Time For A Change

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

Although it reads well I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'this may be unpopular' and 'treason'. I read it twice in case I had missed what the suggestions were, but there weren't any.

Most I could see was that it was merely the penny dropping Re Corney, just that it was 13 years too late.

I actually expected it to be more unpopular than it appears to be. I fully understand that there are fans who think that questioning the Chairman is somehow failing to support the club. He has considerable goodwill stored up after investing when we desperately needed the money.

I think you are being unfair with your "13 years" comment. I genuinely believe that for many years, we had a chance of progressing. I have been where I am now for probably the last 5 years. On the back of two of the three leaving we did need some security and stabilisation which Simon provided. That has long gone as a strategy though.

28 minutes ago, tGWB said:

We're highly unlikely to ever get enough to simply buy in talent so we seriously need to improve on our coaching and player attitudes to playing for our Club

Interesting point, and not just at first team level.

For all the praise Philliskirk gets from our fans, we don't really get that many come through and make much of an impact...

34 minutes ago, tGWB said:

It simply isn't about spending loads in the transfer market

Both John Sheridan and Richie Wellens were combative and played every game to Win

Tommy Wright another combative player with a decent goals to games ratio

What bemuses me is that all three seem unable to at least get their playing attitude into our players and you wouldn't be looking forward to having to play against a team with a 'midfield' including Richie Wellens, Tommy Wright and John Sheridan !

What happened to 'coaching and improving' players !

Attacking and Defending Corner Kicks

Attacking and Defending Free Kicks

Maximising 'Throw Ins'

Pressing and closing down the opposition

Pass & Go, NOT just hoofing the ball

Being fit enough to keep going for 90mins

On Saturday our lone striker had virtually all the 'passes' to him in the air against two giant Wigan Defenders, No33 being 6'7" :disappointed:

We're highly unlikely to ever get enough to simply buy in talent so we seriously need to improve on our coaching and player attitudes to playing for our Club

Agreed, but the likes of Clarke and Gerrard shouldn't require coaching, both need to up their game IMO.

As you say the the attacking and defending of corners is poor and this is something that even non league teams are good at.

We are often 2nd to the ball, and as for fitness I thought all the Wigan players looked lean, mean and far sharper than ours.

Edited by BP1960

11 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Interesting point, and not just at first team level.

For all the praise Philliskirk gets from our fans, we don't really get that many come through and make much of an impact...

In Saturdays Programme under Academy News, Tony Philliskirk stated

"Last season alone, we sold Chris Renshaw to Everton, an under 12 to Liverpool and under 9 signed for Man City"

"Our under 15 player Jack Williams went away to an England training camp and was the only category 3 player there and in the game he played, he scored two and set one up"

He also talks about when a player first starts with us, its about educating them the Oldham Athletic way

Reads really well and sounds very encouraging and I love the thought of 'the Oldham Athletic Way' but we don't seem to feel it in the first team

"I also understand that Simon says he is ploughing significant funds into the club on an annual basis. If that is the case, it must be better for him to cut some of his losses now rather than keep going."

Maybe he's (they're) banking on land values going up significantly in the future to the extent it's worth losing money (within reason) year in year out ....? 

13 minutes ago, tGWB said:

In Saturdays Programme under Academy News, Tony Philliskirk stated

"Last season alone, we sold Chris Renshaw to Everton, an under 12 to Liverpool and under 9 signed for Man City"

"Our under 15 player Jack Williams went away to an England training camp and was the only category 3 player there and in the game he played, he scored two and set one up"

He also talks about when a player first starts with us, its about educating them the Oldham Athletic way

Reads really well and sounds very encouraging and I love the thought of 'the Oldham Athletic Way' but we don't seem to feel it in the first team

Add ons we hope for the under 9 and 12 kids, and 

reading that it appears Williams will never play in our first team.

5 hours ago, Latics and England said:

Well said. I agree with almost everything.

Sadly I even agree with your last paragraph. If it is true that a large proportion of our fan base are not overly concerned about results, we are finished. It has to be primarily about the football and that means dreaming of success.

Supporting an unsuccessful club is almost a badge of honour with some - young and old....

2 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Stating your opinion that I'm stating my opinion as fact as fact....

Ah I see, do you want me to DM you how to type it so you have not written as if it's fact?

Bollocks, try "I don't think....."

No one knows if we are going down or are going to win the league. 

14 hours ago, LaticMark said:

Even if you just add to cost of buying the land along with the debt to Blitz, you would have to start with a bid of upwards of £10 m, plus whatever Simon Corney paid Blitz and Gazal to buy the football club! Then there is the OEC!

£7M For everything. Cheaper when the Bailiffs are at the door. It is only a matter of time.

1 hour ago, tGWB said:

It simply isn't about spending loads in the transfer market

Both John Sheridan and Richie Wellens were combative and played every game to Win

Tommy Wright another combative player with a decent goals to games ratio

What bemuses me is that all three seem unable to at least get their playing attitude into our players and you wouldn't be looking forward to having to play against a team with a 'midfield' including Richie Wellens, Tommy Wright and John Sheridan !

What happened to 'coaching and improving' players !

Attacking and Defending Corner Kicks

Attacking and Defending Free Kicks

Maximising 'Throw Ins'

Pressing and closing down the opposition

Pass & Go, NOT just hoofing the ball

Being fit enough to keep going for 90mins

On Saturday our lone striker had virtually all the 'passes' to him in the air against two giant Wigan Defenders, No33 being 6'7" :disappointed:

How true. Agree with every word. If the tree of them can't instill a fighting mentality into the team, they don't deserve paying! Get out the coaching and motivation books guys!