lets not annoy the none lovers of thwacking leather with your wood by talking about it in the Football forum!!

does anybody know if Glenn McGrath has predicted 5-0 to 'stralia yet? 🙄

Josh Tongue justly rewarded for his Lions performanes l note.  l bet he can hit a few helmets with that physique!!

"'5-0," he told the Daily Mail. "But I'm not going to ever say anything else, am I? I might be being a bit tongue-in-cheek.

"Australia have not won a series in England since 2001. They will need to start well. They can't let England go 1-0 up with the way England are playing at the moment."

And, echoing comments made when he spoke to Mirror Sport in November, McGrath drew comparisons between the Australia side he played in and England's new 'Bazball' approach. "If you play without fear, it's amazing what you can achieve," he added.

On 6/2/2023 at 4:23 PM, Monty Burns said:

we can read nothing into this Ireland match. absolutely nothing.

Oh I don't know about that... we managed to injure both Leach and Stokes... I read something in to that - it was a fucking dumb decision to play it!

3 hours ago, Ackey said:

Oh I don't know about that... we managed to injure both Leach and Stokes... I read something in to that - it was a fucking dumb decision to play it!

yeah l also changed my mind and decided (re)discovering Tongue too, but l didnt want to appear to be talking only with myself!!!

l think Moeen will come back, but l want Adil to come back..

4 hours ago, Ackey said:

I'm not sure it is fair to suggest the game against Ireland injured Leach. It is reasonably likely that his back injury would have become apparent in the first test or two or even in the county games between now and then.

It is probably better for England that Leach's injury was diagnosed before the Ashes rather than in the middle of a test match.

6 hours ago, rudemedic said:

I'm not sure it is fair to suggest the game against Ireland injured Leach. It is reasonably likely that his back injury would have become apparent in the first test or two or even in the county games between now and then.

It is probably better for England that Leach's injury was diagnosed before the Ashes rather than in the middle of a test match.

l reckon he did it saving one run down at long leg one time too many, its not really a spinner injury is it?

admired the bravery of it but he took it too far at times.

53 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

l reckon he did it saving one run down at long leg one time too many, its not really a spinner injury is it?

admired the bravery of it but he took it too far at times.

Actually it's probably more of a bowler injury and probably more spinners than quicks. Athletes who perform a lot of monotonous and repetitive movements, and rotation will not help.

11 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Actually it's probably more of a bowler injury and probably more spinners than quicks. Athletes who perform a lot of monotonous and repetitive movements, and rotation will not help.

lve seen a few quicks do it over the years, Jimmy, Broad, Pollock, Steyn.

never seen a slow bowler do it. such a shame for him after battling all the other complications 😞

• Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 10:44 AM, Monty Burns said:

that declaration was ridiculous 😳

And it is going to come back to haunt them. Leave Root out there and stick another 50 on the board. As much as I love this England, the one thing they shouldn't have done was take the piss out of the Aussies on day one. 

What a great test match that was.

It ebbed and flowed each day. Great entertainment.

I can understand the declaration. Try and get a wicket in the short batting spell the Aussies had, but It did not work.

It's hard to judge how many more runs England would have got in the 1st innings if they had continued. It could possibly ended in a draw, seeing the weather on the last day. I don't think it was a turning point.

I think it was a gamble by England to select Ali, as he was a little wayward. Did he have the finger injury before the game?

I am not impressed with Bairstow's keeping. That could have had more of an affect on the result than the declaration.

I think some of the comments above come from disappointment England fans are feeling. Most of the 5th day England held the advantage, but it slipped away at the end.

I can imagine the England fans groans as the winning runs were scored, just as I jumped out of my seat with arms in the air at the same time.

If the whole series is going to be like that we are in for some great entertainment. Whoever wins the Ashes.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2023 at 4:07 AM, Ex_pat said:

What a great test match that was.

It ebbed and flowed each day. Great entertainment.

I can understand the declaration. Try and get a wicket in the short batting spell the Aussies had, but It did not work.

It's hard to judge how many more runs England would have got in the 1st innings if they had continued. It could possibly ended in a draw, seeing the weather on the last day. I don't think it was a turning point.

I think it was a gamble by England to select Ali, as he was a little wayward. Did he have the finger injury before the game?

I am not impressed with Bairstow's keeping. That could have had more of an affect on the result than the declaration.

I think some of the comments above come from disappointment England fans are feeling. Most of the 5th day England held the advantage, but it slipped away at the end.

I can imagine the England fans groans as the winning runs were scored, just as I jumped out of my seat with arms in the air at the same time.

If the whole series is going to be like that we are in for some great entertainment. Whoever wins the Ashes.

l made my comments above way before we lost but other than that yeah 👍🏻

l will never understand an all pace attack and why were they all so slow?

in the absence of Archer, Mark Wood should be playing to provided pace from the 'pace' bowlers.

Pope injury perfect opportunity to restore Foakes, playing without a 'keeper is also something l fail to understand.

The Aussies proving just as strong as l feared and we are sticking sticks in our own spokes 😞.

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Bairstow was out tho and its fully his fault, l was stunned by the reaction of the members 😳

If you're out trying to get an advantage, eg mankad then I wouldn't have much sympathy, it's fair game.  But he's just wandering down the pitch for a chat. He thought it was over and the ball was dead, the umpire at the bowlers end was reaching down for a hat. Bairstow naive? Yes. Technically out? Yes. Cunt's trick? Absolutely!

I did think it's all been a bit too pally pally so far, just mates having a knock about and a laugh. It's the Ashes, England should be fired up for it! Hopefully they will be now.

Desperately need Wood in at Headingley. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

If you're out trying to get an advantage, eg mankad then I wouldn't have much sympathy, it's fair game.  But he's just wandering down the pitch for a chat. He thought it was over and the ball was dead, the umpire at the bowlers end was reaching down for a hat. Bairstow naive? Yes. Technically out? Yes. Cunt's trick? Absolutely!

I did think it's all been a bit too pally pally so far, just mates having a knock about and a laugh. It's the Ashes, England should be fired up for it! Hopefully they will be now.

Desperately need Wood in at Headingley. 

its been a great series on the eye and this should make it even better!!

nearly always see players at the end of an over ground the bat and look at the umpire so thats all lm really using as my basis. 

even tho l agree it was out l'll be barracking them like anything if l make it to any of the remaining days, like they did to Broad all winter after he didnt walk the series before. it was the perfect guy to walk out and play the theatricals wasnt it 🤣🤣🤣🤣

21 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

its been a great series on the eye and this should make it even better!!

nearly always see players at the end of an over ground the bat and look at the umpire so thats all lm really using as my basis. 

even tho l agree it was out l'll be barracking them like anything if l make it to any of the remaining days, like they did to Broad all winter after he didnt walk the series before. it was the perfect guy to walk out and play the theatricals wasnt it 🤣🤣🤣🤣

"You'll be remembered forever for that."  absolutely cracking sledge from Broady.

I also enjoyed the repeated joke of grounding his bat. Done too many times for it to still be funny, but then he pressed on and kept doing it every single ball which made it much funnier than it was in the first place!!