Robinson's legacy

I think it's somewhat unfair to point the blame squarely at Robinson.

He is clearly a man who is either not cut out for, or at least not ready for, management. However, as others have pointed out, O'Driscoll was brought in as a Director of Football with the responsibility of identifying new players.

Ripley and Clarke were signed and would probably get in most teams in this division. Dummigan has been a disappointment but you'd have struggled to find a Latics fan who didn't want to see him back. He was clearly given a very small budget to build a squad when you look at the calibre of players signed and the short-term contracts given to the vast majority of them and this appears to have now been increased, given the signings of Gerrard and Holloway.

Sacking him was the right thing to do but the players let him down too. I'm glad we've made the change and can try and reignite some sort of effort to avoid relegation but the legacy of the first half of the season shouldn't be put in Robinson's name alone.

Is totally forgotten about O'Driscoll until he got mentioned in this thread. Surely we can save money there and ditch him now we have an experienced manager at the helm

I took Corney's comments a while ago to mean that we were no longer paying him but that he was happy to have a chat if Ronbinson wanted to.

I think it's somewhat unfair to point the blame squarely at Robinson.

He is clearly a man who is either not cut out for, or at least not ready for, management. However, as others have pointed out O'Driscoll was brought in as a Director of Football with the responsibility of identifying new players.

Ripley and Clarke were signed and would probably get in most teams in this division. Dummigan has been a disappointment but you'd have struggled to find a Latics fan who didn't want to see him back. He was clearly given a very small budget to build a squad when you look at the calibre of players signed and the short-term contracts given to the vast majority of them and this appears to have now been increased, given the signings of Gerrard and Holloway.

Sacking him was the right thing to do but the players let him down too. I'm glad we've made the change and can try and reignite some sort of effort to avoid relegation but the legacy of the first half of the season shouldn't be put in Robinson's name alone.

Exactly this.

He identified a lot of things that the club was lacking to be a 'proper' football club (behind the scenes set up, the kind of stuff to attract fickle players etc.), just couldn't identify what was going wrong on the pitch and be honest about it.

I took Corney's comments a while ago to mean that we were no longer paying him but that he was happy to have a chat if Ronbinson wanted to.

I thought that too. But I was in Belfast the week before Christmas and picked up a copy of the Belfast Telegraph in the hotel bar. It had a big article on our performance analyst, Conor Marlin, in which he mentioned that he reported to O'Driscoll. I found that quite strange, even with Robinson still in position.

Don't disagree, but in hindsight SR should have weighed up his options properly. Instead he panicked and signed any old :censored:. Being :censored: is nothing new. 12 goals in 24 games is pathetic even by our dwindling standards.

Steve Robinson was one of the worst possible appointments this club could have made back then with his painfully depressing N.Ire/Euros outlook...how on earth he still had people supporting him by the end, I've no idea.

I know Corney is partial to a signing or two given the amount of agents he is mates with BUT

Ripley - Ex Motherwell

Law - Ex Motherwell

Reckord - Knew of him in Scotland

Erwin - Ex Motherwell

McKay - Ex Motherwell

Dunne

Osei

Fane

McLaughlin - NI

Dummigan - NI (Corney aware of him too)

Ladapo - waited all Summer for him

Flynn

Green

Clarke (Corney Signing for me)

Croft

Burgess

Banks

Kettings

Jahraldo Martin

Klok

Woodland

Vast majority for me were SR's signings

Don't forget he offered the deals to Croft and Winchester so that makes those two players his.

Steve Robinson was one of the worst possible appointments this club could have made back then with his painfully depressing N.Ire/Euros outlook...how on earth he still had people supporting him by the end, I've no idea.

All spoken with the best possible hindsight of course.

All spoken with the best possible hindsight of course.

Yes...you would love to push that. Actually not true though. Hindsight had :censored: all to do with it...just very shoddy tactics, man-management, decisions (like spunking cash on Croft etc,) :censored: like "best man out of possession." Ask Lee Sinnott on here. He'll confirm that I said Robbo would be a disaster from very early on in his tenure (in the William Hill before the Bury game infact.) It took until the Lincoln game for me to finally call for his head. I gave him longer than most would given I had not an iota of faith in what he was "trying" to do. It didn't need hindsight. Just eyes.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Guest nonaenever

I tend to agree with bb80's view on this. It was pretty evident from quite early on (I was saying it after Bradford away) that players were regressing under Robbo. He wasn't cut out to be a manager. He was given an awful lot of latitude by the fans simply because of what he came into; in fact I never witnessed him being barracked by the supporters. He was too one dimensional - constantly going on about "work ethic". I suspect that the players were "run into the ground" whilst training because the majority of them looked totally knackered for the last 10 or 15 minutes of a game. Shez alluded to similar in a recent comment when he said something like the players didn't have to "get 15 miles under their belt each game". In other words, success is about far more than just work ethic; talent, a good footballing brain, tactics and good management comes into the equation too.

By all accounts, Robbo was a really nice fellow and I don't think anyone would wish him anything but good luck going forward. There will always be those who will say he should have been given "the window". I think that would have sounded the death knell for us in this division, with regular sub 3,000 "home" support for the rest of the season.

I am split on SR.

On simple statistics he looks like one of the worst managers we have had for a long time: bottom of the table, terrible goal scoring record etc

But on the flip side, he came across OK and I think everyone needs time to get their feet in a new job. Ideally you get that with an established team underneath you - he did not (arguably SC's mistake).

Some of the football - the last home game was better than JS's first two in terms of football - was OK, and more enjoyable to watch than some more experienced managers have served up.

In different circumstances I think SR could (and may yet) have been a good appointment...but he was definitely the wrong man at the wrong time.

However I look back more favourably on him than I do on - Darren Kelly, David Dunne, Dean Holden (only temporary but still)...

Early on is fair enough but claiming you knew when appointment was made is nonsense.

If I'm honest, I don't actually remember making the claim from the very start but what I did say from the start was his NI way outlook would be a disaster (fans cry at 1 upfront endlessly) and claims his football would bring the fans through the gate were a joke. I also found peoples claims that he was "a man with a plan" bizarre and saw little plan of any substance except to bore the :censored: out of everyone and everything. Anyway...