The climb up the table

So while not actually making any real progress yesterday in terms of league position we did put a significant number of points between us and the bottom 4, and bridge the gap between us and the 6 or 8 teams above us. 

I would confidently say we can be classed as a mid table team currently and look upwards rather than down. 

So are the play offs achievable? Or is the start we made going to be The mill stone around our neck this year?

At this point I would say keeping those above us in touching distance is the main thing and yesterday was massive for that especially when you consider our goal difference is becoming much more respectable than it has been. We can even dream of a positive goal difference if we have a good christmas

Next three are games we have to be looking to win. 7/9 points from them and I’d think we’ll be kicking about round the top 10.

When you think Portsmouth are 7th(?) and we went to their place and battered them you have to put us among the contenders. I mean, for a start we have the best striker in the division and one of the best creative mids. That makes any side contenders.

18 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

Next three are games we have to be looking to win. 7/9 points from them and I’d think we’ll be kicking about round the top 10.

When you think Portsmouth are 7th(?) and we went to their place and battered them you have to put us among the contenders. I mean, for a start we have the best striker in the division and one of the best creative mids. That makes any side contenders.

Those two leave on January 1, will be virtually impossible to replace.

16 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

We have great depth in our squad, the only one we would struggle to replace is Byrne in my opinion, Bryan and Doyle are top quality players, but I would say they are easier to replace than Byrne, but still not easy to replace 

Disagree with this. Genuine goal scorers are harder to get, he’s arguably the best in the league. Doyle is harder to replace. 

1 hour ago, oldhamoafc said:

Disagree with this. Genuine goal scorers are harder to get, he’s arguably the best in the league. Doyle is harder to replace. 

I understand where your coming from, just think Byrne has both the potential to play at a higher level, and be worth more in the future due to age, but agree Doyle is going to be very hard to replace and he’s a top striker, investment wise, Byrne is the best option 

If Lemsagam has money then securing Doyle and Byrne is a no-brainer.  

Our style of play suits both players at the moment - if we can match or near what they're being paid then why not play here?  What advantage will there be playing elsewhere?  Granted playing in the Championship and in front of a larger crowd may appeal but another style of play for both could stifle their play.

Just now, deyres42 said:

No but it will be very difficult to find two to come and have the impact that they have.

Not "virtually impossible to replace" anymore then 3 hours after you said they were?

Unless it was a fluke finding and signing these two why can't we just do the same again, or better?  

The resurgence under Wellens has been incredible. It was a 5-1 defeat that handed Wellens the job. If you had told me then in the  aftermath of that match we'd be playing great open football and scoring freely I simply wouldn't have believed you, let alone believe we'd be the ones handing out the 5-1 thrashings.

3 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Just stick with something, anything. 

A bit disappointing your lads yesterday eh? Was that you in the Chaddy End giving it the large?

Been very disappointing season yes.

Didn't go yesterday, the thought of queueing up for a pint in that weather put me off.