Oldham v Wigan

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we keep playing one up front only to go a goal down - which ineviably leads to to a switch to 2 up front when we actually look like scoring?

This is the key, it's like the attitude is we're losing so we may as well go for it. When we're not losing we want to hang on to it. That's where the problem is - lack of intent. Either that or they're just scared stiff of losing.

There was an audible sigh of relief in the family section.

My lad even put his IPad away.

Yeah I thought I heard a few cheers in from the main stand upper when his number went up.

I didn't think he did anything wrong. To me he is a striker being played everywhere but up front. Not really fair on the lad but he isn't necessarily up to scratch elsewhere.

Like Turner & Murphy if they play these guys in their natural position they may find some decent players for this level.

Edited by palmer1

You hear about players who don't like football.

Danny Philliskirk gives you that impression while he's actually playing it.

I don't think I've ever seen a player who clearly has ability play with so little ambition. No "ooomph" whatsoever.

What a load of absolute bollocks. Were you sat near me spouting crap all game in the RRE? Not a frigging clue about understading the match time and time again!

Edited by ChaddySmoker

What a load of absolute bollocks. Were you sat near me spouting crap all game in the RRE? Not a frigging clue about understading the match time and time again!

So that's not rating Philiskirk along side liking Winchester that make us all clueless idiots.

Yeah I thought I heard a few cheers in from the main stand upper when his number went up.

I didn't think he did anything wrong. To me he is a striker being played everywhere but up front. Not really fair on the lad but he isn't necessarily up to scratch elsewhere.

Like Turner & Murphy if they play these guys in their natural position they may find some decent players for this level.

I have to say, I did have a laugh with you in mind when the guy near me massively overplayed Brown's 5 yard cross in to the box in the first half.

He might have been even worse today than he was against Peterborough.

No.

Does he not depress you?

I would have given anything to be a footballer in hindsight.

There's just nothing there.

He's got the best job in the world (in my opinion) and just doesn't seem arsed about producing any magic, writing his name in Oldham Athletic history.

He could I reckon. He could be good enough. But he doesn't seem to want to be.

He should get a job in the public sector.

He's been piss poor for about 12 months. And I used to like him. Can't see what he offers at the moment that couldn't be improved by someone else

We would get over run in midfield playing 4 4 2 - we should play 4 5 1 , which when attacking changes to 4 3 3 & when defending reverts back to 4 5 1

100% agree

I'm not quite sure what "over run in midfield" means or of it's even an actual thing but, let's try it. It can't be worse than not getting "Over run in midfield".

Maybe we could over run them somewhere else......??

Danny Philliskirk gets so fired up pre-match the management team literally have to calm him down but once he hears the first chorus of "Everywhere We Go", or worse "I Just Can't Get Enough", he retreats into his shell like a footballing Manchurian Candidate.

I blame Crystal Palace and The Athletico's.

I'm not quite sure what "over run in midfield" means or of it's even an actual thing but, let's try it. It can't be worse than not getting "Over run in midfield".

Maybe we could over run them somewhere else......??

I will try to keep this very basic for you, getting over run means being outnumbered meaning not getting possession of the football, did we play 4 4 2 against Peterborough?

Obviously that cements your argument for playing 4 4 2 :thinking2:

I have to say, I did have a laugh with you in mind when the guy near me massively overplayed Brown's 5 yard cross in to the box in the first half.

He might have been even worse today than he was against Peterborough.

I've said many times people congratulate him for not :censored:ing up.

I've admitted on here previously that at times in the past he has shown signs of improvment. However I am sad to say that he proveing me right on everything I ever said about him. He is a Latics player after all and want them all to be good but its time to go now.

I can't imagine David Dunn who has played at the very top level looks at Brown and thinks...yep he'll do for me!

Well, i thought that was infinitely better than the last home match. Given how spectaculalry bad we were,

that's a big improvement. I thought Wigan would bury us. They were actually very average. They didn't even have a shot for 30 minutes. Then they had a 15 minute spell, but that was that. Seriously average. They were very negative and :censored: themselves when the lad got sent off. I mean, they were packing their defence and

hoofing it out. Really surprised at the old pie eaters.

Dunn has made a solid start.

Half fit Kelly is better than a fully fit anyone else playing in that position.

Parnell played really well - one good and and one superb save.

Big Higgy gave us a physical presence, which is more than what we've had. He makes Ron Futcher look like

Linford Christie, but at least we've got something to aim at.

If we play one up front, like most teams do these days, we need to have more mobility/support from midfield.Sorry, but i have never seen the point of Philly. I just don't get it. He's a grafter..and??

Poleon is an impact player, but he really should be able to play 90 minutes.

Jones' energy had an impact. His best 45 minutes.

Connor Brown's schooldays! he plays like a 13 year old kid, making the same mistakes over and over and over....enough. I've been patient, waiting for him to mature, but it's not going to happen.

Centre backs played well and Tim was solid enough.

A lot better and, despite the trials and tribulations of the last week, we should've beaten a team that manybelieve will win promotion. Personally, i think Wigan have a high option of themselves. They remind me of many others who have come down to this division and then took at least 2-3 seasons to get out.

FWIW I thought Jones was :censored:e, and then when Kelly went off he ran the show.

I've been wondering for a while now whether it should be one of Kelly or Jones with one of Winch, Dunn - if he was still playing, Green or now Fulton alongside him, with Croft and Forte or Yeates either side?

I will try to keep this very basic for you, getting over run means being outnumbered meaning not getting possession of the football, did we play 4 4 2 against Peterborough?

Obviously that cements your argument for playing 4 4 2 :thinking2:

If we're "Over run" in one area does that not mean we're "under run" somewhere else?

same old :censored: for me today,just a shade better than donny last week!! we only attacked when they went to ten men,otherwise one up top at home is a joke,Dk would have has his head ripped off for this today!!!

But today we played the 2013 FA Cup winners not Doncaster.

He changed it second half and I enjoyed it.

Plenty of positives.

But today we played the 2013 FA Cup winners not Doncaster.

He changed it second half and I enjoyed it.

Plenty of positives.

as I said a shade better against 10 men, plenty of positives!! If we play every team against 10 men maybe, it's the only way we will attack teams at the moment