Robinson's legacy

The penny dropped for me yesterday.

He's left us with a squad of bottle merchants, scared of the ball. Scared to make a forward pass, Scared to make a forward run and scared to shoot.

His excuse was he had two weeks to get a squad together for the first friendly. It was a FRIENDLY, play kids and trial lists. That's what we did in 2003. Instead he panicked and signed players he knew and players he took a complete punt on.

Go back to 2003, we were playing non-contract players and triallists until the end of August, yet we went on a cracking unbeaten run. Dowie for all his faults took his time and got it right by waiting for his loanees (Zola, Hudson et al).

Yesterday's line up.

Ripley - Excellent goalkeeper, thankfully can't be coached not to pass forward.

Wilson - Steady does what he does

Gerrard - Ok, understandably rusty

Clarke - Pulled all over the place by Ladapo

Dummigan - :censored: scared of the ball

Flynn - Looks ok for 20 minutes and disappears

Fane - Headless chicken

Law - Anonymous

McLaughlin - A :censored:ing bottle merchant

Ngoo - Breath of fresh air for 20 minutes then disappeared

McKay - Won't score a goal as long as I have a hole in my arse

That's what we're left with, Shez will try his best but we haven't the collective balls to have a go. Too many of that line up have resigned themselves to relegation. Imho we're three or four players short. You can blame budgets, you can blame Corney (and I do) but the squad Robinson put together wasn't fit for purpose. Given the position we're in he could have conceded August (and most years we do by being well short come opening day) by ensuring he had a proper look at players. He overloaded the squad with :censored: full backs and no left footed players, we will go down this season and his cluelessness is the reason why. 13 goals in 26 games. Cheers Stephen, burn your :censored:ing clipboard mate and go and work in Tesco.

Last season we had a core of players:-

Jones

Kelly

Winchester

Wilson

Forte

Dieng

This year we haven't, I can see Shez's point in getting some balls up front but with no one to play off them the goal drought will continue.

His excuse was he had two weeks to get a squad together for the first friendly. It was a FRIENDLY, play kids and trial lists. That's what we did in 2003. Instead he panicked and signed players he knew and players he took a complete punt on.

Go back to 2003, we were playing non-contract players and triallists until the end of August, yet we went on a cracking unbeaten run. Dowie for all his faults took his time and got it right by waiting for his loanees (Zola, Hudson et al).

That was exactly my point a couple of weeks ago.

We didn't really need to have a full team together for the opening day, let alone the first friendly. Would we have really done any worse in the opening month playing the kids than we did with the rabble he signed?

It was a difficult situation to come in to but they completely panicked. He should have been patient and used the full window to try and get better quality players. If we'd have lost every game in August then so be it, it's a long old season (as shown by us somehow still being in touch with those above) but the trouble is, his joke signings have left us in dire straights for the second half of the season, when it really matters.

It's all part of the cluster :censored: that's becoming Corneys legacy.

Don't disagree, but in hindsight SR should have weighed up his options properly. Instead he panicked and signed any old :censored:. Being :censored: is nothing new. 12 goals in 24 games is pathetic even by our dwindling standards.

Give him a couple of the signings he made on his first day.

Would this team have been the end of the world for a friendly or two? Any worse than the teams we put out in 2003 with players like Wheatcroft?

Ripley

Wilson

Edmundson

Stott

Brown

Mantack

Winchester

Law

Croft

Cassidy

Glackin

Worst I've probably ever seen for collective shyness was Southend. Every player in that side hid from the ball and we hardly got past the halfway line for that reason.

Prozac is right in that we need some players with bottle and bollocks. Somebody to galvanise the attackers.

Reckon Ngoo's nature of getting himself about and desperately seeking the ball will be handy - it rubbed off really well with Flynn first half. He'll make us a better team.

However one player that can do that from midfield and attack isn't enough. We need a leader in midfield too: a forward thinking midfielder. Think he expected Green to be that man, but he clearly hasn't. A leader through example required.

It was stated that we had numerous players lined up before any managerial appointment.

Much as I'm pleased he's gone, he might not have signed that many himself.

I know Corney is partial to a signing or two given the amount of agents he is mates with BUT

Ripley - Ex Motherwell

Law - Ex Motherwell

Reckord - Knew of him in Scotland

Erwin - Ex Motherwell

McKay - Ex Motherwell

Dunne

Osei

Fane

McLaughlin - NI

Dummigan - NI (Corney aware of him too)

Ladapo - waited all Summer for him

Flynn

Green

Clarke (Corney Signing for me)

Croft

Burgess

Banks

Kettings

Jahraldo Martin

Klok

Woodland

Vast majority for me were SR's signings

Some fair points here about Robinson's team but wasn't there a vastly experienced support team behind him supposedly vetting these players for their suitability in League 1?

And with no money to pay decent wages. Surely you have to take into account are we even paying any wages for McKay and Erwin?

All of a sudden, money has been made available half way through January, but only after Robbo was sacked. The bloke never stood a chance.

It was stated that we had numerous players lined up before any managerial appointment.

Much as I'm pleased he's gone, he might not have signed that many himself.

Still continuing too, likely Holloway and Gerrard are both Corney signings. Ngoo sounds like the deal was sorted a while ago so Shez wouldn't have had any say in that either.

Hopefully one of the 100s of questions sent through to nnn for Tuesday night covers who exactly is in charge of the signings at BP.

Ah yes, I like your thinking here. We play the first month of the season with Connor Brown and Jake Cassidy up front, Carl Winchester in the net and Brian Wilson at centre half and a load of kids in the other positions. Latics fans won't be moaning about that when we end up losing every game about 10-0. I suggest you email Simon with that suggestion for next season...we could save a few more quid.

As opposed to the set of jokers we rushed to sign instead...?

Robinson was rushed but he choose many crap players and was clueless in managing or improving them and put out loads of boring teams with no idea on how to score.He also wasted time on the likes of Burgess. I have seen enough now of Erwin and McKay and both can go for me along with the likes of Banks and Green.I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but this was supposedly someone with loads of contacts and astute.So glad he got sacked when he should have resigned for being piss poor

Shez will have to produce another miracle to get us out of the mess we have been left in by that clown. .

Guest nonaenever

Can you have a legacy after 6 months?

Definitely - in any walk of life. Within business, a bad manager can ruin a department almost completely within 6 months - and a poor key director can take a business down. Identifying it and rectifying it quickly is the only way to save the situation. Usually, in such situations, it's one or two key and experienced members of staff that keeps the "head above water" - if they go - you've pretty much had it.

Can't see why football would be much different (or being President of the most powerful country in the world!)

I know Corney is partial to a signing or two given the amount of agents he is mates with BUT

Ripley - Ex Motherwell

Law - Ex Motherwell

Reckord - Knew of him in Scotland

Erwin - Ex Motherwell

McKay - Ex Motherwell

Dunne

Osei

Fane

McLaughlin - NI

Dummigan - NI (Corney aware of him too)

Ladapo - waited all Summer for him

Flynn

Green

Clarke (Corney Signing for me)

Croft

Burgess

Banks

Kettings

Jahraldo Martin

Klok

Woodland

Vast majority for me were SR's

signings

Were they robinsons or o driscolls

Definitely - in any walk of life. Within business, a bad manager can ruin a department almost completely within 6 months - and a poor key director can take a business down. Identifying it and rectifying it quickly is the only way to save the situation. Usually, in such situations, it's one or two key and experienced members of staff that keeps the "head above water" - if they go - you've pretty much had it.

Can't see why football would be much different (or being President of the most powerful country in the world!)

There was no department for him to ruin. He had to set one up from scratch in 5 minutes. He got some right, he got some wrong.

I'm glad we've got Shez in charge, don't get me wrong (he's our chance of a Keith Hill scenario), but Robinson got dealt a :censored:ty hand and wasn't given the opportunity to fix his own mistakes.

Guest nonaenever

There was no department for him to ruin. He had to set one up from scratch in 5 minutes. He got some right, he got some wrong.

I'm glad we've got Shez in charge, don't get me wrong (he's our chance of a Keith Hill scenario), but Robinson got dealt a :censored:ty hand and wasn't given the opportunity to fix his own mistakes.

Fair point well made.

Is totally forgotten about O'Driscoll until he got mentioned in this thread. Surely we can save money there and ditch him now we have an experienced manager at the helm

Probably already have.

Someone on the GMR phone in said at least twice "now O'Driscoll has gone" (or words to that effect ) and Mark Moisley didn't reply that he hadn't