Dearnley

3 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

I still don’t get it. Dearnley is a professional athlete and is supported by a team of experts...surely it can’t be beyond them (and him) to get him fit and capable of playing football which is one of the least complex or technical sports out there?

Unfortunately I think there's very likely a genetic physiological issue with Dearnley that isn't his fault and is not one even the best experts in the world could help him with. 

His speed and explosive nature very likely means he's got lots of fast twitch muscle fibres. Great for speed but not good for durability and don't repair very well. He gets the sort of muscle issue that most footballers get over there career and it doesn't repair very well and leaves him vulnerable to repeated injuries, especially in the damaged leg(s). 

The most prominent example of similar issues that I can think of is Michael Owen. He didn't play that many games over a 15+ year career. 

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I wonder if he's has similar problems in the past, he did drop into non league.

He has shown he can bounce back so hope its soon.

IIRC he dropped into non-league as his contract at Man United was up and not renewed but he was injured. So he played for New Mills for a few months after returning from injury to build match-fitness. I don't think EFL clubs could sign him as it was after the November deadline. Signing for New Mills was his best option as it meant he could sign for an EFL team once possible. This is akin to how we signed Lockwood from Guiseley after he'd been released by Bury. 

I think we may have offered him a contract when his contract wasn't renewed at United if he was fit. As we signed him pretty quickly once we could do so. 

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

The most prominent example of similar issues that I can think of is Michael Owen. He didn't play that many games over a 15+ year career. 

He may not have played as many as he should have but he did play 362 club games plus 89 internationals in that time 😃

The better example is Jack Wilshere I think.

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

He may not have played as many as he should have but he did play 362 club games plus 89 internationals in that time 😃

The better example is Jack Wilshere I think.

I suppose the comparison was more to do with Owen being a short player who can sprint so he is more like Owen so they may suffer the same type of injuries. Owens biggest problem was probably that he played too many games to early once he was past 26 he was pretty much finished as a top striker when many are still coming into their prime

Dearnley does still have time on his side we are just going to have to manage his body somewhat.

4 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I suppose the comparison was more to do with Owen being a short player who can sprint so he is more like Owen so they may suffer the same type of injuries. Owens biggest problem was probably that he played too many games to early once he was past 26 he was pretty much finished as a top striker when many are still coming into their prime

Dearnley does still have time on his side we are just going to have to manage his body somewhat.

His body is more suited to the casket carried down Sheepfoot Lane yesterday. 

Archived