Well done sir

Well whoever put up the sign in Lees denoting the boundary edge between Yorks and Lancs (the County Palatines rather than any administrative niceties) knew what they were doing

Agreed about the sign though should point out that only Lancashire and Durham have county palatine status. Yorkshire just a bog standard, run of the mill, humdrum county

http://www.forl.co.uk/online-resources/lancashire-county-palatine

Edited by LaticsPete

Well whoever put up the sign in Lees denoting the boundary edge between Yorks and Lancs (the County Palatines rather than any administrative niceties) knew what they were doing

yes - some councillor trying to get a few votes from the sad sad deniers. But as long as they pay the rates to OMBC then I guess we should smile knowing how much it hurts them.

:comeon:

Saddleworth is a bit of a no mans land.

It was for a long time part of Yorkshire and if you were born in that time, or raised by people that were then it's understandable that there is a sense of loyalty to t'other side of the hills.

Having lived on the "wrong" side for over 20 years you do have to admire the strength of the sense of identity they have - no matter how misguided it is :-)

It's not dissimilar to feeling Lancastrian and not Greater Mancunian. Except that moving from White to Red is probably worse in that is was a transfer to the old enemy.

However to any Saddleworth residents (and I have family there, a Lancastrian sister and a Yorkshire brother-in-law) I ask a simple question:

Who empties your bins?

Having been a resident over here for a while one factor is that most of the locals support equally crap football teams.

Therefore football conversations at work tend to be about League One or at best the Championship, and not surrounded by loads of big headed City/United fans. And given Leeds' plight recently, they tend to be fairly quite and unusually self-deprecating.

Makes for good office banter.

If fact I recall after a weekend where Latics had smashed 4 past a hapless Huddersfield team I checked all the other local scores to know who to mock on Monday morning. A quick run down the results discovers that every Yorkshire league team had lost.

An email entitled "The Golden Era of Yorkshire Football" was circulated to every football fan I knew at work with a list of the weekends results, with ours in bold, font size 18. That was a good day at the office :-)

It was for a long time part of Yorkshire and if you were born in that time, or raised by people that were then it's understandable that there is a sense of loyalty to t'other side of the hills.

Having lived on the "wrong" side for over 20 years you do have to admire the strength of the sense of identity they have - no matter how misguided it is :-)

It's not dissimilar to feeling Lancastrian and not Greater Mancunian. Except that moving from White to Red is probably worse in that is was a transfer to the old enemy.

However to any Saddleworth residents (and I have family there, a Lancastrian sister and a Yorkshire brother-in-law) I ask a simple question:

Who empties your bins?

I was in a pub in Uppermill the other week with flags with the white rose on outside and loads of United memorabilia all over the walls inside.

A confused bunch aren't they..

I was in a pub in Uppermill the other week with flags with the white rose on outside and loads of United memorabilia all over the walls inside.

A confused bunch aren't they..

They must be, they're a bit close to Manchester to have United memorabilia.

Who empties your bins?

That's easy, the Yorkshire Brother in Law. He will be trained