This Scottish referendum

HarryBosch

Assets have nothing to do with it. They can't spend far more on themselves than England does with a far lower level of income unless we keep on sending them money.

That's the anglo-centric point of view. The SNP could plausibly argue, as it frequently has in principle, for transitional arrangements to include one quarter of Exchequer revenues, possibly dating from 1707 to the date of separation, the practical outcome of which might be vast UK Exchequer payments to Scotland long into the future. It's not just money. The SNP reckons Scotland has a claim on one quarter of UK Government agencies, one quarter of all discovered UK mineral deposits and so on. Everyone in England is :censored:ting it about Scottish oil and gas revenues going missing, but the SNP is after English, Welsh and Irish revenues of any and all sorts.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the anglo-centric point of view. The SNP could plausibly argue, as it frequently has in principle, for transitional arrangements to include one quarter of Exchequer revenues, possibly dating from 1707 to the date of separation, the practical outcome of which might be vast UK Exchequer payments to Scotland long into the future. It's not just money. The SNP reckons Scotland has a claim on one quarter of UK Government agencies, one quarter of all discovered UK mineral deposits and so on. Everyone in England is :censored:ting it about Scottish oil and gas revenues going missing, but the SNP is after English, Welsh and Irish revenues of any and all sorts.

Have you been at the cooking sherry again?

Have you been at the cooking sherry again?

It's not me who's been on the cooking sherry! It's the SNP on the whisky and Irn Bru. That's what they're after. One quarter. Of everything.

This isn't safe for work. And don't watch it if the wife or husband is about either.

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

It's not me who's been on the cooking sherry! It's the SNP on the whisky and Irn Bru. That's what they're after. One quarter. Of everything.

This isn't safe for work. And don't watch it if the wife is about either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SniOXFhwIZ8

They'll be after our unicorns next. They will get the split of the oil according to international convention, the minerals beneath their soil and a few planes and boats that they will sell to us for spare parts when they realise they can't afford to change the spark plugs.

Parachute payments?

I'd love to be in that meeting.

Scottish delegate: "Next, we demand one quarter of the window tax of 1 1/4 groats paid by John Manure of Tewkesbury in 1737."

Westminster delegate: ":censored: off you stupid :censored:."

But :censored: off you stupid :censored: doesn't exactly accord with many long-standing interpretations of the legal situation. "How's about you take 1/2 a groat now and the rest later?" is more like it.

But :censored: off you stupid :censored: doesn't exactly accord with many long-standing interpretations of the legal situation. "How's about you take 1/2 a groat now and the rest later?" is more like it.

If by, "legal interpretation, " you mean, "made up stuff," you might be onto something.

Said on the news this morning that Scotland's paid more in tax revenue than it's received in public spending 4 out of the last 5 years. You can prove anything with statistics though.

I don't know the sourcing of this but there is a lot of devil in the detail, especially around where you attribute central spending to. It's a fact that the Barnett Formula gives them more for services and also that a lot less of them are in work.

None of that stuff says anything like what you said.

To be continued (for decades as an entirely moot debate).

Great opportunity to punish the SNP by giving them what they want. No more Barnett formula. No more UK Government departments in East Kilbride. And all Cameron has to say to justify it is, "I've listened to the people of Scotland and this is what they say they want."

They all promised to maintain the Barnett Formula. I just can't see the rest of the country being cool with Scotland having home rule while their kids and sick people get preferential treatment. At the moment they are having their cake and eating ours.

Oh well, the people have spoken. The bastards.

The electoral turnout was 85% of the 97% registered voters. Although unlikely, the 12% registered people who did not vote could have affected the result.

The turnout in the 2010 Parliamentary Election was only 65.1% and the Tories and Lib Dems together got less than 50% of that paltry turnout. It's too easy to be apathetic about politicians generally and to decline to vote, saying even if I vote, I can't complain. The democratic process is the only method available to express our preferences, and has been considered important enough in the past for people to die for.

There's a General Election next May. Use your vote.