The keeper v Stalybridge

16 minutes ago, Chorlton_Latic said:

Lest we forget Sidney Schmeltz

Some Latics  manager thought him good enough to give him a contract, can't remember who that was?

Edited by BP1960

Just now, BP1960 said:

Not judging him on that, but will look to see if my gut feeling that he's going to be good is correct 

I didn't see him, so I'll go with your better judgement.  

As you've pointed out, 18 is very young for a goalkeeper only used to U21 football, but From Liverpool's point of view he's getting nowhere near their first team, so even if he came primarily as back up to push our eventual number 1, at least he's getting experience of being in match day squads, working hands on with a good coach like Carlo Nash etc so I don't think it should be a deal breaker that he should be first choice, not at that level with his relative experience.

Similar agreements have happened when in the past we've loaned the likes of Adam Ledgzins (sic), Kieran Westwood, and if I remember correctly, Sam Johnstone may have been with us for a short while, and it didn't do their careers much harm.  

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

He must have brought a few decent ones in?

4 minutes ago, RobOAFC said:

Don't forget JCH, Korey Smith, Harkins & Forte...

Yep, tongue was firmly in cheek.

It's almost as if all managers make hit and miss signings...

18 hours ago, BP1960 said:

They can, but the fact is Liverpool have invested a lot of money in him for a reason.

The reason being...they have a lot of money to throw about and waste if they get it wrong. 

Thought the lad looked alright in the first half but a bit unsure in the 2nd half. Games raise a players sharpness. Ain’t going to dismiss his potential after a kick about at Stalybridge. 

I do hope Shez has learnt a lot about signing up keepers in his time tho. His GK record at ours hasn’t been that good. 

7 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

The reason being...they have a lot of money to throw about and waste if they get it wrong. 

Thought the lad looked alright in the first half but a bit unsure in the 2nd half. Games raise a players sharpness. Ain’t going to dismiss his potential after a kick about at Stalybridge. 

I do hope Shez has learnt a lot about signing up keepers in his time tho. His GK record at ours hasn’t been that good. 

Carlo Nash would have some input though, wouldn't he?