Four Four Two: Top 100 Premier League Games

Published yesterday seemingly.

In 1st place, Man Citeh 3 QPR 2 on 13th May 2012.

2nd place, Arsenal 3 Stretford Rovers 2 on 9th Nov 1997. I cannot recall this game.

3rd place, Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3 on 3rd April 1996.

However, in respectable positions;

16th. Aston Villa 0 Latics 1 on 2nd May 1993.

28th. Latics 4 Southampton 3 on 8th May 1993.

Remarkable to think that those two games were only 6 days apart and we had Liverpool at home [3-2 win] sandwiched inbetween. Can you imagine the moaning today from some of the big guns about their schedule.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/top-100-premier-league-matches-thrill-providers-city-dividers-and-title-deciders?page=0%2C0

Published yesterday seemingly.

In 1st place, Man Citeh 3 QPR 2 on 13th May 2012.

2nd place, Arsenal 3 Stretford Rovers 2 on 9th Nov 1997. I cannot recall this game.

3rd place, Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3 on 3rd April 1996.

However, in respectable positions;

16th. Aston Villa 0 Latics 1 on 2nd May 1993.

28th. Latics 4 Southampton 3 on 8th May 1993.

Remarkable to think that those two games were only 6 days apart and we had Liverpool at home [3-2 win] sandwiched inbetween. Can you imagine the moaning today from some of the big guns about their schedule.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/top-100-premier-league-matches-thrill-providers-city-dividers-and-title-deciders?page=0%2C0

A year later we had 4 games in the final week, the rest is history....

What would you give to have a week like that again as a tic? Closest i can think of post premiership is beating leeds at elland rd and beating everton 4??? Days later. Pails in comparison really

Took my then 7 year old daughter to those games and warned her beforehand that there was a chance we would get battered in both games as I didn't want her getting upset if we did

On the way back from Everton the conversation was basically ' Dad you know nothing about football'. Nothing's changed really

What would you give to have a week like that again as a tic? Closest i can think of post premiership is beating leeds at elland rd and beating everton 4??? Days later. Pails in comparison really

Craig Dudley scoring 3 in 2 beating Wycombe and Northampton

16. Aston Villa 0-1 Oldham, 02/05/1993

The Premier League’s original Latics went into the final three games of 1992/93 knowing maximum points were needed to secure survival. Aston Villa, meanwhile, were desperately trying to keep pace with Manchester United in the title race.

Despite possessing the attacking talents of Dalian Atkinson and Dean Saunders, Villa were unable to make the breakthrough, and on a dramatic afternoon at Villa Park, Nick Henry grabbed the winner for the visitors. The result handed the title to Manchester United and ultimately proved to be the catalyst for Oldham’s survival, with the Boundary Park side eventually avoiding the drop on goal difference at the expense of Crystal Palace.

28. Oldham 4-3 Southampton, 08/05/1993

The first ever Premier League relegation dog fight came to a head at Boundary Park. Oldham needed to win and hope Crystal Palace lost at Arsenal to have any chance of survival. The Latics were going all out for the required three points, and as Southampton had nothing to lose it made for a thrilling contest.

Neil Pointon gave Oldham the lead on the half hour, scoring directly from a corner, only for Matt Le Tissier to volley Saints level just minutes later. Ian Olney put the Latics back in front just before the break, with Andy Ritchie heading in a third not long after the interval. When Gunnar Halle made if four it seemed as though it would be a smooth ride from there on in, but Le Tissier had other ideas.

The Saints hero quickly pulled one back, placing a 25-yard free-kick in the bottom corner, before heading in his third with five minutes left. But not even Le Tissier could prevent an Oldham win, and with Palace succumbing to a 3-0 defeat at Highbury, Joe Royle’s side remained in the top flight.

oldham5-4southampton.jpg

A picture was included on the article for this one!

And as I'm in such a lovely mood here's Sky's extended highlights (full half hour) of that game from YouTube:

Does it show Spike's outrageous handball sling out of the area when Southampton were pressing for the equlaiser?