Latics 0-1 Walsall: Post match reaction

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done some quick research and I cannot find anywhere that it is listed that a coach must have his hands firmly outside of his clothing garments for the full duration of the game?

Which page of the manual is it on?

Have you never heard the old expression "take your hands out of your pockets lad"?

I feel very good about Latics at the moment when one of the main problems seems to be "hands in pockets"......just been on the carlisle message board and they have a thread titled "Players we should sack"

And their manager has just been on their local radio saying the squad he has built can't compete in this league and the only reason they beat Blackburn is because they didn't want to be in the competition. Think it puts our problems into perspective a little bit. We will finish comfortably mid table this year and that will be a huge improvement on the last few years we have suffered.

We are two games in, and are in our highest position in the league in about 2 years. Lets enjoy it :OASISscarf:

Have you never heard the old expression "take your hands out of your pockets lad"?

Can you please explain how hands in pockets equates to 'lack of desire'?

By this rationale, if Murray was gesticulating wildly for 90 mins, but the tactics/decisions remained equally as ineffectual, presumably that'd be ok, because at least he showed a bit of "passion"?'

One big, fat placebo, please.

It felt like there were 10 players out there who were too afraid to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and do something special, with the exception of Tarky.

We were slow, sloppy and outdone on the ball by a good Walsall team, but mainly it seemed like they possessed a bit of flair that evaded us today.

Baxter never got the ball in a position where he could threaten, Rooney didn't have the ball at his feet facing towards goal it seemed, even Korey Smith who I'm guessing will be very consistent for us seemed off the pace with some loose passing and the wingers were just flat.

Schmeltz and Rodgers brought some dynamism and positivity to us when they came on despite the great chance that Schmeltz spurned but I'm hoping it's just an off day. LJ has to instill a bit of confidence into them for the tough trip to Peterborough, where hopefully we'll be taking a new CB.

It struck me yet again today that we :censored: ourselves playing at home... At Stevenage (and I'm going off commentary only granted) we played with almost reckless abandon, yet today, we were narrow, second best to everything and didn't seem to want the ball and I'm sorry but having sat at Boundary park for around 23 of my 30 years alive - some of the crowd don't promote confidence in the players. I agree with Johnson when he says the place sounds flat but it goes beyond that... One stray pass at BP and the player at fault becomes the anti Christ!

If you look at the match stats Latics possibly shaded it but for all that it just seemed we didn't turn up to the races. Walsall soon had the passing out from the back snuffed out after 15 mins in and that seemed to knock us out of our stride a little. We couldn't seem to keep the ball long enough at the business end of the pitch to find the openings to hurt them, yet on another day we could have bagged with the half chances and the stonewall pen.

The hoof ball never stuck up top and we just didn't make our own luck having the second ball bounce for us. Their goal was poor defending from us from high up the pitch to the final shot going in. Monty never tracked the run till it was too late so couldn't stop the cross, the defenders didn't protect the right zones to intercept it and all seemed to be in a line so missed it and it crept to their lad at the back stick to thrash it into the opposite bottom corner.

We move on....disappointed tonight.

Edited by Lags

Rooney was all over the place because the service too him was abysmal! Him and mcdonald played too far apart and the best we could give him were poor diagonal balls in the air nothing to feet and very few crosses in any areas of danager for him to attack directly onto goal. The shrek granny fiddler down the road couldn't have done better with that service today.

Just remember that great expectations breed disappointment.

Has anyone actually got great expectations though? I'd say most Latics fans realistically would be happy just to improve drastically on last season, maybe with a comfortable mid-table finish. And there's nothing to say we couldn't make a push for the play-offs, given how dire this division is yet again. I haven't really noticed all this 'hyperbole' some people seem to keep bringing up. Although I haven't been visiting this place that often...

Someone mentioned that Walsall cottoned on to the playing out from the back early on. I wasn't there today, but Derby countered it on Tuesday and we didn't know what to do.

I like the idea of passing it out, but LJ needs a plan b when the opposition get wise and push higher up.

Someone mentioned that Walsall cottoned on to the playing out from the back early on. I wasn't there today, but Derby countered it on Tuesday and we didn't know what to do.

I like the idea of passing it out, but LJ needs a plan b when the opposition get wise and push higher up.

This,

Sadly, hoofing it up won't work when our front line has an average height of 5 foot 11.

I get the feeling that some of the 'moaners' may have found this seasons target already - dayton - plenty of groans tutts huffs and puffs in the main paddock.

Also todays ref let their keeper take the piss all match with his timewasting - so frustrating today all round..

:censored:house, that's why. ffs, danny boshell had more steel.

just got back to Surrey from the game and fao of the chaddy end get some fire in your belly and get behind the team more. after we went 1down too much folded arms and chin scratching, it's 1st home game ffs . an moaners go an moan at your f?kin mrs. a bloke behind me shouts rubbish brown after we gave away a corner? too which I stood up an shouts keep goin brownie come on oldham keep em out,early doors yet but we were bad an lets have it right in truth wallsall were good

I thought the tempo just wasn't there today, I expected us to come out and impose ourselves on the game, which would in turn have lifted the crowd.

Tarkowski, smith, schmeltz (to a lesser degree ) and Rodgers' cameo were the positives for me....the rest fell short today.

The performance today ( albeit against a decent Walsall side ) will not bring the stayaways back.

Back to the drawing board.

clueless.

nothing more,nothing less....

ps tarky looks to have grown quite a lot pre season and had a good game,still,id look good stood next to cliff my god he's that bad its scarey.

i had a bad feeling when grounds tried to give them a goal after about 45secs..

People are being a bit harsh on Byrne here, yes he made a couple of mistakes but he's come back from an injury at the end of last season with little pre-season games under his belt. Add to the fact he's getting on a bit now and never been that quick it was always like he would make a few mistakes & be off the pace of the game and he will be until he's got a run of games in the first team.

Don't think we was as bad as people are making out today, if we had got the penalty in first half & Sidney had showed a bit more composure then it was a 2-1 win for us. Baxter needs to be played future forward, against P'boro it should be Smith and Rodgers in CM with Baxter further forward with Rooney up top. Schmeltz should be right wing with Montano on left. Dayton kept looking to come inside onto his left which was easy enough for Walsall's left back to deal with.