Loan window

We have always been a bit of a home for the unloved, broken, hidden potential.

In fact when we have gone out for the (albeit at our level) marquee signings they have not been that successful.

Has the attributes to be successful, which is positive.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not being funny, but what is the basis you think him a decent signing? We're in deep stuff and need proven not gambles.

The talk this morning was of another striker coming in before Tuesday as well.

Perhaps he will be an experienced forward. Regardless, we're in the position now where we might have to take a bit of a gamble on a couple of players.

Not being funny, but what is the basis you think him a decent signing? We're in deep stuff and need proven not gambles.

It wasn't that long ago a 20 year old loanee midfielder from Burton wasn't what we needed. Until it turned out he was.

Was reading an article about Lee Gregory at Millwall who has scored a few this season and Gregory mentioned that he and Vardy when at Halifax were banging in the goals together.

I seem to recall on here way back then that a few posters were recommending the two of the them to the board. I know SC was looking at Vardy but put off with the £100k price tag before Vardy went to Fleetwood. Did we do similar with Gregory?

Had we signed both I'm sure with the strikers graveyard at BP both would now be stacking shelves at Tescos whilst playing part time in the Northern League rather than one playing for England taking the country by storm and the other amongst the leading scorers for Millwall.

Edited by Midsblue

Was reading an article about Lee Gregory at Millwall who has scored a few this season and Gregory mentioned that he and Vardy when at Halifax were banging in the goals together.

I seem to recall on here way back then that a few posters were recommending the two of the them to the board. I know SC was looking at Vardy but put off with the £100k price tag before Vardy went to Fleetwood. Did we do similar with Gregory?

Had we signed both I'm sure with the strikers graveyard at BP both would now be stacking shelves at Tescos whilst playing part time in the Northern League rather than one playing for England taking the country by storm and the other amongst the leading scorers for Millwall.

It was said Paul Murray thought Gregory wasn't better than we had got at the time and Paul Dickov watched Vardy 6 times, but the fee asked was too high.

Edited by BP1960

A few comments from the Wycombe forum:

"Hmmmm. Holloway, Holloway, Holloway. Clearly a player with a great talent but I think he is more like to self destruct than to influence those around him. DM twitter feed was always about him livin' the dream as a top footballer. I see AAH as a player filled with self-doubt and lacking confidence rather than the opposite. Almost Heskey-esque. I may be completely wrong of course. I would love to see the guy function at the top of his potential but think he will be the victim of his own demons."

"Holloway has all the attributes - height, strength, pace, ability on the ball and a good shot. But there just seems to be something missing. It could be self-belief, although he seems to think he should be in the team so it might not be that. Maybe it's related to being a defender turned forward, and he lacks experience of playing up front competitively and the nous that comes along with it.

He's still young so he has plenty of time to get it right. But I'm not sure Wycombe is going to be the place where it happens."

"A friend of mine is a big Bristol City fan, and when we signed Holloway he alluded to the fact that his "big-time Charlie" attitude was one of the driving forces behind him not getting more of a chance there. I fear that after the praise he got at the back end of last season, those less desirable character traits may have come back to the fore. I hope I'm wrong for his sake and ours."

Rough Diamond? Certainly a gamble.

Sounds like jch

A few comments from the Wycombe forum:

"Hmmmm. Holloway, Holloway, Holloway. Clearly a player with a great talent but I think he is more like to self destruct than to influence those around him. DM twitter feed was always about him livin' the dream as a top footballer. I see AAH as a player filled with self-doubt and lacking confidence rather than the opposite. Almost Heskey-esque. I may be completely wrong of course. I would love to see the guy function at the top of his potential but think he will be the victim of his own demons."

"Holloway has all the attributes - height, strength, pace, ability on the ball and a good shot. But there just seems to be something missing. It could be self-belief, although he seems to think he should be in the team so it might not be that. Maybe it's related to being a defender turned forward, and he lacks experience of playing up front competitively and the nous that comes along with it.

He's still young so he has plenty of time to get it right. But I'm not sure Wycombe is going to be the place where it happens."

"A friend of mine is a big Bristol City fan, and when we signed Holloway he alluded to the fact that his "big-time Charlie" attitude was one of the driving forces behind him not getting more of a chance there. I fear that after the praise he got at the back end of last season, those less desirable character traits may have come back to the fore. I hope I'm wrong for his sake and ours."

Rough Diamond? Certainly a gamble.

Came across well in his Latics Player interview, seems to have his feet on the ground now so hopefully he will come good here.