What was it like when we were good?

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

I think it was the second best selling song of 1973. I'm currently in a (losing) battle to have it played as first dance at my wedding in August. 

And your still going through with it ? Cant see it lasting clearly not compatible 😁

8 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

My Dad likes to remind me that we began playing it when we were at the bottom of the 4th division (so circa 69-70) and it accompanied our rise up the leagues and as a result it became a staple of the Boundary Park play list.

Perhaps one of our senior posters may wish to correct me or confirm that this was the case?

Unlikely. It isn't that old. It's a satire on decimalisation by the way, just in case anyone was wondering. 

...and here are Lieutenant Pigeon performing 'Mouldy Old Dough'. You can see the Marc Bolan influence from the fact that the male members of the group are wearing glitter dust or silver stars beneath their eyes, and the bass guitarist is wearing women's shoes. You wouldn't really call Hilda Woodward (the pianist) a glam rocker though, but you never know...

19 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Mouldy old dough

Their is a gofund me campaign to get a blue plaque outside the house where mouldy old dough was recorded they just need a couple of hundred quid to get them over the line if anyone is interested....

Pete Chambers

16 hrs  · 

Wow I can't really believe this, we reached the target in about 30 hours!!! So to all who donated you guys are amazing as are the Oldham Athletic fans who gave because Mouldy Old Dough is the song played at all their matches. More details soon.....

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2022 at 4:37 PM, Diego_Sideburns said:

The blue plaque was unveiled today and covered in both BBC and ITV evening news programmes, with a reference to Latics in both:

BBC Midlands Today from 22:35:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0014l85/midlands-today-evening-news-18022022

ITV News Central West Midlands from 22:00:

https://www.itv.com/news/central/2021-04-13/itv-central-catch-up-on-the-latest-programme-for-the-west-midlands

You may need to see them via the i-Players.

The '50 Years of Mouldy Old Dough' Exhibition opens at Coventry Music Museum tomorrow 19 Feb.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Covmusic/permalink/4774241229355230/

On 1/18/2020 at 6:00 PM, fleetwood Blue said:

I remember a Friday night game in December 1990 when we beat Plymouth 5-3, i was 13 years old thinking at the time we are definitely getting promoted to the top league and im now supporting the best and most exciting attacking team in England..Big Joe and Willie had put together a team that was capable of beating anybody on their day on plastic or grass..The buzz about the place was unreal and the atmosphere standing on the Chaddy with my grandad is something i will never forget..We used to spend the journey from Fleetwood to Oldham chatting about how many will Roger or Andy score today and the expectancy of a thrashing for anyone we played..Going to the last game already conceding in my head that West Ham had won the league, shez giving away that pen for sheff weds and Redfearn slotting it home with almost the last kick of the game to win 3-2, the game everybody dreamt of..

I feel sorry for those who have been brought up as Oldham fans from 1995 onwards, the downward spiral and the constant mediocre performances with Many dreadful teams and ownership with no ambition..Up until this season i was still travelling to games as a season ticket holder, my poor daughter being one of those unlucky enough to be born in the 2000’s so Often asks me why do i still watch Oldham when there are about 20 other teams from my house to Boundary Park..My Grandad has a lot to answer for..We live in the past with the memorys of those glory days, we all want them to return and to experience those few years once more, they may never happen..

OMG I have just seen this. I think. I made the plymouth game on the back of the work xmas party. I had no idea what the score was but remember us scoring thirty and Kenny Brown was the best opposition player I had ever seen

20 hours ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

The blue plaque was unveiled today and covered in both BBC and ITV evening news programmes, with a reference to Latics in both:

BBC Midlands Today from 22:35:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0014l85/midlands-today-evening-news-18022022

ITV News Central West Midlands from 22:00:

https://www.itv.com/news/central/2021-04-13/itv-central-catch-up-on-the-latest-programme-for-the-west-midlands

You may need to see them via the i-Players.

The '50 Years of Mouldy Old Dough' Exhibition opens at Coventry Music Museum tomorrow 19 Feb.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Covmusic/permalink/4774241229355230/

Just listening to the track, takes me back to 2.30 pm on a Saturday in the old Chaddy end in 1973/4 season, and the announcer with the team news   over the top ..." Welcome to Boundary Park,..." great stuff, 

One of my clearest memories of Saturday afternoon games at Boundary Park was the announcement shortly after 4 pm, in the broadest Oldham accent you ever heard, 'Ere are the alf-time scores!' It was one of the benefits of the 3:15 Saturday kick-off time that all these scores were available by then.

I also recall on a handful of occasions seeing a fairly elderly chap walking from right to left across the front of the Chaddy End at around 4:30 pm selling some sort of newspaper (it wasn't the Green Final), and shouting at the top of his voice "Alf time scores, Ringa Dinga Ding!" He didn't get many customers, as everyone in the crowd would already know the half-time scores, and if they stayed behind in the ground until about five minutes after the final whistle, they could have heard all the full-time results being announced.

Does anyone happen to know the name of the pre-match music played over the public address system before the 'Mouldy Old Dough' era? It was an entirely instrumental piece, beginning with a referee's whistle being blown, and I recall it from around the 1969-70 period. I also remember hearing it at Chesterfield when the Latics played there in March 1974.

30 minutes ago, Summerdeep said:

One of my clearest memories of Saturday afternoon games at Boundary Park was the announcement shortly after 4 pm, in the broadest Oldham accent you ever heard, 'Ere are the alf-time scores!' It was one of the benefits of the 3:15 Saturday kick-off time that all these scores were available by then.

I also recall on a handful of occasions seeing a fairly elderly chap walking from right to left across the front of the Chaddy End at around 4:30 pm selling some sort of newspaper (it wasn't the Green Final), and shouting at the top of his voice "Alf time scores, Ringa Dinga Ding!" He didn't get many customers, as everyone in the crowd would already know the half-time scores, and if they stayed behind in the ground until about five minutes after the final whistle, they could have heard all the full-time results being announced.

Does anyone happen to know the name of the pre-match music played over the public address system before the 'Mouldy Old Dough' era? It was an entirely instrumental piece, beginning with a referee's whistle being blown, and I recall it from around the 1969-70 period. I also remember hearing it at Chesterfield when the Latics played there in March 1974.

Emerson Lake & Palmer “Fanfare for the Common Man” circa 1977

4 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Was played before then. Remember it from my first game - NYD 1990

Think you are probably right there Andy. but not much before. My brother can't remember what was before Leiutenant Pigeon unfortunately

Any one here still have fond memories of queuing 12 hours overnight for Anfield tickets back in the summer of '91 - there were vans offloading armchairs and sofa's for comfort, card schools, beer kegs, whiff of something exotic and incredible people. Queue stretched around the ground by dawn. #whenweweregood

10 hours ago, AndyGortonsMatches said:

Any one here still have fond memories of queuing 12 hours overnight for Anfield tickets back in the summer of '91 - there were vans offloading armchairs and sofa's for comfort, card schools, beer kegs, whiff of something exotic and incredible people. Queue stretched around the ground by dawn. #whenweweregood

I'd been to a wedding in Huddersfield before joining the queue. I'll never forget the side-splitting humour coming from a group of lads next to me in the queue, which helped the time to pass more quickly. :laught16:

On 3/1/2022 at 11:18 PM, AndyGortonsMatches said:

not exactly fond but still a memory from happy days spent most of the night sat on a car floor mat outside the paddock turnstile did meet some good lads that night and the sense of camaraderie was there was worth it to be at Anfield  for that game .

Wow it's been a long time since I've posted on here, in fact until the last few weeks since I even looked at the site.

I've been very lapsed, I didn't like the Ronnie Moore era and gave up going to home games after an awful 0-0 against Tranmere. I wasn't particularly enamoured by Corney and his cronies either, and instead just did away games. 

As time went on, I just did fewer and fewer aways until 3 years ago I didn't go to a single game in a season for the first time since 1974. 

Lately though, and probably instigated by the return of Shez, I've popped in to a few homes and started taking my little un.

She's not really that much into it, but likes the day out with her friend, little Mr Shankley, and saw her first goal today which she was well pleased about.

But when I was a kid I was mad keen and even though we were a fairly mediocre second division side, I loved it. I remember crying when I found out that Jimmy Frizzell had been sacked, in fact from 1974 until Big Joe left, I only saw 2 managers in charge at BP in over 20 years.

But back onto topic, I am of the age where the glory years coincided with my becoming a teen with money. And I went everywhere whenever I could.

All the cavalier football has been discussed on here, and believe me, it was more fabulous that any latics fan could have ever imagined or wished for.

But for me, it was a sense of community. I knew hundreds of latics fans and in the days before the internet you'd just turn up at Piccadilly and know that you'd bump into someone that you knew or had nodded at before, over time those nods became drinks, then drinks became mates.

So yeah, beating City is always my big thing and it happened many times, but those far flung away games are the ones that always stand out for me.

IoM 1986, Plymouth, Brighton, Charlton all the further trips where you found the dedicated others like yourself made it for me.

Ipswich and getting promoted was my personal highlight. It far outweighed getting to Wembley. Anyone can win a cup with a touch of good fortune, but the best team always wins the league.

We were fucking magnificent.

Having to sleep on Sheepfoot Lane to get tickets for away games. I remember our first two aways were Liverpool and United, and you had to choose. I chose Liverpool and I can't remember how we didn't sell everything for old Trafford but I got one for the latics end for that too.

We were so swashbuckling, we'd get pasted one week then go and take someone to the cleaners the next.

I did pretty much every game for about six or seven seasons from 86, but my favourite game other than Ipswich was the day we got relegated at Norwich.

Somehow and there's been too many beers to remember how, I got hooked up with a mate of Mike Milligan who got me a player's lounge ticket for after the game.

Even on the day of the game, I was convinced that Wimbledon would turn over a poor Everton side and we would repeat the feat of the previous season and pull off a miraculous last day escape.

It didn't happen though and I was heartbroken at getting relegated from the top flight. I sat in a corner and cried. 

Craig Fleming came over to me and gave me the most massive hug and bought me a pint.

He said we'd be back, but we've not even been close.

That was it, Joe left, we got Sharvey and fell away.

Those days though, you had to be there, they were magnificent.

Derek Wilson 

Posted 1 minute ago

Having to sleep on Sheepfoot Lane to get tickets for away games. I remember our first two aways were Liverpool and United, and you had to choose. I chose Liverpool and I can't remember how we didn't sell everything for old Trafford but I got one for the latics end for that too.

Good to hear from you Derek.

I got two tickets off a ManU season ticket holder in with the Reds - it turned nasty when Ricky Holden's late 'equaliser' was ruled out.

1 hour ago, DerekWilson_1968 said:

Wow it's been a long time since I've posted on here, in fact until the last few weeks since I even looked at the site.

I've been very lapsed, I didn't like the Ronnie Moore era and gave up going to home games after an awful 0-0 against Tranmere. I wasn't particularly enamoured by Corney and his cronies either, and instead just did away games. 

As time went on, I just did fewer and fewer aways until 3 years ago I didn't go to a single game in a season for the first time since 1974. 

Lately though, and probably instigated by the return of Shez, I've popped in to a few homes and started taking my little un.

She's not really that much into it, but likes the day out with her friend, little Mr Shankley, and saw her first goal today which she was well pleased about.

But when I was a kid I was mad keen and even though we were a fairly mediocre second division side, I loved it. I remember crying when I found out that Jimmy Frizzell had been sacked, in fact from 1974 until Big Joe left, I only saw 2 managers in charge at BP in over 20 years.

But back onto topic, I am of the age where the glory years coincided with my becoming a teen with money. And I went everywhere whenever I could.

All the cavalier football has been discussed on here, and believe me, it was more fabulous that any latics fan could have ever imagined or wished for.

But for me, it was a sense of community. I knew hundreds of latics fans and in the days before the internet you'd just turn up at Piccadilly and know that you'd bump into someone that you knew or had nodded at before, over time those nods became drinks, then drinks became mates.

So yeah, beating City is always my big thing and it happened many times, but those far flung away games are the ones that always stand out for me.

IoM 1986, Plymouth, Brighton, Charlton all the further trips where you found the dedicated others like yourself made it for me.

Ipswich and getting promoted was my personal highlight. It far outweighed getting to Wembley. Anyone can win a cup with a touch of good fortune, but the best team always wins the league.

We were fucking magnificent.

We were so swashbuckling, we'd get pasted one week then go and take someone to the cleaners the next.

I did pretty much every game for about six or seven seasons from 86, but my favourite game other than Ipswich was the day we got relegated at Norwich.

Somehow and there's been too many beers to remember how, I got hooked up with a mate of Mike Milligan who got me a player's lounge ticket for after the game.

Even on the day of the game, I was convinced that Wimbledon would turn over a poor Everton side and we would repeat the feat of the previous season and pull off a miraculous last day escape.

It didn't happen though and I was heartbroken at getting relegated from the top flight. I sat in a corner and cried. 

Craig Fleming came over to me and gave me the most massive hug and bought me a pint.

He said we'd be back, but we've not even been close.

That was it, Joe left, we got Sharvey and fell away.

Those days though, you had to be there, they were magnificent.

Wotcha Derek!

On 2/19/2022 at 5:19 PM, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

Just listening to the track, takes me back to 2.30 pm on a Saturday in the old Chaddy end in 1973/4 season, and the announcer with the team news   over the top ..." Welcome to Boundary Park,..." great stuff, 

Mouldy Old Dough was played at H/T on Saturday (didn't do us much good) is that the norm these days? It was only my second home game this season and I can't remember if it was played at H/T v Rochdale. Clearly it needs to be played before KO!

Archived