Brazil 2014

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did alright in 2012, unbeaten in a group consisting of France, Sweden and Ukraine, topping that group and then lost on penalties to Italy who are always a strong tournament team.

We were dog :censored: in 2010, but 2012 was probably our best tournament performance since 2004.

I'm glad we've got a tough group, if we do progress beyond the group we'll be in good shape in the knockouts having already played two of the better sides in the competition.

I'm pretty sure this is an accurate stat... Since 1966 the only "top" nation we've beaten in a knockout game of any tournament (ie final group game or knockout stages) is Spain in 96. And that was on pens after a :censored: 0-0. And they were :censored: then anyway.

Just highlights how little we've achieved in our history.

Saying that though, this draw has got me excited. Can't wait for the tournament now, should be a belter. Play some of the young uns Roy and let em go for it.

Ross Barkley has got to go for me, the jungle is not the place for Frank Lampard for example to be running round like an idiot (granted a 15 minute cameo towards the end to see us through would be warranted). It is the place though for your Jack Wilshere's, Barkley's, Lallana's, Townsend's, Walker's, Walcott's, Oxlade-Chamberlaine's etc. Nice youthful team who will run around and have a good crack, whilst complimenting them with Carrick, Gerrard and Cole I think we'd have a good chance.

Hart

Walker Cole

Jagielka Cahill

Carrick Gerrard

Townsend Wilshere

Barkley

Rooney

He is but wouldn't fancy a midfield consisting of a 36 year old Lamps, a 34 yr old Gerrard and a 33 yr old Carrick in those conditions.

Italy are there for the taking at he start of tournaments, and more so because all three of their games are in hanging conditions, the two after England being in the North with 1pm local time kick offs.

Really need to start fast, get at them, take the lead and then have something to defend, lose and we could well be out before it's even started.

Absolutely delighted, the last World Cup was such a snore fest from an England fans' POV, USA was poor, Algeria awful and Slovenia horrendously nerve racking, and at least two of those sides were poor.

This year I wanted a tough group, if we're gonna struggle, id rather enjoy playing someone decent, Italy in our opening game or a Slovenia???

Italy will probably be a bore fest 0-0, in the heat and humidy, both sides will probably cancel themselves out.

Uruguay will be tough, but I really wanted to play these, Suarez is awesome, but Jagielka faces this guy regularly in the Prem, whether he can stop him is another matter, but he'd be more prepared than if he was facing a Falcao or Higuain. Cahill has a few years internationals and Champions League appearances behind him now, so should relish the challenge of facing (over-rated) Cavani, again Roy will probably play spoiling tactics in this game, and it'll be another 0-0 or 1-1, it would be really refreshing if he went for it like he did against Poland, but thats another story.

And the Rich Coast, the easiest on paper but perversely the team England will struggle most against, having said that if we get the two draws in the first games and then follow that up with beating Rich Coast then i'm sure that'd be enough to qualify, especially if there is a winner from the Uruguay/Italy fixture.

Rolling into the jungle for the opening fixture isn't desirable, but the other two games are in the cooler climate and both within an hour's flight of our Rio base, meaning the travel isnt ridiculous. For the Amazon fixture vs Italy, I imagine we'll fly straight in from our pre tournament training camp in Miami, providing there are adequate training facilities in Manaus, and acclimatise for a couple of days prior to the game. Then onto Rio for the rest of the group.

If we do manage to get through to the next round, whether that's by finishing 1st or second, we are likely to face the Ivory Coast or Colombia, both would be tough but are winnable, if we overcame that we would presumably face Brazil or Spain in the quarter's where we would probably say good night.

Either way, it's going to be an enjoyable World Cup, regardless of what England do, if we do get knocked out in the group stage, at least we would have had a couple of exciting fixtures for a change, we can then go on and enjoy what could be the most spectacular final ever, Brazil v Argentina in the Maracana, that would be awesome.

I have quickly come round to this way of thinking. I'm really looking forward to a Latin America tournament. When we play in stupid places like qatar and south korea the heat aspect winds me up, but in South America I won't even give it a second thought because it is a proper football place.

• 5 months later...

Suarez may miss the tournament.

I never wish injury on anybody but there would be some sweet justice if that cheating count missed out.

(Language edited for children)

Edited by jsslatic