MK 2-1 Latics: post-match stuff

Slightly baffled by LJ's team selection in the absence of Korey Smith, a 4-5-1 with a midfield of Wes, Harkins, Dayton, Worrall and Philliskirk left an isolated Stead up top.

Winchester and Rodgers can't expect to be here next season if they can't find a place in a five man midfield when the skipper's injured.

Quite happy with Kusunga's selection, although I couldn't help thinking that our best centre back pairing was being wasted at full back.

Kusunga got a yellow card for an innocuous challenge on the touch line. He'd earlier been penalised for a nothing foul on the keeper and irritated the referee for trotting back to his position when a repeated whistle was making it clear the man in the middle wanted a chat. The walking away routine was repeated again when the yellow card was produced.

Still, despite MK starting the sharper they only created one decent chance, nobody gambling on a cross along our six yard line. Latics on the other hand became more threatening as the half move on, Stead missing a great chance, easily cleared off the line after he'd taken it too heavily around the keeper.

As Harkins got more into the game the threat grew and a simple ball in to Lockwood saw what appeared to be an easy back header loop over an exposed keeper and into the net. There were chances to add a second before half time but Philliskirk was unlucky.

To go in 1-0 up was a success of the manager's tactics and, on the balance of play, deserved.

The second half saw Stead have a good shout for a penalty ignored but it was MK starting stronger and, when Stead lost the ball cheaply just inside his own half he compounded it by missing the chance to win it back. Their lad rode three or four powder puff challenges before hitting a decent shot past Oxley.

Latics responded well and Harkins created a great chance that he put just wide while Grounds and Philliskirk snatched at chances when they should have done getter.

Kusunga's red card changed the game. It hadn't really crossed my mind that he'd get sent off. Even after sliding in and missing the ball I didn't expect another booking. But it came and off he went. Some Wycombe fans in the Row in front of me thought both bookings harsh. The BBC live commentary attributes him with five out of our eight fouls in the game though. I think that's a two match ban.

Brown came on for Harkins, which removed our main creative outlet. JCH replaced the hard working but disappointingly ineffective Stead (numerous wasteful offsides) and Latics rarely looked dangerous.

Brown got given the runaround and Latics survived a few hairy moments with Oxley looking solid with an impressive mix of saves and cross gathering. Then, in injury time, he made what appeared to be a decent save before spilling it into the path of their match winner.

We got a lot right today, although it wasn't pretty. The red card killed us. I'm still underwhelmed by Dayton and couldn't tell you what Worrall's contribution was from his deeper role.

Edited by opinions4u

Slightly baffled by LJ's team selection in the absence of Korey Smith, a 4-5-1 with a midfield of Wes, Harkins, Dayton, Worrall and Philliskirk left an isolated Stead up top.

Winchester and Rodgers can't expect to be here next season if they can't find a place in a five man midfield when the skipper's injured.

Quite happy with Kusunga's selection, although I couldn't help thinking that our best centre back pairing was being wasted at full back.

Kusunga got a yellow card for an innocuous challenge on the touch line. He'd earlier been penalised for a nothing foul on the keeper and irritated the referee for trotting back to his position when a repeated whistle was making it clear the man in the middle wanted a chat. The walking away routine was repeated again when the yellow card was produced.

Still, despite MK starting the sharper they only created one decent chance, nobody gambling on a cross along our six yard line. Latics on the other hand became more threatening as the half move on, Stead missing a great chance, easily cleared off the line after he'd taken it too heavily around the keeper.

As Harkins got more into the game the threat grew and a simple ball in to Lockwood saw what appeared to be an easy back header loop over an exposed keeper and into the net. There were chances to add a second before half time but Philliskirk was unlucky.

To go in 1-0 up was a success of the manager's tactics and, on the balance of play, deserved.

The second half saw Stead have a good shout for a penalty ignored but it was MK starting stronger and, when Stead lost the ball cheaply just inside his own half he compounded it by missing the chance to win it back. Their lad rode three or four powder puff challenges before hitting a decent shot past Oxley.

Latics responded well and Harkins created a great chance that he put just wide while Grounds and Philliskirk snatched at chances when they should have done getter.

Kusunga's red card changed the game. It hadn't really crossed my mind that he'd get sent off. Even after sliding in and missing the ball I didn't expect another booking. But it came and off he went. Some Wycombe fans in the Row in front of me thought both bookings harsh. The BBC live commentary attributes him with five out of our eight fouls in the game though. I think that's a two match ban.

Brown came on for Harkins, which removed our main creative outlet. JCH replaced the hard working but disappointingly ineffective Stead (numerous wasteful offsides) and Latics rarely looked dangerous.

Brown got given the runaround and Latics survived a few hairy moments with Oxley looking solid with an impressive mix of saves and cross gathering. Then, in injury time, he made what appeared to be a decent save before spilling it into the path of their match winner.

We got a lot right today, although it wasn't pretty. The red card killed us. I'm still underwhelmed by Dayton and couldn't tell you what Worrall's contribution was from his deeper role.

Should never have made the subs he did. Harkins held it up. After subs it just came straight back. Jch needs to spend time in the gym. Way to light weight. Potential there. Bad subs today but at least lj tried something.

He had to bring Connor Brown on. But I'd have looked to give Dayton or Worrall the hook. The bloke behind me was an Arsenal fan on a day out. He identified Wesolowski and "Grandad" Harkins as our stand out players very early on.

The JCH going down soft routine pisses me off.

Getting bored of this now, 3 points thrown away today thanks to Kusunga's stupidity and our complete lack of ability to take our chances

After 30+ games our top scorer has 5 goals!

Sad to say but JCH has once again failed to convince me he has what it takes (only a short appearance today I know but thought he was very poor at Swindon also)

It was like we gave up. I thought Harkins was the only player who looked like creating something s/h and it was a poor decision to take him off. Kusunga is a massive liability either injured or suspended, can't dislike him because of The Posh game but I can see him going in the summer. Stead's finishing was very poor. Referee was complete :censored:e, for both sides. Deservedly beaten, we move on.

Just seen the goals. I am a big Oxley fan, but that was a horrific save he made before their winner...

When a keeper drops a clanger you usually expect.a team mate to pick him up supportively or pat him on the back etc.

It was noticeable that they all completely ignored him.

With a couple of minutes left I'd have hoped for a last effort from us, but we were spent. Oxley retrieved the ball from the back of the net and hoofed it 80 yards in frustration. Needless to say it wasn't returned quickly to the half way line by our opponents.

Then we got a free kick 40 yards from goal. Nobody ran over to take it. I can't remember who did in the end, but the subsequent delivery went straight to their keeper.

How did brown get the runaround. their winger didnt get past him once.

Just seen the highlights and can't believe that was a 2nd booking unless it was due to totting up a number of challenges.

As for the winning goal Oxley at fault. Got a very good hand on the save and should have pushed it away Wide from goal (always) not back out into a crowded area.

Just seen the highlights and can't believe that was a 2nd booking unless it was due to totting up a number of challenges.

That was his fifth foul. The rest of the team committed three between them. While there's a thread having a dig at Kusunga I think the second statistic is of more concern.

And you're right. Gleeson's conned the referee to get the red card out.

As for the winning goal Oxley at fault. Got a very good hand on the save and should have pushed it away Wide from goal (always) not back out into a crowded area.

It's awful. An absolute shocker.

I can only think maybe the ball for the last goal swung In a lot? Otherwise Ox has got into a terrible shape. Should still have been able to punch away right or both handed, but his shot stopping has been very good so we should give him benefit of the doubt maybe here.

Shocking dive for the sending off.

Lovely chip in for our goal. Extra time and vision on the ball.

Shame Philli couldn't sneak his shot in, would have been a great goal, and from an inventive throw in!

If I was in defence and 25 again, they don't score their first. And I was slow and :censored:e at 25.

I can only think maybe the ball for the last goal swung In a lot? Otherwise Ox has got into a terrible shape. Should still have been able to punch away right or both handed, but his shot stopping has been very good so we should give him benefit of the doubt maybe here.

My thought was maybe the lad running across him has put him off, still should be looking to push it wide however.

And if you're being really picky then Grounds could have reacted quicker.

Two poor goals to concede is the simple fact though.

And if you're being really picky then Grounds could have reacted quicker.

I don't think that's being picky. Oxley made a right mess of the save, but we played 9 men behind the ball when we went down to ten men (with JCH the only futile outlet (no knock on him - he didn't have any support)). Why wasn't one of them on hand to make a clearance?