Andy Ritchie voted fans favourite of the last 25 years in the Chron

I started going in 98 so it was Eyres for me. First season as a season ticket holder was 02/03 so had the luxury of seeing that fantasic Dowie side containing Fitz Hall, Clyde Wijnhard etc. Best team I can say I have seen at Latics.

I pity anyone who started watchin us while.in this division. My first season was the year after we won the division 2 title so i never actually got to see us win anything but i got to see some awsome players at bp. Its what keeps me going to think we will see them days again sometime.

Back on topic its ritchie all day. Last 20 years id say eyres and sheridan. No one else comes close. Ironically they signed on the same day didnt they?

I pity anyone who started watchin us while.in this division. My first season was the year after we won the division 2 title so i never actually got to see us win anything but i got to see some awsome players at bp. Its what keeps me going to think we will see them days again sometime.

Back on topic its ritchie all day. Last 20 years id say eyres and sheridan. No one else comes close. Ironically they signed on the same day didnt they?

Nope. Eyres signed with Tony Carss and I think Sheridan signed the same day as Super John McGinlay...

I wake up in the morning and kiss Andy Ritchie's head. Then it is hours later and he runs on the pitch and lobs the Leeds keeper from besides the linesman. Then the game finishes with us extending our unbeaten record with a 2-0 win. Then we go back to mine and make passionate love with each other. Then I awake and realise.

It was Barnsley we were playing.

Nope. Eyres signed with Tony Carss and I think Sheridan signed the same day as Super John McGinlay...

Didn't Ritchie sign them all, just to bring it full circle?

Ritchie was an exceptionally gifted footballer. By far the best i've seen in a period now covering five decades. I actually saw him as a kid play for United and score a hat trick against Wolves. Such a skilful and intelligent player. If he'd had that bit of extra pace he would never have worn an Oldham shirt. Just think, he cost just under £50k, and big Joe even argued about that and took it to a tribunal.

Results – Andy Ritchie, 35 per cent, David Eyres 15, Roger Palmer 13, Rick Holden 11, Sean Gregan 7, Gunnar Halle 4, Earl Barrett 2, Richard Jobson 2. Other votes were cast for John Sheridan, Ian Marshall, Jose Baxter, Mike Milligan, Tony Philliskirk and Chris Taylor.

I loved Eyres but - ahead of Palmer & Holden?

This doesn't make any sense. Stitch only getting just over a third of the votes, there must have been a lot of people voting who never saw him play.

Andy had had his best season for Latics the year before this period starts. He was great in the Championship winning season but Marshall, Redfearn, Rick and Hallworth were our best players for me that year and after we'd got up Andy was often injured and constantly in and out as a result.

Best player in the last 26 years though, I'll grant you that.

Andy had had his best season for Latics the year before this period starts. He was great in the Championship winning season but Marshall, Redfearn, Rick and Hallworth were our best players for me that year and after we'd got up Andy was often injured and constantly in and out as a result.

Best player in the last 26 years though, I'll grant you that.

I thought he was pretty good in 94/95 too, our first year in the second tier. I was absolutely distraught when he left to go to Scarborough...

Yep. I haven't read it, but I think Sharp pretty much admitted in his book that it was a case of "there's only one sheriff in this town..."

Getting rid of Ritchie only had one positive for Sharpe - it briefly took the focus away from his dodgy managers duffel coat. I seem to remember Royle recommended him - as great as Royle was he also recommended Penney - great manager, let's not listen to his suggestions though... Oh yeah, Ryan Brooke had his endorsement too... Heard he might have offered insight into George Green - let's hope not lol

Ritchie and the pinch me years was before my time unfortunately.

Eyresy skinning lads half his age with the same trick/turn week in week out

Eyresy for me :OASISscarf:

His goal in his final game was just perfection. He just thought he'd show us his party piece one last time. :wub: