Bottom of the league....

I sat there watching Jeff Stelling on Saturday thinking to myself "when was the last time we hit bottom of the league?"

Couldn't think of the answer. And I mean bottom as in at full-time...printed in the following mornings paper bottom. Not this "in-game" bottom of the league we just had.

Does anyone know the answer? Did we under Dickov and then we went to Pompey and won?

We never went bottom under Dickov or Penny we started abysmally under Andy Ritchie in 98-99 we started poorly under shez but in terms of bottom of the league this deep into a season you would have to back to 96-97 where we were relegated or even 92-93 where we were bottom in march and then beat Man United and pulled off the great escape so being bottom at Christmas we are potentially looking at a low point in most Latics fans life under the age of 50 and going down could mean that this is the worse side in over 45 years.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We never went bottom under Dickov or Penny we started abysmally under Andy Ritchie in 98-99 we started poorly under shez but in terms of bottom of the league this deep into a season you would have to back to 96-97 where we were relegated or even 92-93 where we were bottom in march and then beat Man United and pulled off the great escape so being bottom at Christmas we are potentially looking at a low point in most Latics fans life under the age of 50 and going down could mean that this is the worse side in over 45 years.

Was going to suggest under Talbot if not Dickov (wasn't sure if we had under Dickov tbh.) Pretty sure we did hit bottom under Ritchie for a game or two. That 98-99 season we didn't score a goal in the first 5 games if I remember right. Remember being at Brentford away and they had a player down injured. We kicked the ball back to their keeper and we all started singing "we've had a shot, we've had a shot, Oldham's had a shot"

But yeah, at this time of the season it probably is a long time ago since we were rock bottom of a league.

Was going to suggest under Talbot if not Dickov (wasn't sure if we had under Dickov tbh.) Pretty sure we did hit bottom under Ritchie for a game or two. That 98-99 season we didn't score a goal in the first 5 games if I remember right. Remember being at Brentford away and they had a player down injured. We kicked the ball back to their keeper and we all started singing "we've had a shot, we've had a shot, Oldham's had a shot"

But yeah, at this time of the season it probably is a long time ago since we were rock bottom of a league.

Make sure you don't do that these days. Dunn would be straight to the Chron about it...

We definately scored in the first game of 98-99 at home to notts county, it was 99-00 where we lost the first 5 and only got a goal in game 5. we did play 3 of the teams who would get promoted that season ein the first 5 fixtures, Gillingham Preston and Burnley we scored at Gillingham then the following week we beat Bury who were managed by Warnock. I don't think we were ever bottom under Talbot but we were certainly there or thereabouts Prozac is the man for this usually.

We definately scored in the first game of 98-99 at home to notts county, it was 99-00 where we lost the first 5 and only got a goal in game 5. we did play 3 of the teams who would get promoted that season ein the first 5 fixtures, Gillingham Preston and Burnley we scored at Gillingham then the following week we beat Bury who were managed by Warnock. I don't think we were ever bottom under Talbot but we were certainly there or thereabouts Prozac is the man for this usually.

Had notts county just come up?? Did they have a striker called allsop or something?? When gary kelly went to kick it out blocked it and rolled it in chaddy ?? Stuffed us 3-1 I think.

Or I have imagined the whole thing lol.

Had notts county just come up?? Did they have a striker called allsop or something?? When gary kelly went to kick it out blocked it and rolled it in chaddy ?? Stuffed us 3-1 I think.

Or I have imagined the whole thing lol.

That's the one I can't believe that first goal was given. Notts County had indeed just come up and were managed by Sam Alladyce at the time. Notts County did have Danny Allsop playing for them at 1 point I think this was later than 98-99 A player who we were linked with when Moore was splashing the cash. Edited by GlossopLatic