What was it like when we were good?

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

He only played 44 times for us and my, admittedly failing, memory of him was that he was injury prone. 
When he passed away a couple of years ago it was mentioned that he was diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma at the age of 33.

Maybe that in some way had impacted his career?

Still a great player to watch when he was marauding down the wing 👍

I worked with Andy when he was a wagon driver for the building section on the water board. He used to do keep ups at lunch time in a cobbled yard, with a flat football, wearing toe tector boots, mug of tea in one hand and a butty in the other, always had a smile on his face. Great lad, sadly missed.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/22/2022 at 11:55 PM, BP1960 said:

Stainrid was class from his very first game, why Sheffield United let a player of his quality go so cheaply is bewildering.

Groves and Shaw also fall into the same bewildering category.

Simon Stainrod still my favourite player in 50 years of watching Latics and can't see that changing whilst I'm alive! Great skill and a real entertainer I am privileged to having seen him play for the short time he did for us.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/21/2022 at 8:18 PM, BP1960 said:

And remember Andy Sweeney our very own George Best?  He had plenty of  pace and dribbling skills so what went wrong with his career is a mystery to me.

Yes, Sweeney was being hailed as a future star when he was in the reserves circa 1969-70, and there was the occasional George Best comparison, which also extended to his looks.

He did have two excellent opportunities to establish himself in the first team, firstly in the 1971-72 season, when Don Heath lost his place in the side, and again in 1972-73 when George McVitie was out of action for over three months after emergency surgery for a perforated ulcer. 

The match reports from that time often mention his ball control and dribbling skills, but also the fact that there was little end product. He also wasn't a great finisher, which couldn't have helped.

He did get a much better chance to establish himself than Ian Buckley though. He came into the side for a handful of games on the left wing in the middle of 1971-72, but then seems to have disappeared without trace. I think he initially lost his place due to injury problems. He was an England Youth International, from whom great things were expected.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2019 at 12:21 PM, No Pyro No Party said:

The AL regime is feeling like our version of Brexit right now and for us younger fans it's a big low point (quite literally and I can give you 88 reasons why).

I'm in my mid-twenties and went to my first game back in 2003: Latics 1-7 Caridff -- Andy Goram ruined my childhood with that performance. I've absolutely no memories of us doing well besides the odd cup run or play-off push (QPR, Blackpool), just a relegation now etched into my memory. My generation are all in the same boat though so it'd be good to hear what it was like back when we were a top flight time (I'm talking mainly during our spell in the Prem). Make me dream of a Latics not plagued by Barry Owen's presence. 

How busy was it around BP? Were all the pubs full? How often would you go to watch Latics? Where was best in the ground for atmosphere? What was it like when big teams came up, i.e. Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea? What was the anticipation like for those fixtures? Was there any belief we could've stayed in the Prem? Were people actually... Gulp... Happy with the club?

Would be good to hear what it was like when we were decent. Plus I know this forum is full of old codgers so there can't be a shortage of tales.

From all iam hearing and seeing on social media about the club since the takeover you may not have to long to find out what it feels like when we have a good positive club strap in its gonna be a hell of a ride 

Archived