Stating the Blindingly Obvious?

Guest nonaenever

Guest nonaenever

Was at Bradford yesterday - and following on from the rest of the season does anyone disagree with :-

Need a new goalkeeper who will inspire confidence in the defence and command his area.

Two centre halves (one may do for now) - although Brian Wilson looks an infinitely better player at CH than he does at full back, his lack of height and physical prowess will unfortunately let him down. Put a brute beside him for now though and we will look a lot more solid, with a view to getting a second CH to follow (James Wilson, for me, just too "soft" - get rid).

A centre forward who can at least hold up the ball and relieve some pressure on the midfield/defence when needed. This is one of our biggest problems. No sooner do we have some neat midfield play to get the ball to the forwards - but they then lose it and we are straight under pressure again. Our forwards (and most of the team) also have an inability to be any sort of threat in set pieces/corners either - so we even end up being under pressure from them! Oh - one that chips in with a few goals would also be useful. Cassidy is proving to be very poor, wins about 5% of his aerial battles and poses very little general threat. Doesn't look as though he has more than a handful of goals in him over a full season.

I`ll probably be slated for saying this bit though - if we DO have an opportunity to sell Forte in the window - do so - he's never going to do more than half a season at best (I`m sure other clubs will realise that) and for me is a bit one dimensional. We need money to invest better elsewhere for the greater good in my humble opinion.

Please - somebody buy our Welsh international James Wilson!

If he's gonna play 5-3-2 we need a keeper a centre back and a striker minimum.

Have the full backs, the midfield and one of the strikers. Think a combination of two of the centre backs will suffice, as long as we bring in another defender to put in the middle of the 3.

If he's gonna play 5-3-2 we need a keeper a centre back and a striker minimum.

Have the full backs, the midfield and one of the strikers. Think a combination of two of the centre backs will suffice, as long as we bring in another defender to put in the middle of the 3.

I think that the 3-5-2 is basically covering for a lack of quality in midfield so I hope we sign a winger/midfielder together with a beast at C/H!

4-4-2 Shez says! Its not as if we are awash with funds really

Come back Chris Taylor, now is your time-and Blackburn arent playing him

Edited by ChaddySmoker

I think that the 3-5-2 is basically covering for a lack of quality in midfield so I hope we sign a winger/midfielder together with a beast at C/H!

He never said 4-4-2, he only said two up front, which he stuck to yesterday even after a red card.

Whether you like Winchester or not, he's sufficient in a League 1 midfield. With Forte on the wing it's a reasonably strong one at that.

Striker, keeper and a defender. Yeah, might be useful to reinforce the midfield but it's not priority when we have other glaring issues.

He never said 4-4-2, he only said two up front, which he stuck to yesterday even after a red card.

Whether you like Winchester or not, he's sufficient in a League 1 midfield. With Forte on the wing it's a reasonably strong one at that.

Striker, keeper and a defender. Yeah, might be useful to reinforce the midfield but it's not priority when we have other glaring issues.

OK Sorry I was quoting someone else with the 4-4-2.

Midfield is the glaring issue!

I had a quick (well not so quick) look on the Bradford forum and they reckon that we are garbage-if we had a decent midfield they wouldnt be saying that-they would be saying powder puff up front and dodgy at the back.

There has not been a single game this season where I have thought that we were significantly the better team as whatever midfield we have picked (and I include Danny P in that) there has never been enough cover for the defence and/or penetration in wide areas! Danny P made up a little with his Goals

You seem to defend Winchester to the hilt and think that I did the same with Danny P-whereas all I ever said was that he was better than Winchester!

We are still left with the same 2 problems that we had at the beggining of the season-A big strong tackling C/B and a wide creative midfielder!

Edited by ChaddySmoker

Guest nonaenever

I tend to agree with those talking about midfield actually. We do flatter to deceive sometimes - i.e. lots of little passes with no end result from midfield. Ignoring the over-acting 17 of theirs, I have to say whenever they got it to their 2 wide players either side - they looked very menacing. If their 2 wide men had the ability to deliver telling crosses (they were generally overhit) it could have been 3 or 4 nil really. Yes, there's a lot of work to do in order to re-shape the side. I`ve been resigned to us going down for a while now - I can't believe I am saying I`m not actually that bothered - because I do feel we will re-build IF we stick with Shez through thin and thin for a while. I know it's a risk but a side fighting for promotion from division 4 will attract a lot more support than the absolute hard-core 3,000 we are dwindling to at the moment.

Having said that, I urge all Latics fans to drag someone along on Saturday that hasn't been for a while. I`ve told the missus she has no choice (!) - she is coming to the Bury game. Would be great to have a fantastic welcome for Shez at BP - break the home curse and beat Bury - would give us a tiny glimmer of hope of avoiding the drop but I personally think it's going to be very, very difficult indeed to do so.

OK Sorry I was quoting someone else with the 4-4-2.

Midfield is the glaring issue!

I had a quick (well not so quick) look on the Bradford forum and they reckon that we are garbage-if we had a decent midfield they wouldnt be saying that-they would be saying powder puff up front and dodgy at the back.

There has not been a single game this season where I have thought that we were significantly the better team as whatever midfield we have picked (and I include Danny P in that) there has never been enough cover for the defence and/or penetration in wide areas! Danny P made up a little with his Goals

You seem to defend Winchester to the hilt and think that I did the same with Danny P-whereas all I ever said was that he was better than Winchester!

We are still left with the same 2 problems that we had at the beggining of the season-A big strong tackling C/B and a wide creative midfielder!

Don't worry too much, you were quoting the official site, it's just that it was wrongly stated. AS others have said he said two up top.

He also was quoted as saying he'd had a 20 goal season striker every season, when he he said every club.

Not top notch reporting by our webby person.

They're paying him though, which we cant do!