Best pre-match pubs for stag-do on 15th April

Hello. There's a group of around 20 of us travelling down from Edinburgh over Easter Weekend for a stag-do and we're attending the Oldham game on the Friday (15th).

I'd be grateful for recommendations on pubs to go to before the game. Looking for somewhere close to the ground. We had earmarked the Greyhound Inn. Will they be "stag friendly"? If not, is there anywhere else that is? Would we need to book in places in advance?

Thanks!

On 4/4/2022 at 4:03 PM, rossmeik said:

Hello. There's a group of around 20 of us travelling down from Edinburgh over Easter Weekend for a stag-do and we're attending the Oldham game on the Friday (15th).

I'd be grateful for recommendations on pubs to go to before the game. Looking for somewhere close to the ground. We had earmarked the Greyhound Inn. Will they be "stag friendly"? If not, is there anywhere else that is? Would we need to book in places in advance?

Thanks!

As an Oldham fan I can think of about a million destinations I'd prefer for a stag do and that's without the added misery of the match 

Been a long time since I did pre match pubs but I would think the greyhound would be fine as long as you aren't planning on getting your willy's out and burning the place down 

Thanks!

Ross -  Oldham has suffered more than most towns regarding pub closures (we won't delve into the reasons). For example, very quickly off the top of my head I can name 22 pubs in just Oldham town centre that are no longer around. The whole borough was once famous for its nightlife - certainly not any more. With regard to "near the ground" your party would have had a great time in The Queens, Brook Tavern, Royal, Trap Inn, Old Grey Mare etc. - but they've all gone too! You get the drift. Personally, I would venture into a district of Oldham called Royton (fairly close to the ground) - still plenty of pubs and bars around there and some much more suited to a stag type atmosphere than the Greyhound would be (in my opinion). Good luck. Hibs fans by any chance?

Thanks!

Go to the Carter’s or railway and stick to Royton which isn’t a bad night out close to the ground 👍

On 4/10/2022 at 3:04 PM, oafc21 said:

Go to the Carter’s or railway and stick to Royton which isn’t a bad night out close to the ground 👍

I can agree there - I was in The Railway in Royton yesterday and the cask J W Lees bitter was on form - plus they sell plenty of other beers and ciders.

It's only about 15 minuets walk to the ground too.

Where ever you end up - enjoy the beer and the match - have a safe trip.

55 minutes ago, Millibob said:

I can agree there - I was in The Railway in Royton yesterday and the cask J W Lees bitter was on form - plus they sell plenty of other beers and ciders.

It's only about 15 minuets walk to the ground too.

Where ever you end up - enjoy the beer and the match - have a safe trip.

It's a  about a mile to the ground, the 409 bus drops off at Sheepfoot Lane.

The Greyhound is fine for pre match drinks and stags will probably be very welcome .. walking distance to the ground.... Royton Centre there are a few bars that are good and well populated .. plus there are food places galore 

Archived