Port Vale Forum Pre Match Interview / Report vrs Oldham

Hi,

I'm the pre-match reporter for the Port Vale Fans Forum One Vale Fan.

Part of my role is to contact fans of our forthcoming opponents to ask them a few questions and gain their views on the upcoming fixture between our sides in order to produce a report which we release on the site a couple of days prior to the game. Some of you kindly contributed to our reverse fixture article and I wondered if some posters would like to take part by answering some different questions.

I wondered if up to three of you have a few minutes and would kindly offer your feelings on the game by answering the following few questions;

1. Tell us a bit about yourself & history as a fan?

2. How are your team doing (current form and in relation to the expectation of fans at the start of the season)?

3. Where you think you will finish in terms of league position?

4. Who should we watch out for (one or more danger player/s)?

5. What are your thoughts on your manager?

6. What are your thoughts on your board & off field club activities?

7. Any views on the current Port Vale team & specific players?

8. Did you attend the reverse fixture earlier this season? If so what were your thoughts on the game?

9. Any views & memories of players / managers that have been involved with both teams?

10. A score prediction (and potential scorers for both sides)?

Please also feel free to include any other information you feel worthy and I will knock it into a report as per the example below regarding contribution from Wigan fans from a game with them;

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/site/2015/09/wigan-fans-the-jurys-out-on-manager-gary-caldwell/

To enable me to produce this in good time I need a reply by Saturday and the report should appear on the website a day or two before our fixture.

Please also let me know if you would like me to include your name on the article and if you are prepared to share one a photo of yourself we can utilise with the article.

Many thanks for your potential support in this matter.

Best Regards,

REP

I have supported Latics for 23 years. 20 of them have been consecutive years in this division. My doctor says I have Stockholm Syndrome but he doesn't understand the joys of Blackpool away on a rainy Tuesday in February.

2. How are your team doing (current form and in relation to the expectation of fans at the start of the season)?

We are better than Colchester. That is a low marker but it's been touch and go for a while. We appear to have 'turned the corner' of late and the only way is up. Hopefully.

We will stay up. Hopefully we can then put this cluster:censored: of a season behind us.

:censored: bloke from Burton is excellent. :censored: bloke from Wycombe is good and :censored: bloke from Doncaster seemed to be :censored: but was good on Saturday. Good blokes from Burnley are good. Don't worry about any of our own.

I like Manager 3. Manager 1 was poor and Manager 2 was an idiot. But Manager 3 is a good 'un.

:lol::

I don't know who you have. When the teams are read out, if I've heard of two of your players then the L1 General Rule is that you'll be good.

8. Did you attend the reverse fixture earlier this season? If so what were your thoughts on the game?

I didn't go to the reserve fixture as I had my Dyslexics Association meeting that night.

9. Any views & memories of players / managers that have been involved with both teams?

Adrian Littlejohn brutally assaulted Les Pogliacomi in 2003 costing us promotion. Never forgive, never forget.

2-0 to Latics. Dieng with both.

12-13 years a fan. Have enjoyed very little of it.

August - January was dreadful. Last few weeks have been better, significantly.

20th or higher will do.

Palmer in midfield is very tidy. Our strikers will run a lot and probably not score.

He was sent to us from heaven.

We're run by weapons, who are trying to get 100k from fans for an unnecessary scoreboard.

Wikipedia says you have Theo Robinson. He has an incredible knack of looking very threatening, without any end product.

I didn't go, but we had a clown in charge, and 7 of our starters that game won't play.

Zilch, sorry.

1-0. Forte.

I consider myself to be very evil, although not as evil as some of the football that has been on offer this year (and the last 18 years in fact).

Smashin' it!! Saying that most on here weren't exactly optimistic at the start of the season.......

19th - We're cursed to be in this league forever.

Our keeper Coleman is a danger player - couldn't save a word document....

The messiah - I have a shrine in my lair where I worship the man.

I've been really impressed with our boards numerous evil masterplans this last year. They're an inspiration to me.

Errrrrrr, no not really.

No, sadly I was busy at the time providing moral support for Mini-Me recording the advert for BGO. (A very traumatic time when a hard working villain is forced to appear in bingo adverts just to get by.)

Again, not really.

1-1, Anthony Gerrard to score a 40 yard screamer.

I have been a fan all my life. Currently well into the second half of a century.

Given the constant cost cutting and appointment of a spotty supermarket stacker as a manager and replacing him with a David Brent type manager we are were we deserve to be.

1 place above relegation - have you ever seen ground hog day? We supporters live it every season after season after season after ....

One of our strikers scoring a goal, we have been watching out for it all season, bound to happen soon

This weeks manager I presume you mean ....... He was a naughty boy but he is now the messiah

:laught30::titanic:

No

No - Currently serving time in a south seas penal colony

Yes - the very much underrated Ron Futcher. We got him for next to nowt, scored plenty of goals - his goal per game ratio has to be one of our best, then we let him go after nearly getting promotion to the old first division for bugger all money. Was slow but he knew where the net was. Great header of the ball IIRC

Jon Bowden - used to dislike him and could not understand what Joe Royle saw in him. Thankfully Royle got rid of this typically average player and replaced him with players who had flair and so started the glory years.

No - But you can guarantee it wont be a hat trick from our strikers! Usually we are way to cool for goal celebrations, they are like so last decade innit so we tend not to bother scoring at all.

Edited by Stagger Lee

As a kid, I used to watch Stockport on a Friday night and Man Utd on the Saturday. Or pay 10p to get on the 400 bus and head to Oldham, Rochdale, Bury or Bolton. Married an Oldham lass, had a kid, got skint, stopped going to football. Attended a £2 admission game at Boundary Park in 2006 and have been a season ticket holder since.

Some said we had the strongest squad in years. Subsequent evidence suggests that they were wrong. Current form is quite exciting. We've tried new things like passing the ball forwards. Crossing the ball into the penalty area. Shooting at the big netty thing. There are signs are that this radical approach might work.

20th. Which will do.

Carl Winchester can glide past everybody. A joy to watch. Matt Palmer is making an impact on loan, proving Burton's reserves are better than our strongest squad in years.

Legend. Although he messed up our last great chance of promotion. Don't mention the greyhounds.

Imbeciles. But at least we finished our stand. Well, pitch side we did.

I saw the infamous hand of Slaven goal in the 1993 Windscreen Wiper Cup final. Does he still play for you?

No. But I got excited when we won at your place last season. Or was that somewhere else?

I once wanted James Gannon to manage Latics. You must have fond memories.

We will beat you. 2-0. Forte and Main.

Fan of over 20 years, not from Oldham but I caught the bug from my dad who is.

Before the end of last season I thought we could do well this season if we got the right manager in place. We hired Darren Kelly which lowered my expectations to survival at best, then compounded the issue by converting David Dunn from a player to a manager. We now have an actual manager in place and our form is starting to pick up a bit.

21st. We've shown now that we'll battle, but the damage has already been done.

Jonathan Forte is still our biggest goal threat, although that doesn't say much as due to injuries he has 2 goals. Matt Palmer plays a similar way to how our current manager used to play, but he'll probably be back at Burton by the time we play you. Anthony Gerrard is starting to sort out our defence, but he'll probably be injured or suspended. Basically, every silver lining has a dark cloud.

My hero growing up. Possibly the only manager that we could hire to nearly make up for the previous rubbish. The most promising thing so far is that all the signings we've made so far have been underwhelming on paper (with the exception of Gerrard who we knew), yet have really added something to the team.

I'm fairly sure they aren't crooks due to the prior decade, but they have been so incompetent in 2015 that I did start to wonder.

I saw them at Exeter in the cup a few months ago. While it was possibly the best Exeter performance of the season, Vale looked outclassed and based on that I'm surprised to see them in the top half. Nobody really stood out as being good if I'm honest. Uche Ikpeazu was a tank though.

Nope sorry, Tuesday night from the South West to Port Vale is too far.

Don't think so. Chris Killen maybe? Not the happiest memory.

We'll see if we can stay unbeaten in the 2 games prior. If we do I could see us grinding out a 2-1 win. Forte and someone who isn't a striker to score.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Starting going in mid-80s with dad, uncles and grandad, starting with a wet 2-2 draw at home to Shrewsbury and was immediately hooked - who wouldn't be? Currently supporting from a distance, living in Scotland with young family and our mindblowingly :censored: home form limits my inclination to travel to games.

I thought we'd go down. I still do. But I'm more optimistic that we might escape, with John Sheridan in charge and recent form of 8 points from 4 games with only one goal conceded backs that up.

21st. A brave battle to survive with last-day-of-the-season heartbreak.

If Connor Brown is available, he could be a serious danger to Latics' chances of keeping a clean sheet and equally a danger to the Port Vale players' physical welfare. Based on recent form, Forte, Hollway, Main, Palmer, Kelly and Winchester could all cause problems but, should we revert back to the performances of the first half of the season, then you'll probably just need to worry about whether you can capitalise on one of the abundance of defensive errors to get the one goal you'll need to win.

Legend.

They're the real unsung heroes at Latics. They've done wonders for this club. I'm constantly in awe of their pioneering approach to running the club and the high regard in which they hold the fans. Barry Owen, who went from Chairman of the Supporters' Trust to club director, is my personal favourite, particularly If his solicitors are still monitoring this site.

*None of the above paragraph is true.

I've stopped paying attention to teams that far up the table.

I can't even remember the score. I'd remember if we'd won so I assume we either lost 1-0 or drew 1-1, as that covers most games earlier in the season.

The Bear!

1-0, Forte.