same old boring topics such as Bale, Suarez and Rooney. It's been done to death can't they just go and hide under a stone and leave the football league supporters to air their views until their league actually starts.

Rant over.

Edited by slider1

Fair enough what SC says there, but of couse we should give them stick, for decades we've been rivals/jealous/local/jealous again, why can't we sing songs about them, i'm sure they can take it.

Fair play to City though for offering a helping hand, now doesn't the sheik rattle and roll want another challenge to run along his City project??

Edited by alex_balls

Well, he's right isn't he? We can't compete with them, we never will be competition for them, football has changed, so if we can get something out of them that helps us then let's take it thanks very much.

Personally, I'd hate to support a club like City. The spirit has gone. It's pantomime. For all its misery I'd still take Latics in League One a thousand times rather than that.

I felt that when we played Liverpool and Everton. Watching PL football is really watching something with no soul. You get a sense of the change when you watch the Big Match on itv 4. They've sold their soul for money. They'd rather get knocked out of the FA cup if it means finishing 8th rather than 9th. It's not fun, no passion - nothing there except an obsession with money.

Sad. I'd even say the Championship is, on the whole, the most enjyable league to watch football.

I'm always surprised at the amount of people who knock premier league fans and clubs because if one of us suddenly struck oil and ploughed the profits I to Oldham that's where we would be heading and I doubt anyone would be complaining and I'm sure we would win back some of those armchair fans!