Nick Henry "goal"

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a video of it, I can get a screenshot of it if you can't do it yourself but it wouldn't be very clear on account of the relatively poor quality of the film:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1as02r_oldham-athletic-v-man-utd-1990-fa-cup-replay-first-half_sport

17 minutes into the clip

Great memories. Modern goal line technology would have probably indicated that the ball didn't cross the line...but we'll never know for certain.

Great memories. Modern goal line technology would have probably indicated that the ball didn't cross the line...but we'll never know for certain.

Certainly wasn't clear cut, I hear stories about how far over the line and obvious it was, it's not. Not as obvious as many other examples you could think of (Lampard in the World Cup). Today I think it possibly was in, last time I saw it I didn't, but you could call it either way...

Certainly wasn't clear cut, I hear stories about how far over the line and obvious it was, it's not. Not as obvious as many other examples you could think of (Lampard in the World Cup). Today I think it possibly was in, last time I saw it I didn't, but you could call it either way...

#BlockedAndReported

I've seen clearer pictures and there wasn't the slightest doubt it was over the line. None whatsoever.

I was there,very unwell, and had no idea if it was in or not. Seen footage of it for the first time tonight and cant believe how far over the line it was - it hit the post on the way back out!!!

What I do remember from that time is how well known it was that Joe Worrall (Salford) was a united fan and if you see his positioning, it's perfect and his reaction to signal no goal is just a little too quick in my opinion. Glory days.

Just watched the match again (first half and extra time - couldn't find second half):

1) there was very little backchat at the ref

2) there was no play acting by the players

3) there was no trying to con the ref

4) players didn't fall over at the slightest touch

5) Barry Davies was a great football commentator and knew when to shut up (take note Jonathan Pearce)

Great memories and a good hours viewing but it's all about the now and our support for the current team I guess.

Well; I swear that I saw it hit the roof of the net, roll down to the far corner, nestled itself under Leighton's towel for a good eleven minutes before bouncing out again

And I remember during that 11 mins the ball spent under the towel in the back of the net Fegie gave Joe Worrall a brown envelope, the first recorded instance of fergie time, before play resumed without the goal being awarded.

but of course that memory may be suspect due to the knock on the head I suffered during the celebration - it's all very vague now :huh:

Edited by Stagger Lee

but of course that memory may be suspect due to the knock on the head I suffered during the celebration - it's all very vague now :huh:

That's OK. It happens to all those folk South of Queensland :)

Which reminds me; when I became an Australian citizen in 2007, I needed half of my brain removing as part of the naturalisation process just to fit in. Yorkshire folk are still waiting for donors...

Edited by L1onheartNew

These half time replays put this to bed. Jimmy Hill noticed Leighton's fingertip save but not the fact that it went in.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1aslcx_oldham-athletic-v-man-utd-1990-fa-cup-replay-second-half_sport

The ref was in a perfect position to see it too.

I knew I shouldn't have watched it. Now I have spent the whole afternoon watching most of the Latics videos on Daily motion.

Edit: Des's incredulous look as he listened to Jimmy's "well, I'm not mentioning it, I am on thin ice as it is; what, with all the rumours and all" crappy punditry was enough to suggest that it was a goal

Edited by L1onheartNew

And I remember during that 11 mins the ball spent under the towel in the back of the net Fegie gave Joe Worrall a brown envelope, the first recorded instance of fergie time, before play resumed without the goal being awarded.

While Kaiser Wilheim II munched a bratwurst and chortled about starting the Great War to scupper Latics earlier march to glory

These half time replays put this to bed. Jimmy Hill noticed Leighton's fingertip save but not the fact that it went in.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1aslcx_oldham-athletic-v-man-utd-1990-fa-cup-replay-second-half_sport

The ref was in a perfect position to see it too.

When Jimmy Hill said "Mark Hughes can be the difference " he was just four years too soon....aaagh

The replay was just as exciting, although it proved to be controversial. Brian McClair gave United a second half lead before Andy Ritchie stunned his old side with an equalizer ten minutes from time. Sadly for the Latics there was to be no fairytale ending and Mark Robins, born in nearby Ashton-under-Lyne, a man who was to prove to be the club's nemesis over the years, scored a winner late in extra time for the Manchester side. However, it was later proven on subsequent TV replays that a Nick Henry effort in the first half had clearly crossed the line, but referee Joe Worrall, himself a United season ticket holder, failed to award the goal.

From wiki