Next season's team - what you'd like/what you think.

It's hard to second guess what LJ, the rest of the management team and Corney are thinking / planning at the best of times, but the old keep / release player debate is the hardest of them all.

If I was looking at the squad now - and looking at who to keep on, offer new deals to, or wind the contracts down and release; I reckon I'd have a completely opinion to that of LJ et all, and obviously mine would vary hugely to others on here.

I would be basing my expectations on something like this:

What I would be doing:

New GK needed

Release Connor Brown - New RB needed

Offer Grounds fresh terms, but as a CB. Give him a timescale to work towards, and if he doesn't commit at the end of that allotted timescale, move on.

Release Kusunga - new CB needed

Release Lockwood - new CB needed

Keep Wilson

Keep Mellor as reserve LB and an option for midfield, but neither as starter. Decent squad member due to versatility & natural left foot.

Keep Winchester - same as above, decent enough back-up for the RB and midfield births - versatile and should, in theory, be on a relatively modest wage.

Offer fresh terms to Wes - imo; vital he's kept on.

Smith - IIRC; it's was stated that it was Millwall who came in for him on deadline day. I can see them coming back in for him. Will be a battle to keep him I'd expect. Basing my thinking on him not being with us beyond the summer window.

Rodgers - due to the form of Wes, he's not had a sniff. Looks neat & tidy whenever I've seen him. Not a box to box midfielder, but imo is very decent fringe / backup for the central midfield. Assuming wages are reasonable, I'd keep on for another season.

Look to off-load Dayton - been disappointed with him, but on a 2 year deal so would imagine he'll continue to be around though.

Keep Philliskirk - one of better technical players, and when on-song, can be someone to spark the side.

Keep JCH - just try and get a brain transplant arranged with Charlie Mac; so he can have the stature and physicality; but actually know what to do with it (!!)

Release MacDonald - tough one, but he's been injured more than he's been available; and hasn't done enough when fit to justify the perseverance through the injuries.

I would do everything possible to tie down Worrall & Harkins into permanent signings.

Dunfield & Turner - not seen enough of either (nothing of Turner mind) to form an opinion of either - Turner is on a deal which runs into next year anyways, so that's a keep as it is. Dunfield, hmm, not sure - need to see more of him to make up my mind either way.

If all that comes to pass; players accept the new terms / we sign the loanees etc, I'd have 13 players. I'd need another 7 to get me to the magic 20 squad size - with essentially a new back 4 and GK, and a new main striker.

The squad could be plumped up with the younger brigade - the likes of Gossett, Bove and Truelove; but they'd be back-up and fringe, rather than starters.

I'd have a big old summer ahead of me to get 7 decent additions to the squad, to improve on what we've ultimately seen this season.

LJ has his work cut out.....

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say we are. Essentially I'm saying continuity - or a lack of - ultimately means nothing if results aren't going our way.

I agree in a sense. I'd rather us have a similar stance to MK Dons, a small quality squad. We've been carrying far too many youngsters who "can't play ninety minutes because they aren't ready" for years now. Why do we have players such as Anton Rodgers, Rachubka, Millar and Kissock when the manager has no intention of playing them?

I agree in a sense. I'd rather us have a similar stance to MK Dons, a small quality squad. We've been carrying far too many youngsters who "can't play ninety minutes because they aren't ready" for years now. Why do we have players such as Anton Rodgers, Rachubka, Millar and Kissock when the manager has no intention of playing them?

I'd guess LJ's thinking is something similar to;

Rachubka - Experienced backup with the quality to push Oxley for No.1

Rodgers - Decent CM backup who does jobs on the pitch that fans don't notice much, unfortunately been injured recently

Kissock - LJ has said he might not play much & is on an extended trial until the summer

Millar - Looked decent at end of last season, thought he might kick on this year - hasn't & tried to get him a loan but injury cancelled that.

most I know who don't go anymore is cost not the product on the pitch

once new stand is up they pay the most, main stand as it is now,rre away only

the chaddy becomes the reduced admission stand

my guess would be atmosphere wise would be left side of new stand as it was when lookers stand was up

everyone's a winner

I didn't say we are. Essentially I'm saying continuity - or a lack of - ultimately means nothing if results aren't going our way.

You are ofcourse 100% correct

However if we did have continuity we could build more of a game plan a, b and c as the players will overtime be able to know each other's games and what the manager wants of them.

Doing this we might be able to build a team that is worth more than the some of its parts. Which is the only chance of success for a club like ours.

Edited by GlossopLatic

The other chance of success for a club like ours is a good manager-I just hope that LJ goes back to basics but stands by his original beliefs. It might mean a few errors and, as we all should appreciate, it is a steep learning curve but I am hoping that the rubbish that we are currently watching is just a temporary situation. KTF

I cannot see Smith nor Wes being here next season .

I have little doubt it will be yet another 'Groundhog Day' style summer of ship 'em in , ship 'em out at Boundary Park .

Our financial position appears to make it impossible to form a squad to build on for the future.

We cannot pay enough , nor make contract long enough for this to happen.

Agree with big chunks of that post.

The one standout bit I don't agree with though is that bit I've bolded.

IMO; we have that back 4 next season, and we once again will be in for a struggle. Lockwood is a clogger - nothing more, nothing less; an experienced one granted, but still a clogger. Grounds appears to have forgotten how to play the game this season, and both Mellor and especially Brown aren't anything more than average at best League One full-backs.

Wilson has shown glimpses of promise, but again, IMO nothing more than that.

As things stand, with Oxley back to Hull, and I doubt Grounds nor Kusunga will be here, I feel we need to rip it up and start again. I'm usually an advocate of continuity across the side & squad, but only when it's warranted. Our defence needs attention, just as much as up front does too.

The defence hasn't been our problem

I'd get rid of everyone bar Wilson, Korey, JCH and Philly. Decide how you want to play, utilising those 4 to the best effect, and build a team around them, ideally using the best of the youth talent to supplement the free transfers brought in - Gossett, Turner etc.

I'd get rid of everyone bar Wilson, Korey, JCH and Philly. Decide how you want to play, utilising those 4 to the best effect, and build a team around them, ideally using the best of the youth talent to supplement the free transfers brought in - Gossett, Turner etc.

Half of me agrees, the other half thinks let's see if a number of them come good next season on the back of a rare occurrence of continuity.

you don't really mean that metty

You know what, I think I do. There's no evidence to suggest the current squad is going to gel - we can't string two or three results together, and are overly reliant on loanees, most of whom are crocked/not match fit/getting on. The only way the kids are going to progress is to give them games - we've seen with Winny, Mellor and Kirk that limited opportunities leads to stagnation. Most people have no link or attachment to the players, and generally there's little point.

I'm usually an advocate for continuity.

It was looking so rosey at the start of the season with plenty of 2 year deals knocking around.

Thats mostly out of the window now.

The short-termness of a lot of the players leads me to be right where i'm at - rip it up and start again.

Ideally keeping a core; and then getting in improvements in; well, basically, all areas but for me; in the back 4 and GK, upfront and depth out wide!

So - yet again - its a essentially a start right again.

You know what, I think I do. There's no evidence to suggest the current squad is going to gel - we can't string two or three results together, and are overly reliant on loanees, most of whom are crocked/not match fit/getting on. The only way the kids are going to progress is to give them games - we've seen with Winny, Mellor and Kirk that limited opportunities leads to stagnation. Most people have no link or attachment to the players, and generally there's little point.

Would you bring back Harkins?

In a way Metty I can see where you are coming from. You obviously like to watch talented natural footballers. I think you lower the bar when introducing into the discussion free transfers as we can retain many others thus making them effectively free transfers. But I do see your logic I don't want to watch journeymen!

If young Truelove can come back from his long term injury, and quickly pick up on his 9months of lost development, I think he stands a real chance of breaking through into the 1st team. He looked, during his back-end of the season cameos, like a young lad who had all the makings of becoming a 'real player' to me. Fearless, strong, mobile, comfortable on the ball.....and a shocking haircut; he even looked the part!

Gossett also looks to me like one of the rarer breed from our youths; another who could well come in & really cement a place in the starting line-up, week in; week out. He is small, but again looks fearless and surprising strong for his size. Again, showed for the ball and was comfortable in possession. And to be fair, if he's looking for a role model of a really small player who forged a decent lower league career despite being 3ft7"; he'd need to look no further than his manager. Hopefully, behind the scenes in day to day training, LJ is working hard with Gossett; as with advice, training and development; I think he too could be a real find for us.

I know we've been there plenty of times before now, with countless other home grown youth prospects, and they have mostly failed to kick on and live up the early promise. But - i really see something different with these 2.

There. Kiss of death from Sly if ever there was an example - watch them both be released at the end of the season now i've posted that!

I just think that LB and CM might well be sorted; without having to look outside of the club.

New gk and keep rachubka

Brown and new RB

2 new cbs

Keep Wilson and grounds and mellor

Try to sign Worrall and Harkins

Keep wes and Winchester and Dayton

Smith will go

2 new cms

Release Rodgers and dunfield

Keep philliskirk, JCH and turner and sign new striker

Release Charlie Mac (unfortunately) and Millar

Oxley - Keep, sign permanently if possible

Brown - Keep, offer longer contract

Grounds - Keep for as long as we can. We won't find better at L1.

Wesolowski - Keep at all costs

Kusunga - Release

Smith - Keep at all costs

MacDonald - It pains me to say release, but bye Charlie :(

Mellor - Keep on a shorter contract, final chance to shine

JCH - Keep

Winchester - Keep

Wilson - Keep, longer contract

Rodgers - Keep, medium-term contract

Lockwood - Keep, definitely good for another year

Dayton - Keep, shorter contract to put the fear in him

Kissock - Release, not seen enough

Millar - First out the door, release

Belezika - Already been told he's getting released hasn't he?

Philly - Keep at all costs, longer contract to make him feel valued

Worrall - Sign at all costs

Rachubka - Keep if he wants to stay, can't be anything but a good influence on Oxley

Harkins - Would love to see him stay just to hear Boundary Park collectively get on the edge of their seats when he pulls a bit of magic out of his arse

Turner - Want to see him play first team, but definite keep on paper

Gosset - Good prospect, keep

Truelove - Hope he pulls through, keep

Coleman - Seems rated, keep

Clarke - Same as Coleman, keep

Bove - Might knock 'em in for fun with the kids, but looked little boy lost in his JPT cameo. Sell?

Pritchard - Liked him the one time I saw him, prospect. Keep

Dunfield - Release

The core of the team is there and is GOOD. Yeah, this season has been a bit disappointing and we are doing whatever we can to create safety (playing less attractive football, short term contract cover etc) BUT keeping the bulk of this seasons squad will be key to any improvement we see next season. RB and CB cover is required, plus maybe a genuine attacking midfielder (who knows they are part of a bigger plan and are not THE plan). If Stead came back and got match fit to replace MacDonald, I'd be into it.

If young Truelove can come back from his long term injury, and quickly pick up on his 9months of lost development, I think he stands a real chance of breaking through into the 1st team. He looked, during his back-end of the season cameos, like a young lad who had all the makings of becoming a 'real player' to me. Fearless, strong, mobile, comfortable on the ball.....and a shocking haircut; he even looked the part!

Gossett also looks to me like one of the rarer breed from our youths; another who could well come in & really cement a place in the starting line-up, week in; week out. He is small, but again looks fearless and surprising strong for his size. Again, showed for the ball and was comfortable in possession. And to be fair, if he's looking for a role model of a really small player who forged a decent lower league career despite being 3ft7"; he'd need to look no further than his manager. Hopefully, behind the scenes in day to day training, LJ is working hard with Gossett; as with advice, training and development; I think he too could be a real find for us.

I know we've been there plenty of times before now, with countless other home grown youth prospects, and they have mostly failed to kick on and live up the early promise. But - i really see something different with these 2.

There. Kiss of death from Sly if ever there was an example - watch them both be released at the end of the season now i've posted that!

I just think that LB and CM might well be sorted; without having to look outside of the club.

One of the biggest disappointments for me with LJ is that he hasn't used the kids - especially against a backdrop of using 36 different players most of whom were :censored:.

After Gossett getting a few games back end of last season I thought he'd be a regular from the bench and maybe start 5 to 10, I thought Bove would get a few games too especially after his legendary debut.

That said, maybe they're just no good.

With the exceptions of Winchester and Brown (if he ends up qualifying) get rid of anyone who has been here a full season, is older than 19 and ends up playing fewer games than Gary Harkins. That means Millar, Rodgers, Rachubka and MacDonald are in danger (plus Bez but he has already been told he is off). I'd be offering the wages of the first 3 to Wes and Grounds in an attempt to get them to stay already. I'd give Macdonald until Easter Saturday to ensure he has played enough games that Harkins can't catch him before I'd start offering his wages to Wes, Grounds and anyone else who needs paying more as a consequence of paying them more (ie Korey).

If we are going to go down the same route next season of having an on-loan GK as our number 1 then I'd be tempted to let Rachubka stay. As I'd like a GK able to play at the club who has played a professional game before and I doubt we are paying Rachubka much.

I can see Kusunga being let go too, but I think that is because he has fallen out with Johnson for a combination of reasons. (He might end up only just qualifying for renewal under my system anyway).