The keeper v Stalybridge

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Yes I thought he did as well. He had an air about him of knowing what he was doing. Distribution from both hand and feet was excellent. Interesting he's playing for Liverpool u 23s on the videos you posted when he's 18.

i wonder if we have any serious chance of getting him and the reason he was playing was because we have no keeper now leatheren has gone after the queens shilling and he has turned up after a few phone calls last night. However I suppose Nash could have turned out in an emergency.

would we choose an 18 yo as our number 1 and is he big and commanding enoughfor league one at the moment?

well see but remember the name because I'll put a couple of quid on him playing at a very decent level in the next few years.

3 minutes ago, astottie said:

Yes I thought he did as well. He had an air about him of knowing what he was doing. Distribution from both hand and feet was excellent. Interesting he's playing for Liverpool u 23s on the videos you posted when he's 18.

i wonder if we have any serious chance of getting him and the reason he was playing was because we have no keeper now leatheren has gone after the queens shilling and he has turned up after a few phone calls last night. However I suppose Nash could have turned out in an emergency.

would we choose an 18 yo as our number 1 and is he big and commanding enoughfor league one at the moment?

well see but remember the name because I'll put a couple of quid on him playing at a very decent level in the next few years.

A quick Wiki search tells me he is one of 12 GKs at Liverpool over 16. Liverpool have 4 GKs in their first team squad, one of whom is u23, and isn't him. 

Liverpool haven't entered the Checkatrade, so their u23s will have less games than they might have had previously.

Given he is a GK and Liverpool may be on the lookout for another GK for the first team I can see him being available for loan. If he is available for loan we can get him, but it will depend on his wage and how much Liverpool are willing to cover.

If he plays well in the next few pre-season games, don't be surprised to see his signing announced.

A quick Wiki search tells me he is one of 12 GKs at Liverpool over 16

Doesn't this speak volumes about the game today. Not just hovering up local talent but spending to bring it in from elsewhere. £250k to keep on the shelf for a couple of years.

How many of these lads would have been available for smaller sides in times past?

25 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

A quick Wiki search tells me he is one of 12 GKs at Liverpool over 16

Doesn't this speak volumes about the game today. Not just hovering up local talent but spending to bring it in from elsewhere. £250k to keep on the shelf for a couple of years.

How many of these lads would have been available for smaller sides in times past?

can remmember a lad at my sons school in salford very good young GK was on our books and loving it then came the financial problems of the chriss moore era and he was pushed out due to downsizing of our youth set up .off he went to manure where he became a very small fish in a very big pool less one to one coaching and game time less chance to develope and progress so much so that within three years he had packed up football altogether and was completely disalusioned with football . sad realy but inevitable with tbe way the "buisness " of football operates now 

I don't think he'd be what we need unless we played Stalybridge every week. They hit the crossbar & post without him reacting to either & he seemed slow to react generally as well as being quiet throughout. If Liverpool loaned him out, I don't see how we could offer him first team football.

40 minutes ago, Twisbrogan said:

I don't think he'd be what we need unless we played Stalybridge every week. They hit the crossbar & post without him reacting to either & he seemed slow to react generally as well as being quiet throughout. If Liverpool loaned him out, I don't see how we could offer him first team football.

Have you checked out his reactions in the video? 

He's very highly rated at Liverpool.

My only reservation is at 18 yo is this too young for a full season in Division One?

I would agree there's no point in him being here to sit on the bench.

Edited by BP1960

29 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

My only reservation is at 18 yo is this too young for a full season in Division One?

The old video montage, you know better than to judge a player on that alone BP, before we get all giddy I'd of saved half of those without moving, didn't go today so can't really judge but you'd want to see him in against better before you passed judgement.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

I play Sunday league and I'd have had 95% of those myself no trouble. The other 5% I'd have been pissed off to concede. That video shows nothing really. Didn't have much to do today so I'll reserve judgement. 

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

The old video montage, you know better than to judge a player on that alone BP, before we get all giddy I'd of saved half of those without moving, didn't go today so can't really judge but you'd want to see him in against better before you passed judgement.

He's a prospect, that's how he stands 

at the moment.

37 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I play Sunday league and I'd have had 95% of those myself no trouble. The other 5% I'd have been pissed off to concede. That video shows nothing really. Didn't have much to do today so I'll reserve judgement. 

It's a shame Liverpool didn't see you in action, they paid £250,000 for that lad with it rising to £1.5 million.

9 hours ago, BP1960 said:

There are several videos of my 10 year old lad on YouTube that make him look better than Lev Yashin when, in all likelihood, he may not be. It's very easy to throw a package of 'best bits' together these days - he can even make them himself.

Edited by Twisbrogan

6 minutes ago, Twisbrogan said:

There are several videos of my 10 year old lad on YouTube that make him look better than Lev Yashin when, in all likelihood, he may not be. It's very easy to throw a package of 'best bits' together these days - he can even make them himself.

They can, but the fact is Liverpool have invested a lot of money in him for a reason.

Edited by BP1960

He made 1 o2 decent stops that's it. He had good distribution but he also looked shaky and not very imposing to me. He was hardly tested and let in a weak goal and one rolled past him that hit the post. 

Need to see him against better opposition to judge more, but I'm on the fence he is what we need to see us through a full season.

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

They can, but the fact is Liverpool have invested a lot of money in him for a reason.

Not commenting on the guy from yesterday as didn't see much of it, but I think that has much less value these days. Anyone even with a sniff of talent gets hoovered up by the top clubs at a young age. They only need 1 in 100 to pay off and win them something or be sold for £25 million. So it's probably a pure numbers game rather than talented scouts picking the diamond. 

12 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Not commenting on the guy from yesterday as didn't see much of it, but I think that has much less value these days. Anyone even with a sniff of talent gets hoovered up by the top clubs at a young age. They only need 1 in 100 to pay off and win them something or be sold for £25 million. So it's probably a pure numbers game rather than talented scouts picking the diamond. 

Even from my glimpes though I can see the lad is a talent most scouts would recommend developing.

I admit Division One at 18yo is a big ask, so we will see if Latics think he is up to it.

22 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Even from my glimpes though I can see the lad is a talent most scouts would recommend developing.

I admit Division One at 18yo is a big ask, so we will see if Latics think he is up to it.

Fair enough. Like I say I wasn't giving an opinion on this kid. I tried to watch yesterday but the stream wasn't great for me!