Great to see the lad is going to play at Wembley in the FA Cup semi final.

He would probably have been press ganged into being a left back if he had stayed here ,as we were not able or willing to build a team around the most talented player ......no wonder we are going nowhere fast.

Whatever anyone says, we lost him because he had a clause in his contract and Sheffield United and i'm sure a few other clubs, were willing to pay that somewhat, small fee.

I suspect whatever LJ says, he knew Baxter wouldn't be here long enough to build the team around him.

He is an extreamely talented player for this level and if we built a team around him then I'm sure we would be doing much better than we are now! Sheffield played him up top on his own today and he was still effective with providing an assist! top player and we will be waiting a long time before we get another player of his quality. (Yes I do think he is better than harkins)

You don't fit a player of the calibre and quality of Baxter into your side; you fit your side around him.

Those who believe what LJ said about him not fitting in are probably the same people that gleefully voted Philliskirk as better than Baxter on that poll. Mad.

LJ had no choice but to sell him; the new contract virtually permitted his transfer away. LJ then recruited DP (who is a good player, just unfortunately in a rut at the minute) and spun it to appear like DP was somehow more versatile when, in fact, he is just a lesser straight substitute for Baxter.

Good luck to Jose. Loved watching him play, in a different way to the same experience you get with Harkins, but similarly you don't often see that talent in this league. I'd rather he got success with another club, mind.

I've never bought this idea for one second that we could not find a position for him it's easy you play him as a second striker your not sacrificing too much defensively if you play a 4 4 1 1 with Baxter on the hole.

We did struggle though. Teams just sat a midfielder deep and man-marked him out the game, and without Matt Smith upfront as a target that basically destroyed our attack.

I think his best place was in the infamous Dickov one-off v Liverpool - Baxter behind Smith and Simpson. We drifted into this system at Forest too. Meant he actually got space in the hole...

We sort of did this at the start of the season, with Baxter in midfield against Stevenage [what an exciting, aggressive team set-up that was in contrast with the current players and style :-(]. But he isn't a midfielder, so when teams got tough on our wingers and crunched us in the middle - Baxter and one other midfielder were too easily dominated.

With three in midfield behind Baxter, as against Liverpool, we were able to get narrow in midfield when we needed too - we couldn't do this in LJ's 4-4-2 with Baxter in CM.

LJ had at that point committed to playing wingers, and it wasn't working with Baxter in a 4-4-2. We were playing better with JCH and another out-and-out striker, so it was right to cash in.

Despite the FA Cup progress and Sheff U's rise, I still don't think Baxter would attract as much money as we got for him if he was sold now.

Despite the FA Cup progress and Sheff U's rise, I still don't think Baxter would attract as much money as we got for him if he was sold now.

Edit - did misread that first time... read it as though if we still had him and sold him now.

If Sheff United were to sell him in the summer they'd get 750k-1m at least, I reckon.

Edited by dave_ragg1984

He was quality today.

Still pissed off he was sold.

If you can't fit a quality player in your side then it speaks volumes about your ability as a manager.

Class or cloggers? I know which I prefer.

We could have fit him into our side, easily. Poker face from LJ, must have been gutted to lose a player with the quality of Baxter.

However, we couldn't turn down an offer that met the clause in his contract.

By all accounts it didn't.

(Although my understanding is that it might to do if the sell on clause is ever triggered).

Don't think they will have to sell Baxter to meet the clause, think them getting promoted will probably do it. Bet Corney wishes he had put a clause in about them getting to Wembley now, especially as it's probably going to cost us around £20k.

We could have fit him into our side, easily. Poker face from LJ, must have been gutted to lose a player with the quality of Baxter.

However, we couldn't turn down an offer that met the clause in his contract.

By all accounts it didn't.

(Although my understanding is that it might to do if the sell on clause is ever triggered).

With the release clause, did we actually have to sell if the figure was met? Liverpool's owner came out week or so ago & said Suarez had a £40m release clause that was matched but refused to sell anyway

With the release clause, did we actually have to sell if the figure was met? Liverpool's owner came out week or so ago & said Suarez had a £40m release clause that was matched but refused to sell anyway

I saw this. I presumed by putting it into a contract, it became legal and that if the fee was met, it triggers the player's right to talk to another team.

It doesn't necessarily mean that you HAVE to sell the player, but once the player is allowed to talk to the club in question, most transfers are 90% complete. As we saw with Baxter anyway.