Match day 1990 FA cup semi finals re-runs 18.04.2020

8 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Indeed so but how he was ahead of Warhurst in the pecking order to get the chance....  Had Warhurst been injured?

I think Joe wanted to have a bit more muscle at the back, Holden was known as the enforcer. I was a fan of Warhurst though. From what I remember (I was 14) was that Barrett and Holden worked as a tag team to keep Hughes quiet!!.

Great watching that again. I remember listening to the Palace game just after getting into Maine Rd. and everyone around convinced we could do the same. If Henry's shot hadn't been cleared. Barrett was offside, but who cares.

It's so sad that we are where we are now.

Originally Andy Holden and Ian Marshall were our first choice centre halves , Earl playing at full back .

They were both injured I recall and Barrett / Warhurst became the new combination.

I understand why the choice was made , but I thought it was incorrect and still do.

There is certainly no way Danny Wallace would have zoomed clear down the middle of the pitch.

I recall walking to the ground as a coach carrying United fans went beserk ......clearly it wasn't Liverpool who had just gone 4-3 up.

I thought we were the better team in both games.

I got on the coach home after the replay , somebody spoke to me and I literally could not speak I was that gutted.

They were wonderful days , we heard no more about only playing well on plastic after pushing United to the limit on live TV.

The first live FA CUP Semi finals , both on the Beeb , one after another ......I don't think the day has ever been matched.

8 minutes ago, stargazer said:

The first live FA CUP Semi finals , both on the Beeb , one after another ......I don't think the day has ever been matched.

Because of Hillsborough to a significant degree

Entirely because of Hillsborough.

Hard to recall we were playing a home game whilst the Hillsborough semi final was being played. 

I did not know anything about it until leaving the ground and listening to the final scores on my transistor radio.

22 hours ago, stargazer said:

They were wonderful days , we heard no more about only playing well on plastic after pushing United to the limit on live TV.

Wasn't it made a great deal by Portsmouth, who's manager at the time said we could only play on plastic, and we went and hammered them 4-1.

3 hours ago, Mickey Quinn's testicles said:

I don't think Royle trusted Warhurst. I seem to remember one game where Royle substituted him after about 20 minutes when he'd gone on a run up front and got out of position when he was supposed to be playing at the back. Whenever Andy Holden was fit (which wasn't very often given he only played 22 games for us in 6 years!) he was back in the team.

And when fit, Holden was a very good defender.

Archived