• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

into an area where the centre halves should have been, so cannot realistically be criticised for it!

There were 5 other defenders in the box, plus the keeper, let them do their job, I would like to see Smith further up the field, it's not as though it was a set play.

There were 5 other defenders in the box, plus the keeper, let them do their job, I would like to see Smith further up the field, it's not as though it was a set play.

So in open play, you're advocating a CM 'not' tracking back, going with a runner, and attempting to help out defensively?

But they didn't did they ? and smith doing the correct thing by tracking the danger he in no way hampered the other defenders attempts (non attempts) to stop the goal

But they didn't did they ? and smith doing the correct thing by tracking the danger he in no way hampered the other defenders attempts (non attempts) to stop the goal

No they didn't do their job, Kusunga drifted into the middle leaving the flank exposed and the centre backs marking no one - this left a small midfielder to deal with their biggest and most effective striker.

Also 5 Latics players were facing toward their own goal when the cross came over, so obviously couldn't see what was behind them.

I don't want to see Smith or Wesolowski deeper than the centre backs, I want them giving a better service to the strikers.

Edited by BP1960

Even so smith read the situation properly and tracked the runner whilst the opposition was on the attack . It's what I'd expect of any central midfielder

But if the centre backs had been in the correct positions it would not have resulted in a scrappy shinned goal. And that runner was the centre forward who our centre backs should have been looking for, to nullify!

But if the centre backs had been in the correct positions it would not have resulted in a scrappy shinned goal. And that runner was the centre forward who our centre backs should have been looking for, to nullify!

Especially as there were 6 Latics defenders and 3 Bristol attackers around the penalty area.

I'm not disputing that. what i was getting at was BP suggesting smith should be further up the pitch supplying our forward players but I'm pointing out that he did the correct thing in that pattern of play .

And mine too!

His eagerness to track back cannot be disputed, but the fact was there were 5 other Latics defenders in the vicinity, one of those should have closed down the crosser of the ball and a centre back (both were marking no one) should have been closer to Thomas.

My other point is if Smith is playing behind the centre backs (with Wesolowski not too far in front of him) it's no wonder the seems to be a lack of central midfield creativity.

It would be interesting to see the number of assists and goals from the midfield pairing this season ?

His eagerness to track back cannot be disputed, but the fact was there were 5 other Latics defenders in the vicinity, one of those should have closed down the crosser of the ball and a centre back (both were marking no one) should have been closer to Thomas.

My other point is if Smith is playing behind the centre backs (with Wesolowski not too far in front of him) it's no wonder the seems to be a lack of central midfield creativity.

It would be interesting to see the number of assists and goals from the midfield pairing this season ?

I give up

You can bet LJ saw what I saw and will be working on it in training.

I'm not talking about the defence though ! You said smith should be further up the pitch supplying the strikers but while the opposition is attacking how is he supposed to do that ? He's tracked the runner he's done the correct thing .

I'm with BP on this one

Having seen the goal the cbs should show more awareness of what's around them not just looking at the ball and looking out for runners coming into the box

Smith himself as captain should be yelling at them to pick up the incoming striker this didn't happen the ball ended up in the back of the net.

I'm not talking about the defence though ! You said smith should be further up the pitch supplying the strikers but while the opposition is attacking how is he supposed to do that ? He's tracked the runner he's done the correct thing .

We agree to differ,but if it carries on this way creativity will be scarce and goals will still be leaked.

Edited by BP1960

I'm with BP on this one

Having seen the goal the cbs should show more awareness of what's around them not just looking at the ball and looking out for runners coming into the box

Smith himself as captain should be yelling at them to pick up the incoming striker this didn't happen the ball ended up in the back of the net.

So smith should stop tracking the dangerous runner then stand still and shout at his defenders ?

We agree to differ,but if it carries on this way creativity will be scarce and goals will still be leaked.

It's a pattern of play where the opposition are on a dangerous attack , you expect at least one if not both of your central midfielders tracking back . This in no way means they can't be creative in the rest of the game .