is the year right ?

found this on facebook is the year right thought the ford stand was built close season 71/72 ?

other than that great painting ?

http://www.stadiumportraits.com/oldham-athletic-boundary-park.html

I think its awful...sorry....just doesn't catch the real character of BP...the red sky for starters....??????

I think its awful...sorry....just doesn't catch the real character of BP...the red sky for starters....??????

I liked that. Admittedly I wasn't around in the 1970s but despite all the dark times I'm fairly sure the sun shone occasionally. It's nice to see it represented in a painting of that era.

found this on facebook is the year right thought the ford stand was built close season 71/72 ?

other than that great painting ?

http://www.stadiumportraits.com/oldham-athletic-boundary-park.html

If my memory serves me right

In season 1970-71 Latics were promoted from Division 4 to Division 3 and also won the Ford Sporting League. They had won it every month of the season and I think the final prize was £70000 on top of anything already paid.

That money funded the building of the Ford Stand by George Dew and it was ready for the start of season 1971-72.

This is from memory and as I am getting on a bit now I stand to be corrected on the details

If my memory serves me right

In season 1970-71 Latics were promoted from Division 4 to Division 3 and also won the Ford Sporting League. They had won it every month of the season and I think the final prize was £70000 on top of anything already paid.

That money funded the building of the Ford Stand by George Dew and it was ready for the start of season 1971-72.

This is from memory and as I am getting on a bit now I stand to be corrected on the details

That's right in the main - though the stand wasn't actually used until the autumn (official opening friendly match v Huddersfield Nov 30, but it had been open for at least one match before then)

EDIT Let me quote from the programme for that Huddersfield match ..."The occasion when our ground finally became as good and as well equipped as most of the Football League stadiums in the country"

Edited by LaticsPete