Mellor out on a months loan to Alfreton

In Mellor's defence, his one outing for the first team this season was against a very good Middlesbrough side, where most of the Oldham side were also :censored:e.

He's got the talent in there somewhere, but his confidence his clearly a problem. The 'my legs just wouldn't work and I couldn't run' incident last season did him no favours.

25 to 30 seconds & I was smitten

I meant Lee Sinnot only noticed his talent after 40+ games!

when he made his first appearance coming on as a 60th minute substitute at home, aged 19 was what did it for me... the first thing he did was shove big Jean Yves over to the right and started marshalling the defence

then he did a cruyff turn near the corner flag...

Edited by kieranmcandrew

Love the ppl writing off Mellor that wrote of Winchester and Tarkowski...

Mellor's so rubbish, yet he had Sterling in his pocket at Anfield.

He's got work to do. Why does this mean he's rubbish - he was more impressive than Winchester last season. As LJ has said, he was injured in pre-season and needs game time for fitness.

I love how doing well at a given level implies he's 'found his level'. That's great though - it means no Championship clubs will come in for Winchester in January....

Since he and Korey kept us in league one at the end of 2012/13 he has had a grand total of two chances in CM. 30-40 mins at Rotherham before making a rash decision and against a Boro side challenging at the top of the Championship. We know he isn't a LB as he struggles with off the mark pace, yet is suprisingly strong and powerful when running WITH the ball. He needs to play CM or on the left of a diamond (CW on the right?).

Personally, I am a Mellor fan (as a midfielder) and feel he, like Winch, just needs that chance. He has that extra time on the ball than most others at the club due to a Premiership quality first touch and will always search for the killer direct through ball/pass to strikers feet. He is stronger than he was 2 years ago and despite LJ saying he would develop the young players, I feel Mellor has been mistreated over the last 12 months. There is a reason Fulham came sniffing and we need to allow the lad to progress as a midfielder. Last time he went on loan (much lower level - Chorley?) he came back sharper and knocking on Dickov's door. Lets hope the same happens here and he gets that chance - if he doesn't take a proper chance, by which I mean a good 6-10 games in the squad / team as a CM/LM then I will hold my hands up, but don't write the lad off just yet!

Since he and Korey kept us in league one at the end of 2012/13 he has had a grand total of two chances in CM. 30-40 mins at Rotherham before making a rash decision and against a Boro side challenging at the top of the Championship. We know he isn't a LB as he struggles with off the mark pace, yet is suprisingly strong and powerful when running WITH the ball. He needs to play CM or on the left of a diamond (CW on the right?).

Personally, I am a Mellor fan (as a midfielder) and feel he, like Winch, just needs that chance. He has that extra time on the ball than most others at the club due to a Premiership quality first touch and will always search for the killer direct through ball/pass to strikers feet. He is stronger than he was 2 years ago and despite LJ saying he would develop the young players, I feel Mellor has been mistreated over the last 12 months. There is a reason Fulham came sniffing and we need to allow the lad to progress as a midfielder. Last time he went on loan (much lower level - Chorley?) he came back sharper and knocking on Dickov's door. Lets hope the same happens here and he gets that chance - if he doesn't take a proper chance, by which I mean a good 6-10 games in the squad / team as a CM/LM then I will hold my hands up, but don't write the lad off just yet!

Hi David!!

In all seriousness though, i can't help but feel he's going to be one of those frustrating players who, you do know there is potential in there to kick on, but they never seem to.

It looks to me like its all in his head. I mean, i dont know the lad at all, but he seems to suffer from confidence issues and doesnt appear to have much of 'voice' if you will - always been far too meek and mild whenever he's played. He has this hang dog expression and body language to pair with it too.

I'm not saying if he was bolder and brasher, he'd suddenly kick on, but i dont think he's helping himself with his apparent personality traits.

His main issue for me is his lack of any form of acceleration. He's incredibly one-paced. It limits him a lot, and was; IMO, the joint main reason sides targeted him when he played LB (along with his positional discipline).

BUT - whilst you'll never been able to make chicken salad from chicken :censored:, it can be worked on to inprove it from where it is now. I'd hope the fitness team (antony white?) are working on that for him?

This loan will hopefully help with his confidnce - his belief that he can do it; allbeit at a lower level.

If he can grab a few more goals, assists and MOTM awards whilst he's there, he should - in theory; should - come back fitter and way more confident; and be doing the old 'banging on the managers' door' asking for a starting place.

I hope he does just that. It worked for Taylor...

Mellor doesn't just need time, he needs to turn his potential into some performances. That doesn't come from his manager, sooner or later it has to come from him.

Some nice elements to his game, but as a player he needs to start having an impact on the match. Winchester looks like he is finally understanding that.

Mellor doesn't just need time, he needs to turn his potential into some performances. That doesn't come from his manager, sooner or later it has to come from him.

Some nice elements to his game, but as a player he needs to start having an impact on the match. Winchester looks like he is finally understanding that.

When he had a chance in CM he took it with both hands and was excellent. He needs a run in the team to show the fans that. There is less than half (being generous) the fans on this board that were wanting CW to get a chance. 40 mins at Rotherham and 45 at home to Boro is not a chance - it's been 16 months since he played in midfield for longer than half a game.

I thought Mellor played excellent in midfield when LJ first came in. Was really surprised to not see him kick on and command a starting place last season, something is not right and I would guess it is his attitude and performances in training, meaning he doesn't warrant a starting spot.

I don't buy into this not enough chances for the young players, if they are good enough and show the right attitude they will get in. I always thought Winchester looked talented but expected him to be another one on the scrap heap, very surprised to see him nail down a starting spot and consistent performances, sounds like he has well and truly proved me wrong and I assume this is down to his hard work.

Lets hope Mellor can do the same instead of writing him off. If he doesn't I am sure he will be looking for a new club when his contract runs out.

• 2 weeks later...

If Mellor is a confidence player, then sending into a relegation dogfight is not going to help him one bit.

BUT, you'd hope he would take the team/game by the scruff of the neck and lead them out of trouble for his development.

he has to be able to mix it up of course to progress, but you do wonder how he would progress if he was part of a winning team for a bit with a run of games.