Ritchie Wellens

Wellens can probably still do a decent job in league one but not for Latics.

We have to win games the situation we are in and we need somebody that can not only pass a ball forward but have some goal threat as well.

In the games he did play he sat far too deep and allowed Kelly to move further up, much prefer Kelly sitting deep and breaking play up and have Palmer more forward.

I think Palmer is a much better alternative and i am not unhappy that Wellens didn't sign for us.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have to win games the situation we are in and we need somebody that can not only pass a ball forward but have some goal threat as well.

In the games he did play he sat far too deep and allowed Kelly to move further up, much prefer Kelly sitting deep and breaking play up and have Palmer more forward.

I think Palmer is a much better alternative and i am not unhappy that Wellens didn't sign for us.

All of which assumes Palmer will still be here in 3 weeks. From what I've seen we'd better hope that's the case.

Wellens passed the ball forward more in one game than Kelly has done all season...

Wellens passed the ball forward more in one game than Kelly has done all season...

Must have missed that game which one was that !!!

Kelly game is more about breaking their attacks up which he is good at.

The games i saw Wellens in he just came back to collect the ball off the goalie and played it sideways.

Did nothing constructive in the opponents half of the pitch and in the home game he played with Kelly they just got in each others way.

Wellens was good in his first spell but not the type of player we need now.

It amazes me how some people use a player who's class was top level and liken them to a second level player. Absolutely no comparison between the two players. Stick to your opinion Wellens can still do a job, but come on

I did not compare Sherdian and Wellens ability once if you read my posts...

I posted about perceptions of players at a certain age. A catergory that both Shez and Wellens fall into when playing for Latics at the back end of their career.

Just to point out as well that Wellens was on the verge of top level foorball with Leicester until a bad knee injury put a stop to it. That is not to say he was in the same class as Shez.

Edited by palmer1