If the Aussies got upset by the members at Lords, they better brace themselves for Headingley. FWIW I thought Bairstow got what he deserved, too many players take liberty's but rules are rules. The third umpire got both big calls right. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, disjointed said:

If the Aussies got upset by the members at Lords, they better brace themselves for Headingley. FWIW I thought Bairstow got what he deserved, too many players take liberty's but rules are rules. The third umpire got both big calls right. 

Just on the Bairstow thing, is he taking liberties? He's not doing that to gain an advantage is he? Just seems to be wandering early for the pre ball conflab. Given the state of over rates these days he should probably be applauded not punished!

It seems more that the Aussies took a chance to get a key wicket on a technicality rather than during the normal course of play. I have an issue with that but understand why others wouldn't.  Agreed that the calls were correct.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Just on the Bairstow thing, is he taking liberties? He's not doing that to gain an advantage is he? Just seems to be wandering early for the pre ball conflab. Given the state of over rates these days he should probably be applauded not punished!

It seems more that the Aussies took a chance to get a key wicket on a technicality rather than during the normal course of play. I have an issue with that but understand why others wouldn't.  Agreed that the calls were correct.

Bairstow had done the same thing the previous 2 balls, whilst it would have been in the spirit of the game for the Aussies to warn him, this also makes me think it was a conscious decision by the wicket keeper. Would I have withdrawn the appeal my answer to that is yes. The game was built on sportsmanship, these values are being eroded. 

On 7/3/2023 at 6:42 PM, disjointed said:

Bairstow had done the same thing the previous 2 balls, whilst it would have been in the spirit of the game for the Aussies to warn him, this also makes me think it was a conscious decision by the wicket keeper. Would I have withdrawn the appeal my answer to that is yes. The game was built on sportsmanship, these values are being eroded. 

some England Captains would have withdrawn the appeal under pressure, altho Steve Harmison to Unzamam and Ollie Pope against new zealand(?) instantly popped into my mind.

the Aussies however play hard and were (wrongly) pissed off from the bungled catch so were never withdrawing that.

as an aside the Aussies are totally ignoring the simple law that if you catch a ball and slide into the boundary it is a six, that is the whole point about 'having control'. he did not have any control when he put the ball down.

Edited by Monty Burns
Unzamam is a Z not an S ya darft racist 🙄

25 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

great mornings Cricket 😎

bad from Jonny again tho

Mark Wood. What a difference having a proper fast bowler in.

I can't see past having to bring Foakes in. Is his lower average (20 runs ish lower than Bairstow?) more of a negative than what these missed chances cost? We are also bleeding extras, how much would that come down with a keeper change?

18 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Mark Wood. What a difference having a proper fast bowler in.

I can't see past having to bring Foakes in. Is his lower average (20 runs ish lower than Bairstow?) more of a negative than what these missed chances cost? We are also bleeding extras, how much would that come down with a keeper change?

taking the batting in isolation, Foakes was integral more than once on the 11 match run simply bc the rest had slogged themselves out for a low score and Foakes 'steadied the ship'.

taking the keeping in isolation, if you lose two tests for less than a hundred runs and your keeper dropped two catches and missed a stumping then theres the match won/lost.

combine to the two and it has been painfully predictable, l probably even said it further up!!

• Like 1