Time For A Change

I appreciate this might not be universally popular but here are my thoughts on why it may be time for a change at Boundary Park.

I could have written this at any time in the last 5 years but I have finally reached the point where I can't hold back any longer.

I hope those who disagree will read it before rejecting it out of hand.

http://www.ernieflag.co.uk/site/index.php/bloggs/14-oldham-athletic/198-time-for-a-change

Whilst you can’t write us off and start planning for relegation, you probably can come to a conclusion that it is going to be another long hard season. Teams do come back from this position and challenge for promotion, (Sheffield United did it from somewhere similar last year) but that’s not going to happen

Teams do come back from this position and do get promoted, again, sorry to flog a dead horse but Blackpool 2006/2007 lost their first three and won only two games up until the end of September. 

That very same season we lost two out of the first three, which means we're 3 points worse off than at this stage than we were during out last playoff season. As I recall we had a bit of a goalkeeping and goal scoring crisis at the start of that season too (remember David Knight and Maheta Malongo?). It took us about 8 games to get our shit together in that season and beforehand we looked like relegation fodder.

I don't think for a minute that we are going to get promoted. But having an inquest to why we haven't won one of our 3 leagues is fruitless. The transfer window hasn't shut yet, let's see where we are after 10 games before writing the season off.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Great blog.

I agree with much of what you say, we are being killed by a lack of ambition, proved by Barry's f*ck up on BBC Radio Manchester a couple of years ago, claiming we can't afford to gain promotion. If that's the opinion in the board room, we may aswell all give up now.

Like you, I have found Simon Corney to be a nice guy on the occasions that I've met him. But the last seven years while he's been solo captain of the sinking ship has been painful to say the least. I genuinelt do think he would love to see the club get promoted, but cannot raise the funds to see this happen.

The club was saved and effectively killed to some extent in 2004. Yes, we were saved from administration, but TTA separated the assets from the club, later forming the OEC to run the new stand as a seperate venture from the club. A hammer blow, as you said in your piece. Strategic in their own interests, but not in the clubs, the main downfall.

I'm rambling now... but I think the last thirteen years have been mainly disasterous in terms of the clubs, and the owners, ambitions.

A new owner COULD be a positive step, but that risk is huge. I don't think Simon has the balls to take that risk, especially against his own, and his mates, investment.

Good read.

I can't help but feel if there was a potential owner out there willing to dedicate time and finances to us they'd have come forward by now and made TTA an offer for the job lot.  The Brassbank assets aren't really worth that much in terms of the amount we'd need to spend to get on the track Huddersfield and Brighton are on.

I think our only hope is that it all clicks one season and we get lucky and go up or a crack-pot billionaire with the right intentions buys the club and takes us forward.  I'd take false hope every season with us remaining a prominent, professional team in the third tier ahead of a (really) miserable slide into oblivion.

Spot on. We are in the shit. No sign of players coming in, one keeper and in Fane Banks and Gardner a non league (until recently) midfield. I've given up. Been going since the season we got the littlewoods cup final but can't see me waisting my time or money on this current side. I went to Burton because I'd missed the first game and it was horrific. Time for Simon to go. Shit or bust is the way to go. Ask the Wimbledon fans if they've not enjoyed their journey up the leagues, even the Trannies.

Why the hell have they not tried the cheap season ticket route ala Bradford? Settling for an ever dwindling number of STs and pay on the days.

Current set up is a slow cancerous death. I'd cry tears of joy for an owner like him at Bury.

The issue here is not the start to the season it's the fact we're on the same merry go round into oblivion and the ride gets faster every year. As Mark's article states the SD deal and the new stand were going to make us competitive - what's changed? 

We have an owner who expects us to be grateful for aiming for 20th year after year.

i think he'd sell at the first opportunity if Blitz would let him but somehow he expects to get his loans back. The sooner he realises he won't the sooner we can begin to move forward. 

However the only way out of this mess imo (unless they sell up) is houses on the whole of the site at BP with us in non league and if we have the same owner in 5 years time that's where we will be.

Good blog.

The ground hog day realisation that this season is already descending into a repeat of the last 10 drains away at hope and expectation.

The promises of new additions to the team that have evaporated over the last 3 weeks makes the management of the club look fools. To go into the season with one cast off goalkeeper beggars belief. We try to keep positive and believe that there is a better season ahead,a goal chance to get us off our seats,a goal to cheer,but it doesn't look good.

Ultimately, the problem is that there's no ready solution. 

--- Supporters meeting and questioning Corney hasn't changed anything (I respect and am grateful to the supporters though). 

--- We have a popular manager with experience but the team isn't performing. 

--- Nobody wants to buy in and save us. 

--- Any glimmer of hope we've had in decades has been crapped on swiftly. 

It's soul destroying but I'll still support Latics. 

I must need my head examined. 

There was talk that the Landlords wanted £20million for the whole shebang, including the land and all the stands.

As Portsmouth, a club with a better recent pedigree than us, a significantly larger fan base and a better squad, was sold for £7million, that is the most the Landlords should be asking for.

They paid £1 for the club, but took on its debts although only paid those back at 50p to the £ if what we paid the taxman is anything to go by, they then spent £3 million on the land, but I would wager they have gotten £1million back for the houses.

OK they put some money in early doors, but they aren't entitled to get that money back, if they wanted to make money they shouldn't have bought a football club.

The club may well be for sale but if I was trying to sell a 2004 Vauxhall Corsa for £5000 no one is going to buy it, doesn't mean it isn't technically for sale. Until it is confirmed that the club is for sale at a reasonable price all the talk boardroom about it being for sale doesn't matter.

PS Excellent blog as always L&E

I don't see why that would be unpopular we all know we need investment into the club, and in football terms investment means donation without seeing a financial return.

Take Brighton as an example which was used in the blog. Now they have an owner who is worth over a billion which he made from poker playing and sports gambling (Yeah I'd love to do that aswell) he's also a lifelong Brighton fan. He paid £93million for their new stadium. On top of that he was funding £20 million losses a season in the championship to get to the premiership and that's with a brand new stadium and on crowds over over 25000 a season in the football ownership lottery they have hit the jackpot. Can we really blame Corney that he can't really donate that kind of spending to our football club? Do we really think Corney would stand in the way of someone like that coming in assuming someone like that even exists? I know most of us are not demanding that and dare I say we could achieve something big with much less spending. But if the white knight in shining armour is out there I don't think Corney is going to stand in his way. If Blitz and Gazal will might be another matter on the other hand.

Edited by GlossopLatic

1 hour ago, Clifford said:

No sign of players coming in, one keeper and in Fane Banks and Gardner a non league (until recently) midfield. I've given up.

On the basis of what has Gardner made you give up???

I can understand with Banks and Fane..............both of whom polarise opinions.............but Gardner?

25 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

There was talk that the Landlords wanted £20million for the whole shebang, including the land and all the stands.

An extract from David Conn's article which was published in The Independent, March 2004:-

Simon Blitz and Danny Gazal "funded the club for three months in administration, which cost them £522,500. The preferential creditors, the Inland Revenue and VAT, were owed £715,000 and were paid 32p in the pound: £237,000. "Football Creditors" - other clubs, players and the League's pension deficit - are to be paid £428,000, while Blitz and Gazal paid £120,000 for Oldham's office equipment and other assets. Unsecured creditors, the usual victims including a £30,000 policing bill, local family firms and £1,856.50 unpaid to St John Ambulance, got nothing. The club's ongoing losses are estimated at £1m, and their shoring-up of the club adds up to £2.4m. They are paying £4.6m more for the ground and land."

From Companies House for 2015, Oldham Athletic (2004) accounts stated:- Cash £54.3 k, Net Worth £-4.4 m, Total Current Assets £691.3 k, Total Current Liabilities £9 m.

https://companycheck.co.uk/company/04989487/OLDHAM-ATHLETIC-2004-ASSOCIATION-FOOTBALL-CLUB-LIMITED/companies-house-data#key-financials

Even if you just add to cost of buying the land along with the debt to Blitz, you would have to start with a bid of upwards of £10 m, plus whatever Simon Corney paid Blitz and Gazal to buy the football club! Then there is the OEC!

8 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

I can understand with Banks and Fane..............both of whom polarise opinions.............but Gardner?

Not sure Banks and Fane polarise opinion, I'm pretty certain 99% of our fans think the pair of them are shite but we've sunk so low we now argue over who is the least shite of the shite we have to choose from.

The blog is absolutely spot on and is where I'm at.  It's never been revealed exactly how much Corney and co are demanding for the club, brass bank, oec and whatever other companies are connected to the club.  The question has been asked a few times on various platforms but has always been dodged.

It seems the powers that be want back a full return on their investment. It's easy for me to say as it's not my money but that is unrealistic at the level we are at hence the lack of serious interest. Nobody in their right mind would pay approaching £20m or whatever figure it is for a stagnating third tier club with a dwindling fan base.  So unless the owners are willing to either invest more to fund a promotion assault or cut their losses and sell for a more realistic sum we are well and truly goosed.

Edited by johnafoafc

I came away from Saturday really disappointed with the match and where the season is probably heading, but the fault lies with Sheridan. 

The board have put money and commitment in the summer by giving longer contracts to important players like Clarke, brought it decent prospects like Duffus & signed experienced players in Gardner & Davies.

The issue on Saturday is that the squad and team are unbalanced. One (maybe two-I haven't seen enough of the Belgian) left footed player, midfielders that can only perform as part of a three man midfield & a keeper that looks like what you get if you're signing someone the day before the season.

I'd love to see more investment from Corney, but it'd help massively if Shez didn't go to the Harry Redknapp school of Maths. He knew the budget but seems surprised that he spent it all. There are some players who signed this summer who might not get much game time & that's poor planning. Heard Tony Carrs saying that Wagner was successful at Hudds because they had a way that they were going to play and were precise about who would fit in with that. I don't feel like we've done that & Saturday suggests that Shez doesn't know his best team...yet.

Corney will have to find more money to improve things, but Shez will need to get in exactly what he needs or it'll be a long season.

Simon Corney doesn't and in my opinion has no intention of selling, is it his to sell in any case? Seeking investment is very different to looking for new owners and the snippets we do get relate to finding someone to pump money in not someone to take us forward as Simon still believes he can do that.

He enjoys the kudos of being a footballer chairman and everything that goes with that but he's clearly out of his depth, he seems happy to watch us deteriorate year on year making some horrendous decisions month after month, year after year with no real accountability.

Unfortunately you either have to accept we are being run in such a bad way as I have or you walk away until something changes which is the path thousands of fans have chosen since TTA and in particular SC started running the club. 

The clubs in a sorry state from top to bottom, infighting at the the club and infighting in the stands three games into the season shows you just how bad this situations got and I'd bet my bottom dollar it's going to get worse this season.

One last point I have is 99% of our fans particularly the younger ones are not in it for the glory, some have never seen any - we just want a club and a team we can get behind who can provide a glimmer of hope and a team we can be proud of, unfortunately we can't even do that now and once the hopes lost what have you got left? 

Edited by yarddog73

47 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Simon Corney doesn't and in my opinion has no intention of selling, is it his to sell in any case? Seeking investment is very different to looking for new owners and the snippets we do get relate to finding someone to pump money in not someone to take us forward as Simon still believes he can do that.

He enjoys the kudos of being a footballer chairman and everything that goes with that but he's clearly out of his depth, he seems happy to watch us deteriorate year on year making some horrendous decisions month after month, year after year with no real accountability.

Unfortunately you either have to accept we are being run in such a bad way as I have or you walk away until something changes which is the path thousands of fans have chosen since TTA and in particular SC started running the club. 

The clubs in a sorry state from top to bottom, infighting at the the club and infighting in the stands three games into the season shows you just how bad this situations got and I'd bet my bottom dollar it's going to get worse this season.

One last point I have is 99% of our fans particularly the younger ones are not in it for the glory, some have never seen any - we just want a club and a team we can get behind who can provide a glimmer of hope and a team we can be proud of, unfortunately we can't even do that now and once the hopes lost what have you got left? 

Well said. I agree with almost everything.

Sadly I even agree with your last paragraph. If it is true that a large proportion of our fan base are not overly concerned about results, we are finished. It has to be primarily about the football and that means dreaming of success.

10 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

All former non league players. Just a fact not an opinion on him as a player. Just highlights their levels IMO.

10 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

It's more the cancerous slow death that's making me give up. We seem to have even adopted a playing style to mirror it.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

'infighting at the the club'

where is the evidence to support this?

Edited by oafc1955

Excellent article but ffs dont let senor coco nut(job) read it he' ll have kittens.

On a serious note crowds are going to be sub 3000 soon..if i were corney id be worried, very worried if my main concern was the football club.(its not by the way).

Although it reads well I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'this may be unpopular' and 'treason'. I read it twice in case I had missed what the suggestions were, but there weren't any.

Most I could see was that it was merely the penny dropping Re Corney, just that it was 13 years too late.

It simply isn't about spending loads in the transfer market

Both John Sheridan and Richie Wellens were combative and played every game to Win

Tommy Wright another combative player with a decent goals to games ratio

What bemuses me is that all three seem unable to at least get their playing attitude into our players and you wouldn't be looking forward to having to play against a team with a 'midfield' including Richie Wellens, Tommy Wright and John Sheridan !

What happened to 'coaching and improving' players !

Attacking and Defending Corner Kicks

Attacking and Defending Free Kicks

Maximising 'Throw Ins'

Pressing and closing down the opposition

Pass & Go, NOT just hoofing the ball

Being fit enough to keep going for 90mins

On Saturday our lone striker had virtually all the 'passes' to him in the air against two giant Wigan Defenders, No33 being 6'7" :disappointed:

We're highly unlikely to ever get enough to simply buy in talent so we seriously need to improve on our coaching and player attitudes to playing for our Club