Nick Henry "goal"

These half time replays put this to bed. Jimmy Hill noticed Leighton's fingertip save but not the fact that it went in.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1aslcx_oldham-athletic-v-man-utd-1990-fa-cup-replay-second-half_sport

The ref was in a perfect position to see it too.

:censored: me Earl Barrett was good!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:censored: me Earl Barrett was good!

Pre back pass rule.... as good as anyone....!

Having said that, we had one who was even better in Ian Marshall. Maybe not quite as fast as Earl, but still quick. Technically better [back pass rule wasn't a problem to Marshy], better in the air and knew where the net was. Just a shame that he didn't want to play at centre half anymore.

Letting Marshall and Redfearn leave were - for me - two (of very few) mistakes Sir Joe made.

Edited by lookersstandandy

Having said that, we had one who was even better in Ian Marshall. Maybe not quite as fast as Earl, but still quick. Technically better [back pass rule wasn't a problem to Marshy], better in the air and knew where the net was. Just a shame that he didn't want to play at centre half anymore.

Letting Marshall and Redfearn leave were - for me - two (of very few) mistakes Sir Joe made.

I know its all about opinions Andy, but for me Earl was the better of the 2. But they were both 2nd best to Jobbo.

I think just watching him on that clip particularly how well he read the game his recovery pace helped him massively.

But their is one moment in the first half where a ball is played short and Barrett beats the United player to the ball leaves him on his arse and makes him look like and absolute mug would easily be worth £15 million today.

didnt marshall win the anual sprint contest at latics several years on the bounce deceptivley fast due to his size and build

I think just watching him on that clip particularly how well he read the game his recovery pace helped him massively.

But their is one moment in the first half where a ball is played short and Barrett beats the United player to the ball leaves him on his arse and makes him look like and absolute mug would easily be worth £15 million today.

....and the rest, he was worth £1.75m in 1992 when a British player being purchased by a British club hadn't reached £3m.... That came in 1993 when Blackburn bought Alan Shearer from Southampton.

We played Man Yoo away in the League Cup in 91/92 and I can remember Barrett having Mark Hughes in his top pocket all game.... Hughes would back into Earl who just took a step back/sideways, let him fall over and then take the ball off him with ease.

This was also the first time that I saw Andrei Kanchelskis terrorise us.

I'd order them, Marshall, Barrett, Jobson.... but I think we're splitting hairs. They were all excellent.

I'd put Warhurst above them all. I don't think I've ever seen a more naturally talented player for us (bar Alan Groves, obviously!)

I know its all about opinions Andy, but for me Earl was the better of the 2. But they were both 2nd best to Jobbo.

As good as Jobbo was he wasn't in the class of Barrett and Warhurst....Marshy was a one off and could play anywhere he fancied!!

Three words: what a team!

Collectively, there wasn't a weakness. Even with the reserves, anyone could slot in without disruption. No one feigned injury and everyone gave their all for the badge.

It was an absolute joy to be an Oldham fan Back then. I feel sorry for you youngsters who were not around at the time! Edited by TheBigDog

As good as Jobbo was he wasn't in the class of Barrett and Warhurst....Marshy was a one off and could play anywhere he fancied!!

I'm with you on this was gutted when Joe split the warhurst Barrett partnership I never quite got jobo. Agree with the Redfearn thing always bugged me too as didn't get milligan either.

What I think is surprising is that the commentators and pundits barely discuss whether it crossed the line or not. Given it was a close call it seems odd.

Watching it again the ball is clearly at least partially over the line, but as stated it has to be the whole ball, and it isn't possible to be sure based on the quality of the pictures and the angle of the TV camera - it could be like the one in the North London derby recently, that the technology showed was a few millimetres away from being a goal.

But to echo others on here - what a team, and what a time to be an Oldham supporter. Feel blessed to have been around at that time, and that summer England had the best World Cup of my lifetime - football seemed to bring me a lot of joy for a few years.

I'd order them, Marshall, Barrett, Jobson.... but I think we're splitting hairs. They were all excellent.

We had some brilliant defenders between 1986 and 1994, but we always seemed to leak goals for fun didn't we? Balanced by scoring shedloads scored at the other end.

We had some brilliant defenders between 1986 and 1994, but we always seemed to leak goals for fun didn't we? Balanced by scoring shedloads scored at the other end.

It wasn't the quality of the players but the manner of the way we played that we conceded a fair number of goals.

Remember watching the Sky coverage of a home game against Everton. 1 up in stoppage time and we get a corner, and there is a potential 3 on 1 break on the half way line if we lost possession - the commentator was amazed that we will still loaded the box looking for a second goal.

I loved it.

I'm with you on this was gutted when Joe split the warhurst Barrett partnership I never quite got jobo. Agree with the Redfearn thing always bugged me too as didn't get milligan either.

All about opinions but in mine Jobson was by far and away the best defender of the lot. Barrett and Jobson the perfect centre back pairing.

I'm going to chuck another name in Craig Fleming arguably the best man marker I've ever seen.

He put an on form Ryan Giggs in his pocket on multiple occasions, I saw Giggs tear Paulo Maldini a new one.

indeed wasnt there an occasion during a game at OT that fergie wouldnt bring on giggs untill Flemming had been substituted think it was league cup game 1991 ?