Nick Henry "goal"

indeed wasnt there an occasion during a game at OT that fergie wouldnt bring on giggs untill Flemming had been substituted think it was league cup game 1991 ?

At BP I thought, the 3-6 game on Boxing Day. Big Joe took Fleming off for an attacker & Taggart put Giggs on right away & they put the game out of reach.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At BP I thought, the 3-6 game on Boxing Day. Big Joe took Fleming off for an attacker & Taggart put Giggs on right away & they put the game out of reach.

Not on a par with Liverpool putting Suarez on to force Tarky back from controlling the game.

I'm going to chuck another name in Craig Fleming arguably the best man marker I've ever seen.

He put an on form Ryan Giggs in his pocket on multiple occasions, I saw Giggs tear Paulo Maldini a new one.

Indeed. I remember at one point in the 1-0 win at BP Ferguson moved Giggs to full back in the knowledge that Fleming would follow him and create gaps further forward. He did as well.

Wud of been nice to see that team had we kept Irwin and Redfearn and spent 500k on a young andy cole or an old peter Beardsley instead of Greame Sharp all ifs and buts though. How they both ended up dropped down a division

Why would we have spent 500k on Andy Cole? Nobody knew who he was until he starting scoring for Newcastle by which time they where passing us by. Beardsley wanted to go home so that was never happening either.

Redfearn could have stayed but he fell out with Joe as he was guaranteed a central role in midfield. He wouldn't stay and fight for it with Milligan & Henry.

Warhurst was a great replacement for Irwin, I'm not sure we could have got any better & all the back 4 from 1990 was broken up within 3 years anyway.

Edited by palmer1

Why would we have spent 500k on Andy Cole? Nobody knew who he was until he starting scoring for Newcastle by which time they where passing us by. Beardsley wanted to go home so that was never happening either.

Redfearn could have stayed but he fell out with Joe as he was guaranteed a central role in midfield. He wouldn't stay and fight for it with Milligan & Henry.

Warhurst was a great replacement for Irwin, I'm not sure we could have got any better & all the back 4 from 1990 was broken up within 3 years anyway.

Because that's how much he cost Bristol City in 1992 then went on to score 20 goals in 40 games that season before Newcastle forked out 1.75 million for him in 93. That's why! We spent that much on Mccarthy from 2 divisions down

Warhurst was in the same team as Irwin. Plus Irwin ad a good few years at left back for Man U well Paul parker played right.

Warhurst was in the same team as Irwin. Plus Irwin ad a good few years at left back for Man U well Paul parker played right.

Yes but Warhurst replaced him at right back & Irwin never would have played left back for us.

r.e Cole I got my time lines wrong so fair enough. Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing. 400k for a completely unknown striker? That will be why we didn't buy him. McCarthy had scored 70 plus at this point & went in to score plenty for us. He was a very good buy.

Yes but Warhurst replaced him at right back & Irwin never would have played left back for us.

r.e Cole I got my time lines wrong so fair enough. Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing. 400k for a completely unknown striker? That will be why we didn't buy him. McCarthy had scored 70 plus at this point & went in to score plenty for us. He was a very good buy.

292 games 104 goals before joined us less than less than 0.5 goals a game wasn't my cup of tea bar his goal at Old Trafford.

Any way il be in the Rifle Range tomorrow if any ones in there let us no

The striker we should have gone for and was strongly linked with was John Aldridge, knocked em in for for a good 5 years after returning from Spain in 1991 for our bogey team. Wasn't Irwin's RB spot split 3 ways in 90/91, Warhurst, Donachie and Gunnar?

The striker we should have gone for and was strongly linked with was John Aldridge, knocked em in for for a good 5 years after returning from Spain in 1991 for our bogey team. Wasn't Irwin's RB spot split 3 ways in 90/91, Warhurst, Donachie and Gunnar?

Apparently when Aldridge returned from Real Socidad to England he was training with us & wanted to sign but Joe thought he was to old to play at the top level. How wasnt immune to the odd mistake...

Donachie played if their was injuries but I think he only played a few games in 90/91 before retiring. Halle signed half way through the season & didn't really become a regular until Warhurst left for Shef Wed a year later. Halle gradually played further up the field as time went on. (Working off memory do timeline may be out)