lost 4 out of 6 games

Not to bring in any negativity, but it's pretty much just suddenly dawned on me after reading the PNE Fans forum that we have 4 losses in the first 6 games, all of which we've been the much better side except walsall. I've pretty much shadowed this stat due to our performances (and the shrewsbury result definitely helped).

How the piss has that happened haha? When we're playing like we are. Hopefully its not a trend for the season, I've been telling neutrals that once we click we'll start beating teams left right and centre I just hope i'm right!

For anyone who gives a toss as well, as of right now 525 sold for rotherham, 1500 tics on saturday to Roar us onto 3 points? (and not just a slick easy on the eye performance!)

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I'm not great at maths but if we carry on with our current form we will end up with... (hold on)... 45.99999999 points at the end of the season.

We need to convert some more of these many chances we are creating into goals or we will be involved in yet another relegation fight come squeaky bum time next year.

Plenty of time yet though. Anything could happen.

Edited by butchcass

Im really not sure what to think. Loads of encouragaging points, a few worrying ones too.

We are dominating games well, but creating very little from open play (in the games I've seen) Derby, Tranmere, Walsall and Preston.

We are looking to play the right way, teams are saying how well we have played against them - but we are losing.

If a trait of a good side is to play badly and win, would you consider a trait of a bad side is to play well and lose?

There is a long long way to go yet, overall I'm not worried. There is loads to work with. We need to get ourselves an early goal in a game. I'm convinced an early goal would have seen us slap tranmere and maybe preston.

The play is good, the final ball isn't. That though is the hardest part.

Agreed Pukka an early goal and I think we will win most games, look at shrewsbury, early goal from Danny P and we absolutely slaughtered them.

Im going for 3-1 Oldham on saturday, really think we'll be the side to end rotherhams unbeaten run at home (believe its 10-12 games).

We just need to score when on top and dont make any daft mistakes.

On the bright side, the last time we started the season with anywhere near as good a performance level as this season we had a record after 6 games of W1 D1 L4 in Shez's playoff season. Between then and new years day we lost 2 matches and got to 2nd in the league.

I doubt we'll go on that good a run, but when everything gels for this lot it could easily be spectacular.

Agreed Pukka an early goal and I think we will win most games, look at shrewsbury, early goal from Danny P and we absolutely slaughtered them.

Scoring early makes the opposition completely change their tactics against us, forcing them onto full-on attack to try and get back into the game. Our football is built to murder those sort of sides. My worry is being able to grind those teams down and I feel it'll be less often than not.

That said, from what I've seen convinces me we should have enough to avoid going down this season. Those that think we'll be in the mix for promotion are on another planet in my opinion.

The problem we have always had is incosistency, again on monday we looked great for most of the game but couldnt finish the chances we had. it does appear to be the case that once we get the first goal early in the game we then seem to go on to do well. i just hope that we can pick it up and find

"Scoring early makes the opposition completely change their tactics against us, forcing them onto full-on attack to try and get back into the game. Our football is built to murder those sort of sides. My worry is being able to grind those teams down and I feel it'll be less often than not."

That's how I feel. We don't have a wellens or a shez to play the final ball when things are tight.

We will catch teams on the break who have sent men forward (see monty vs stevenage) and look more of a goalscoring threat.

As it stands we are not creating that much from open play, despite having the vast majority of the ball.

Quite simply its the best I have seen a team play consistently like this since Newcastle 95-96. Zipping the ball around at pace for 10 or 12 passes. The batterings will come. And there will be many.

Long may it continue.

I would love it if we finished in the same place that they did in their league. LOVE IT!

Edited by L1onheartNew

Scoring early makes the opposition completely change their tactics against us, forcing them onto full-on attack to try and get back into the game. Our football is built to murder those sort of sides. My worry is being able to grind those teams down and I feel it'll be less often than not.

That said, from what I've seen convinces me we should have enough to avoid going down this season. Those that think we'll be in the mix for promotion are on another planet in my opinion.

You reckon? I don't see why this side can't challenge for play offs, we just need to start scoring when on top (obvious I know but you see where im coming from). We're dominating all teams (bar 1) including Preston who are tipped for play offs and Peterborough, who are tipped for automatic promotion.

We proved on monday that we look a side WELL above a team who will struggle to stay up (based on the bookies and pundits)

Edited by Aaron Howarth

We are dominating games well, but creating very little from open play (in the games I've seen) Derby, Tranmere, Walsall and Preston.

The play is good, the final ball isn't. That though is the hardest part.

As it stands we are not creating that much from open play, despite having the vast majority of the ball.

I can't speak for Derby, Tranmere and Walsall, but just taking the Preston game, I don't think that 18 attempts and 5 on target away to one of the (supposed) top teams in the division can be described as creating little from open play. The fact that their keeper was voted MOM says it all for me. I honestly thought it was only a matter of time before we went ahead. It just needed one of those to go in and, as others have said, it would have drawn preston on to us more, exposing gaps at the back to exploit.

Bristol - How many saves did he make from open play? I can think of 1 from schmeltz and 1 other just after half time.

Most of the keeps good work came from our corners and free kicks.

Aye, but wasn't it because of that good work that we didn't get the final touch? To me, that's creating chances, but I take your point.

My point really is that the final ball from open play isn't up to it at the minute. If the dead balls are, that means we can deliver it... is it the movement of the forwards that is't up to it at the moment?

I want to see a midfielder run past the forwards too, we lack that.

Loads to work on and it looks as though I'm being harsh. I don't mean to be. It's frustrating as we are close.

@Harry - no I'm not. I am pleased with 90% of it. I have an opinion that it was good with lots to work with and some bits to work on. I say "if we score early I'm convinced we would have bettered tranmere and maybe preston" - is that me saying something negative?

I thought it was a good performance, but not the one you seem to. I'd love to know where I've said it was ":censored:".

Edited by pukka

imo were lacking firepower from midfield. The oppososition seem to have us sussed and are either packing out the defence or marking our forwards out of the game. We need someone who can hit the net from outside the box.,

Or arrive late with all those crosses coming in.

We can't have it all though. He's playing two yard dogs for a reason