Joe Thompson - Tranmere

At 24 has been diagnosed with Cancer. Absolutely awful.

When we played tranmere this year I was giving him some stick about his haircut. He found it funny and gave some back with humour. Seemed from the brief interaction like a decent enough guy.

Hopefully he fights this. 24 is no age what so ever

http://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/news/article/joe-thompson-011113-1148133.aspx

Played football against him when he was at United as a 14 year old. They had some right twats in that team (including Fabien Brandy), but Joe was always sound.

Then I played in the same team as him at 15-16 at Rochdale and he is/was really decent lad, funny and a very good player. Last spoke to him after the O'Grady brace game where he took the piss. I actually thought he was back at Rochdale...

Terrible news, especially at such at young age. He's likely to be in great physical condition too.

He was a year below me at Cuthbert's so I played against him quite a bit at dinner times and that. I always thought he was a good centre back where he used to play. I don't think he was a childhood Dale fan but he scored quite a few important goals and played a part in their long awaited promotion. If his football career ends because of this he has that achievement to smile back on.

Hope he can make a full recovery.

• 2 weeks later...